My Seagate 7200.11 drive failed in 2 days

tsonka

Limp Gawd
Well got my ST3500320AS 500gig 7200.11 HDD installed. Used it for 2 days, well almost 2 days, came home on the second day to a Vista window stating hard drive failure. Downloaded and ran both the SeaTools short and long self tests, drive failed both.

Called Seagate and the guy was like "Yep you have a bad drive, call Newegg to RMA it", he didnt sound suprised aty all.

It happens, Seagate, WD, Maxtor, Samsung, Hitachi/IBM, Fujitsu, etc ALL FAIL.

Even when you pay a ton of money on enterprise class drives, be it a Cheetah or Raptor.

Just be happy it crapped out before you got tons of data on it. :)

whats really suprising is that you were suprised :p

Hardware fails, it's life.

the worst kind are slow failures when you aren't sure if it's a partition issue or bad cable and all your data is on the drive, 2 days after install is the kind of failure you want to have if you were given a choice unfortunately :(

Well, let's not forget. NewEgg's OEM Hard Drive shipping method isn't the best in the world :(

It happens, Seagate, WD, Maxtor, Samsung, Hitachi/IBM, Fujitsu, etc ALL FAIL.

Even when you pay a ton of money on enterprise class drives, be it a Cheetah or Raptor.

Just be happy it crapped out before you got tons of data on it. :)

One reason in my firm belief of redundancy. Every day I have a program scheduled to back up my drives onto an external.

Seagate is known for their extremely good customer support, so don't fret if something happens with Newegg.

I'm really tired of people saying this or that drive sucks, the company has a reputation for failing drives, etc. I'm well aware that EVERY company has bad lines, but overall, all will have lemons(and i seem to get a lot) so I base my decisions on customer support. I'll always be a Seagate guy. I've had small dealings with WD as well which wasn't to shabby either.

Sorry your drive died on you, but better sooner than later as stated earlier. :)

Yea. I made this post right after the drive failed.

To be honest Ill give both newegg and Segate 2 thumbs up.

With seagate i was able to talk to a living person quickly. Newegg has thier automated RMA system, I called and asked them to cross-ship one to me, they said they dont do that but they did upgrade the return shipping to overnight

Back