My Sandy Bridge Computer Is Officially 1 Years Old. Should I Upgrade Anything On It?

SkyeHack

Limp Gawd
I am planning on buying Microsoft Windows 8 Pro x64 and I was wondering your input if I should upgrade any of the hardware in my rig? I use it mostly for playing L4D2 and BF3 and some Photoshop here and there. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks! :D

Primary Monitor - Apple LED Cinema Display (27-inch)
Secondary Monitor - Samsung LED (40-inch)
CPU - Intel Core i5-2500K
CPU Cooler - Thermalrite Silver Arrow
MotherBoard - ASUS P8Z68-V PRO
Memory - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 16GB F3-12800CL9Q-16GBRL
Graphics Card - EVGA SuperClocked GeForce GTX 580 with Backplate
Power Supply - Corsair Professional Series Gold AX850
SSD (Primary) - OCZ Vertex 3 VTX3-25SAT3-120G
HDD (Secondary) - Seagate Barracuda XT 2TB
Case - Corsair Obsidian Series 650D

7033496905_5bcfa7ce7b_b.jpg

Leave it as-is. Get better speakers. (receiver + bookshelf/wall mounted speakers)

Really not much cost-effective upgrades for you left. Save your money for more guns.

Your 1-year old setup looks strangely similar to what I was looking to buy in current time, lol :X

I am planning on buying Microsoft Windows 8 Pro x64 and I was wondering your input if I should upgrade any of the hardware in my rig? I use it mostly for playing L4D2 and BF3 and some Photoshop here and there. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks! :D

Primary Monitor - Apple LED Cinema Display (27-inch)
Secondary Monitor - Samsung LED (40-inch)
CPU - Intel Core i5-2500K
CPU Cooler - Thermalrite Silver Arrow
MotherBoard - ASUS P8Z68-V PRO
Memory - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 16GB F3-12800CL9Q-16GBRL
Graphics Card - EVGA SuperClocked GeForce GTX 580 with Backplate
Power Supply - Corsair Professional Series Gold AX850
SSD (Primary) - OCZ Vertex 3 VTX3-25SAT3-120G
HDD (Secondary) - Seagate Barracuda XT 2TB
Case - Corsair Obsidian Series 650D

7033496905_5bcfa7ce7b_b.jpg

There are no cost-effective upgrades available to that particular build because it is already near top performance even today. However, you may want to switch out the SSD with one from Crucial or Samsung since OCZ has never been renowned for customer service quality. (Put it this way, if something goes wrong with your SSD, OCZ is more likely than most to give you the run-around (being bounced from one technician to another, all or most of whom are more apt to offer the same solution that doesn't work for you) or refuse or fail to offer the correct solution(s).)

Thanks for all your input and help guys!

Should I at least upgrade my GTX 580 2 GIG to a GTX 680 4 GIG since my native resolution on my Apple Screen is 2560x1440 and I'm running an extended desktop with my other Samsung screen?

Thanks for all your input and help guys!

Should I at least upgrade my GTX 580 2 GIG to a GTX 680 4 GIG since my native resolution on my Apple Screen is 2560x1440 and I'm running an extended desktop with my other Samsung screen?

If the GTX 580's performance isn't meeting your performance needs, then yes do it.

If the GTX 580's performance isn't meeting your performance needs, then yes do it.

I just want as close to 60 FPS in BF3 at my native resolution of 2560x1440 with no AA since you don't really need it at the rez.

Last edited:
How much do you think I could get if I sold my EVGA SuperClocked GeForce GTX 580 with Backplate on here? I want to justify the upgrade expense. :/

That question sounds like a price check. Price checks are not allowed in any of the main [H] forums.

That question sounds like a price check. Price checks are not allowed in any of the main [H] forums.

Sorry.

I just took a leap and ordered an EVGA GeForce GTX 670 SuperClocked 4096MB for $459.99 on Amazon. Let's see how my computer likes the extra 2560MB of video RAM.

:D

Back