my refurbed 2490wuxi is set up

just bought the 5 year warranty - by then I will (hopefully) have graduated and be capable of buying bigger and better equipment :D

Mine's coming on Thursday, can't wait. I didn't get the warranty from Tech4Less, but I'm going to check into whether NEC offers any kind of extended warranty. I'd gladly buy it from them.

Then again, my 2007WFP only had a 90-day, and that's still going strong, so...

EDIT: I think he was referring to e-IPS as H-IPS has been out for while.

monitor.jpg

monitor2.jpg

monitor3.jpg

monitor4.jpg

monitor5.jpg

monitor6.jpg

monitor7.jpg

monitor8.jpg

monitor9.jpg

Sorry for the bad pictures - I'm a web developer not a photographer :p

Also, the bezel isn't warped like it appears in some photos ;/

thanks for the picture... this thing looks awesome. Cant wait to get mine on thursday....

Hi guys,

I just received my refurb LCD2490WUXi from techforless. Box is definitely huge!

It came with power cable, VGA cable, and the LCD in a plastic bag. No manuals, DVI cable, or a plastic screen protector. Was this the same for the others who bought from techforless?

Powered the bad boy up and its blindingly bright. I quickly set the brightness to 0 and I still find it a bit bright.

I would like to pick up Spectraview and a Eye One Display LT but unfortunately NEC does not ship SV to Canada! Any suggestions on how to calibrate without SV?

??? The 2490 is H-IPS

I mean hopefully IPS monitors will have the same or better quality than the 2490 AND have little to no input lag as well as <5ms response time. Seems like all the IPS monitors have their faults. Most of them don't have a A-TW Polarizer.

The polarizer seems to be more of a "luxury item" than anything. If it was cheap to put in I'd wager more panels would actually have it. Going forward though, it seems the trend may be to even greater gamuts, so for an sRGB IPS panel, this is about as good as it gets for the foreseeable future. I do hope whatever fixes in Windows7 actually do work properly, and not just another half-working gimick, but I don't have a wide gamut screen to test extensively with, or at all for that matter. I wish more people would test it and compare it side by side with an actual sRGB monitor like this one. If it actually works, then the 2490's days may be numbered.

the 2490 is best in class for sRGB, would the 26" variant be the best comparable monitor with wide gamut?

rofl, I tried playing Quake3 on my NEC 20wmgx2, gave up after about 15 minutes. Just doesn't work. Quake3 is much more fast paced than most other shooters like Day of Defeat or CS. A plasma is about the slowest thing you'd wanna use for that.

yea you know the .001 ms pixel response of plasma makes it much worse then lcds at 2-6ms =p

is there any software/web apps that help spot dead pixels? I don't see anything but there might be some

I'm looking for a 2490 box and packaging, if anyone (preferably in Canada) doesn't want theirs.

is there a way to turn off the blue light on the front? very annoying

You can make the light green and decrease its intensity in the advanced menu. I don't think you can turn it off.

So I recieved my my monitor today, and I spotted TWO dead pixels(one red, one blue).. I'm rather disappointed at the moment. Besides that, everything else looks great. I'm attempting to revive them as we speak.

You can revive dead pixels?

Thought you can attempt to fix stuck ones, never heard of casting a spell on dead ones though. Let us know how it goes!!

the manual is available on nec website to access the advanced osd - you can set led brightness to zero in menu 7.

So I recieved my my monitor today, and I spotted TWO dead pixels(one red, one blue).. I'm rather disappointed at the moment. Besides that, everything else looks great. I'm attempting to revive them as we speak.

Contact NEC asap and they should be able to fix that.

Just curious to those who recieve their 2490 refurb, notice any dead pixels ? I didn't see any until I ran the UDpixel software and inspected my monitor carefully.

[H]adouken;1033693344 said:
You can revive dead pixels?

Thought you can attempt to fix stuck ones, never heard of casting a spell on dead ones though. Let us know how it goes!!

Actually I think they are stuck pixels, they're not white or black. They're red and light blue.

just received my nec 2490 from techforless... Excellent screen.. No dead pixel, scratches, or anything, the monitor looks brand new to me.. The sticker on the back said 2008 02.... One thing i am wondering. The back of the screen that attach to the stand, it feel a little loose anyone came up with that problem? Overall excellent monitor

Mine is also quite loose and pivets quite a bit when I push the buttons down.

So what did you guys receive? Did any of you receive a DVI cable or manual? Does your screen have any evidence of cleaning residue?

I also have no dead pixels from using online pixel check images. Can't get UDpixel to work...

As far as I can tell by using a blank black screen saver, there are no noticable backlight bleed. So far so good!

My stand/panel connection is loose too but not to a point where I would worry about it. Our units are identical down to the sticker date :)

no dvi cable included
no screen residue
no backlight bleed

I received my refurb 2490 yesterday. Right when I turned it on I noticed very bright dot in the middle of the screen about the size of 2 to 3 pixels. There is also a stuck red pixel on the lower part of the screen. As for the exterior, there are a few scratches on the base. I've already submitted an e-mail to techforless requesting an RMA#.

I have the worst luck. This is the fourth monitor I will be returning due to dead pixels. The first monitor I bought was an HP L2475w from Provantage. The next two monitors were brand new 2490s from Amazon. I'm wondering if I should keep trying or just give up.

keep trying with the 2490 refurbs if they are available...there is definitely good stock in there somewhere

I have few scratches on the base too.. One problem I am having right now is that sometimes the monitor cannot detect the signal from the computer. Have to keep turning it on and off... Until it find a signal...

Received mine this afternoon. Took a while to arrange my desk and what not, but the panel is absolutely beautiful.

I didn't notice any backlight bleed at all when I first turned it on (this was with ColorComp off) and haven't seen any pixel or residue problems. As far as I've looked for (read: nothing obvious) the whole unit looks brand new.

In the box: power cable, VGA, VGA to DVI-I, and a whole lot of foam. :D

I tweaked the color settings only a little bit and have ColorComp on 1, mostly because it balanced out the colors a bit more than they already were.

I believe it was 10e that summed it up pretty well as describing this monitor in particular as "bad because it makes you realize how crappy most other LCD's are". I'm comparing it to a 2007WFP IPS, and I didn't think it could got much better than that up till now.

It did. :p

Anyway, I'll post pics if you guys want, but I think almost everyone that ordered one has taken delivery by now.

interesting that you received more than one cable there. As i only receive the vga to vga cable that's all... Did you get dvi to dvi cable as well? And on the back, what is the date on the sticker?

Back