My Skyrim experience PC vs 360

thorban

Supreme [H]ardness
So I took my sweet time deciding which platform to buy Skyrim for, finally ending up getting it on the PC because I enjoyed oblivion on the PC so much.

I have an AMD 6 core phenom, radeon 5770, 8gb ram, etc... I thought I'd be good and set to play at a high quality. As soon as I loaded it up it auto selected ultra setttings at 1080p res, which I was glad to see. As soon as I actually got in the game I was extremely disappointed with the slideshow. After turning the settings down to medium (with a few bump ups on draw distance) I had a playable framerate, sort of.

So then of course came the UI issues. I've read a number of threads saying that you get used to it and whatnot, but I didn't after 4 hours or so. Mouse lag, unintuitive commands, etc... This game was obviously made with 1 platform in mind.

Earlier today I went to target and got it for the 360. :( On the bright side, it looks and controls wonderfully on the xbox. $110 is a lot for a video game though. Basically, don't make the same mistake I did. Skyrim is dogshit on the PC w/ an ATI video card. Either wait or buy it on another platform.

I am playing it on PC and it's fine with my rig. It also auto detected Ultra and haven't experienced any slowdown at all. It is taking awhile to get used to the controls but it's not that bad. I had a terrible time with Oblivion on 360 and plus the mods make the game that much better in the future.

Runs excellent at near max settings on mine.

It's a great game on the PC with the slight exception of that annoying bug that makes the game freeze.

Skyrim runs absolutely beautifully on my 6950 (crossfire disabled until eyefinity gets fixed and a CAP is released). I'm running @ 1920x1080 at Ultra settings with 2x MSAA and FXAA enabled - all other advanced options maxed. Sitting at a constant 60fps. The load times are absolutely horrid on the xbox. I disabled mouse smoothing in the ini file and the UI is fine - once you get used to it it's really not bad at all. The only other UI related tweak that I did was fix the left/mouse right buttons being swapped in options. Love this game. So far I'm ~10-hours in and it's been the most enjoyable open world rpg that I've ever played. Part of playing on the PC is learning how to tweak your settings for an optimal experience.

I should also point out that I'm alternating between playing this on my desktop with a keyboard/mouse and playing in the living room with a controller. I've spent equal time on both (maybe more with the controller), and can say that the UI works better with the keyboard and mouse than with the controller.

I've got a 6950 2GB card playing on Ultra and I have no complaints. Granted, I don't even know what mouse lag is or why it should bother me (I can play just fine). I don't have any problems with the UI either. I'm sure it's mostly just personal preference stuff.

I'm running it on an HD4650 and I have 0 complaints. Medium settings with 2xAA at 1280*1024 mind you but it gets the job done.

Runs perfectly fine on my 5850 (most of the time over 40fps) on high.

When you lowered your settings to medium, did you turn off AA as well?

The mouse lag is annoying though. I've tried turning off Vsync and mouse acceleration, and I don't notice much of an improvement. Definitely no where as smooth as the mouse is on the desktop, or in most pc games I've played recently either.

because you couldn't max the game at 1080 on a last gen mid range video card Skyrim must run like "dogshit" on all ATI cards?

Your CPU is slowing you down severely. Skyrim only uses 2 cores. so 6 slow cores is like 2 slow cores. Either OC or grab a faster quad.

Found a gem of a thread over at bethesda's forums. http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php?/topic/1262349-lowest-settings-possible/

The dude obviously isn't very [H].

That guy is awesome in his softness, this cracked me up :D:

Shasow

Diviner

Group:Members
Location:I have a little house in which I live all alone. It has no doors or windows, and if I want to go out I must break through the wall.

Posted Today, 06:01 PM

Gorath the Elder, on 12 November 2011 - 06:00 PM, said:

1. You are in the wrong forum
2. You do not have any real graphics card at all
3. This game REQUIRES that you have such a graphics card.​

Alright, you know what? I'm done. I'm uninstalling the game and leaving these forums.

I'm running it on my 5870 just fine.

Your 5770 is holding you back as far as using the highest settings go, but what do you expect, it's a 5770.

Maybe if you actually visited hardocp.com instead of reading the goddamn forums all the time, you'd be clued in on what playable settings consist of with good video cards that they use in their evaluations.

PEBKAC is my verdict for you.

Found a gem of a thread over at bethesda's forums. http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php?/topic/1262349-lowest-settings-possible/

The dude obviously isn't very [H].

neither are the people failing at helping him they are partially right though laptops suck to game on... i dont really hold much hope for my laptop even being able to play it. but i will say this the laptop in the guys post you linked does meet the minimum requirements but he probably needed to update several drivers...

Anyone want to know if it even runs on a e350 based laptop?

Just finished loading it up it runs really well i thought it was not going to run anywhere near as good as it does on medium settings...

Last edited:
Rig in sig runs it at ultra, tree self shadows on, 4xAA, 16xAF, and it is locked in on 60 95% of the time. Occasionally dips into the low 50s if I am looking at certain things.

Game appears to be very CPU bound.

Rig in sig runs it at ultra, tree self shadows on, 4xAA, 16xAF, and it is locked in on 60 95% of the time. Occasionally dips into the low 50s if I am looking at certain things.

Game appears to be very CPU bound.
i donno my e350 plays it pretty smooth on medium settings...

my 2500k and 5850 are running it amazingly to my surprise. playing at 1080p the game defaulted to high and 8xAA. running at a pretty solid 60fps. at all times. i was overly satisfied with the results so i havent messed with any of the settings yet. but im sure i can squeeze a out a bit more PQ while still keeping the 60fps.

The only issues I've had with that fix:

- books aren't readable
- when I take a screenshot with Steam with the dll for CF and Hayden's eyefinity fix running it quits the game to desktop

Other than that it's been perfectly stable and the performance is great. I honestly couldn't be happier right now.

Your 5770 is holding you back as far as using the highest settings go, but what do you expect, it's a 5770.
PEBKAC is my verdict for you.

FOVegas with 7 gig text pack and lighting mod was 1080p maxed on my 4850, but Vanilla Skyrim won't run on a 5770...?.....5570 is about 4870 speed.

I'm not sure why you would expect playable framerates at 1920 x 1080 on high(or medium) settings with a 5770. It's a 2 year old card, and the is the upper end of the lower tier graphics cards in the 5 series for gaming.

You gotta wait at least half a year for modders to make the game playable anyway guys. At least wait for oscuros overhaul.

Unplayable atm.

Do not listen to the OP. The fact that he bought a 6 core processor tells you what he knows. Having virtually no load times on a PC make it reason enough to buy it over the lethargic x360 or PS3 versions. Oh and there are going to be hundreds of mods that are PC only. The game looks fantastic already, can't imagine how good it will look with high res textures.

Surprisingly my rig is running it just fine at ultra settings with fps between 29-60 (I lock it at 60). Rig includes:

1055t at 4ghz (2 cores disabled making a 4-core)
5850 (760mhz 1050mhz)
8gb of memory

Ultra settings are:

AF 16x
AA 2x w/edge detect or FXAA (can't decide which looks better yet as FXAA makes things look a bit blurry)
Draw distance of everything maxed
All shadows in the .ini file turned on
AMD MLAA and transparency aliasing enabled in the .ini file

I could turn things down to high at get closer to 60fps all day but why? Skyrim is an rpg and you do most of your fighting inside anyway where the fps never dips below 50. Looks great to me aside from the lack of shadows in the game, but I am awaiting a high-res texture pack and then will upgrade the card accordingly.

lol Unplayable? Really?

Yes.

Beth cannot make a proper rpg like daggerfall and morro anymore.

Just compare Oblivion vanilla and proper fixed version with OOO, removed level scaling and general fixes from the community. Two different games.

i am running it on a laptop with only a i5 460M and Nvidia 310M graphics and using an Afterglow USB Xbox360 controller. It detected Medium and I set to low to get smoother gameplay. It's still kinda choppy and hard to stop your pointer on small objects, like picking up gold or daggers is a PITA, but it's playable.

FOVegas with 7 gig text pack and lighting mod was 1080p maxed on my 4850, but Vanilla Skyrim won't run on a 5770...?.....5570 is about 4870 speed.
It's a completely updated graphics engine that has DX11 and was written by bethesda. WTF did you expect? Wait for some patches and mods to speed some things up, even then your video card won't survive an upgraded texture pack for this game.

It's a completely updated graphics engine that has DX11 and was written by bethesda. WTF did you expect? Wait for some patches and mods to speed some things up, even then your video card won't survive an upgraded texture pack for this game.

It doesnt support dx11. The game runs in dx9 bro.

But Bethesda official said they are planning to add dx11 later on.

When I got to know this I stopped playing. Waiting for dx11 patch.

some people make out this game cant be played on the PC, the fact is it is great on the PC, and will probably get better with updates.

works fine on my nvidia card, the menu thing isnt as much a big deal as people make out. you CAN hot key stuff, the mouse is useable and the navigation doesnt take long to get used to, certainly not the game killer people make out. maybe an irritant to those that are sensitive to pressing a few buttons.

yeah it needs a pretty decent machine to look its very best, to be honest its worth getting one just to play this game. I wouldnt want to play it on the xbox, i dont know what it looks like but fallout 3 and oblivion looked terrible compared to teh PC IMO, barely any draw distance.

Yes.

Beth cannot make a proper rpg like daggerfall and morro anymore.

Just compare Oblivion vanilla and proper fixed version with OOO, removed level scaling and general fixes from the community. Two different games.

Wrong. Did you even play this game? Skyrim is far better than both oblivion and morrowind(yes and morrowind is the shit, but unpatched? big headache) out of the box. There's arguably no need for OOO here, as Bethesda did a good job with the leveling system.

6970 and i7 920 here, I get 50-60 FPS at 2560x1600 ultra settings w/ FXAA. So yeah, not playable at all on an AMD card </sarcasm>.

Control issues? Use a 360 pad. That's the nice thing about PC, you aren't limited to KB/M

Skyrim on my PC has been about as good a PC game experience as I've had in a long time. No complaints here. Of course, my PC is beast that wants your cocktail...fruit!

Back