My review of ATI Radeon 9800 Pro AIW

Jaden

Weaksauce
At the turn of the year, I figured it was about time to upgrade from my Intel P4 2.6C to an AMD 64. I bought the Gigabyte K8NNXP Motherboard, AMD 64 3000+ (I know I know, shoulda got the 3200 but whatcha gonna do ;( ), and 512MB PC3700 OCZ 2.5-4-4-7 RAM. I decided to still use my Gainward Geforce4 Ti4800 SE. After installing everything, I benchmarked my system, and to my surprise, received only a 400 point increase on 3DMark2001. I knew my card was bottlenecking my system, but I didn't think it'd be THAT bad.

At any rate, I invested $340 into an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro AIW. This was my first encounter with ATI, and I gaurentee it won't be the last after my experience.

After simply installing the card and loading 3.1 drivers off the cd-rom, I got a 5800 point increase. I was so thrilled to be obtaining these results, I went and bought a Thermaltake VGA cooler, slapped that bitch on there and overclocked to 420/380 right now (after getting ram sinks I figure I'll oc some more as well). Now I'm up to 19600. I still need to update to Catalyst 4.1's.

The TV tuner on the card is phenominal as well. With features such as "Thruview," it makes the experience even more enjoyable than I previously thought. Hell, now I can watch Comedy Central and program at the same time!

My Zalman 7000a comes in today, so I'll be oc'ing my 3000+ probably 200mhz, depending on how hot the cpu runs.

I highly reccomend this card, but do not buy it refurbished. It is extremely important that you get the accessories.

Lastly, can anyone link me to a program that will tell me the temperature of my card? I would love to know how hot it gets.

Thanks!
-Alex "Jaden" Moore

I haven't had enough time to play around with most of the recording programs, however I did record about 30 seconds of some stupid movie on CC, and it recorded the same quality as it produces on the screen (not good, but not bad). Same audio as well.

Back