My small network

MGCJerry

Limp Gawd
Updated Diagram: June 4, 2017 & added picture

While not as [H] as I used to be with 30+ old machines crunching seti classic my network is now smaller than what it used to be. But much more manageable. All my network stuff is in an old stereo stand and hardly picture worthy compared to everything else I see here...

So, here is a simple diagram of the layout.
network.png

I'll post a picture whenever I get around to feeling like getting a picture of the "cabinet".

"Cabinet Picture"
network.jpg

Last edited:
I'd take care of that R7000 if you haven't already done so.

Yup sbin, already on it. Installed the firmware as soon as it was made available. Personally, if it were up to me I'd load DD-WRT on it and not be constrained by netgear. Its my SO's router, so she makes the calls.

Yes ComputerBox, I'm double NATing. Primarily to keep my servers inaccessible to the wifi facing devices. The R7000 lacks ability to separate LAN & wifi devices. It can however isolate the guest wifi from LAN devices. Found it to be the easiest solution. Plus my router has all my ip assignments and I didnt have to reconfigure stuff because of a LAN ip change so that was an added bonus.

I've double NATed in the past, don't like doing it but lot of ISPs force you to use their router so it leave you with no other choice. I managed to find a way to bypass my ISP's router so was able to get rid of the double NAT. There is still a router device which handles the IPTV but it passively passes the internet to my firewall. Basically someone who has my ISP wrote a custom firmware for an Asus router that allowed to do that, so kinda got lucky there.

In this case though it looks like it's your own router so could definitely convert that into vlans instead. Have your router connect straight to the switch and configure vlans and then firewall rules for what they can access then at the switch you can just split stuff up.

While not as [H] as I used to be with 30+ old machines crunching seti classic my network is now smaller than what it used to be. But much more manageable. All my network stuff is in an old stereo stand and hardly picture worthy compared to everything else I see here...

So, here is a simple diagram of the layout.
network.png

I'll post a picture whenever I get around to feeling like getting a picture of the "cabinet".

Id still really like to see a picture. I also wonder if the dl360's need any parts? I have a g3 im going to part with very soon.

An update:

I have bought a new router and reconfigured the network a bit. I am no longer double NAT'd. I have updated the picture in the first post. May have to force refresh to see it.. I'll see about getting a camera and snapping a picture when I'm done screwing around with other things.

For power protection I'm using a TrippLite ummm... I dunno. Its an older 1U system and with my old router, my switch, r7000 and the modem would give me about 12 minutes of runtime. The batteries are old and I need to replace them.

As far as the HPs, they're not operational much and I already have tons of compaq/hp spares. I have another 11 147GB SCSI drives I may be parting with soon as well.

Last edited:
Yet another update...

The "cabinet" broke a few weeks ago and wasn't easily repairable. Thanks for the 12 years of service, but its time to move on. So, I bought a full cabinet off ebay from a local person for stupid cheap ($150). It barely fit in a kia soul (sideways) and I've finally managed to slowly work my way through my first cabinet. Here is a preliminary shot of everything.

It still requires a bit of work, and I still have some odds and ends coming and there's going to be a few custom items installed for it. I'm goingto verify the floor loading capacity and if its ok to load my remaining devices, this cabinet will end up juuuuust over half full. Until then, this is how it will stay with the devices. I still need to address the cable management internally to accommodate sliding rails. I'm still on the fence for whether or not to use a patch panel as I only have 3 external 'drops' (run across the floor behind my desk). There are also still a fair bit of connections to make. I may need to use a 2U cable management below the 48 port switch if they don't all fit.

networkcab.jpg

Back