My realization of how much a drug WoW actually is.

WOW... Comparing an addiction to racism I see..

People who are getting hate speech to do not deserve to be called the name.

If you do something that does deserve to be called a name, then you deserve to wear it.

If you sleep around alot, you deserve to be called a whore.

If your play this game more then 5 hours a day, you are an addict.

Further denials only make you look like an idiot.

Because being nice to someone gets you nowhere in life :rolleyes: , do you have any friends, seriously you seem like the type of person that would nit pick about everything if it wasn't perfect?

If someone is doing something they want to stop, and is having a difficult time stopping, that can be called an addiction, it doesn't have to be chemical.

Yep, but all forms of addiction are chemically based through the release of dopamine.

Because being nice to someone gets you nowhere in life :rolleyes: , do you have any friends, seriously you seem like the type of person that would nit pick about everything if it wasn't perfect?

What the hell are you babeling about?

EDIT: Oh I get it. Oh look, crack addicts asking normal people if they have friends. How Ironic.

Well if you must know, there is honestly no real way I could PROVE I have friends. I could take pics of them, you'd say I stole them off a site or took pics of random people.

Either way though, people who get out and don't play a game 5-10 hours a day have considerably more chances of making friends than people who do.

Never said you couldn't get a friend, just said that a persn who doesn't play games all the time has more chances.

The theoritical chances of you meeting more people when you go to big cities to walk to work, or even in small towns of 10,000, is alot bigger then playing on a game all the time with your clan members.

Of course, if you come to socialize, instead of just going to work, I guess I could see how you could make more friends.

Although I don't know if I'd want to meet those people in real life.

It all depends on what you do. Although, when you're talking millions of people in a city, there's much bigger chance to meet somebody.

Of course, that also brings to mind this: In a big city, they must want to socialize with you. In a game, they want too.

I definately see the benifits of online gaming, but only in moderation, so it doesn't kill your real social life. Otherwise you become like a crack addict, instead of crack your playing alone for the next big item and to socialize.

I know somebody who gave up his GF to play WOW. Said it was more important. :D Just thinking about it now made me lol.

Maybe I'll sound like an ass, but i don't see how WoW or other MMO's can get addictive. They are boring as hell, the funnest thing to do is make your character and I am not exaggerating. Maybe that's just me.

Maybe I'll sound like an ass, but i don't see how WoW or other MMO's can get addictive. They are boring as hell, the funnest thing to do is make your character and I am not exaggerating. Maybe that's just me.

All depends on what you like to do in a game.

The fun of making your character extends to end game in WoW. Each new piece of gear, each new level, each new ability, is further refining and building your character into a perfect tank/damage dealer/healer etc...

The main problem with WoW is that behaviors like this have always existed in our race.

Remember 'grandmas old cough medicine'? It was booze. Before they had lots of medicine, they decided if you can't beat an illness, pretend it isn't there and drink up.

The same thoughts go into drugs and online games. Some people try it to have fun, and no one should worry about them.

While others, do it to escape real life. The problem is, they figure out drugs/video games are BETTER than real life and get stuck, losing family, friends, loved ones...

It's really a shame.

The main problem with WoW is that behaviors like this have always existed in our race.

Remember 'grandmas old cough medicine'? It was booze. Before they had lots of medicine, they decided if you can't beat an illness, pretend it isn't there and drink up.

The same thoughts go into drugs and online games. Some people try it to have fun, and no one should worry about them.

While others, do it to escape real life. The problem is, they figure out drugs/video games are BETTER than real life and get stuck, losing family, friends, loved ones...

It's really a shame.

This is very true, hence why many that play WoW say "moderation is key."

What the hell are you babeling about?

EDIT: Oh I get it. Oh look, crack addicts asking normal people if they have friends. How Ironic.

Well if you must know, there is honestly no real way I could PROVE I have friends. I could take pics of them, you'd say I stole them off a site or took pics of random people.

Either way though, people who get out and don't play a game 5-10 hours a day have considerably more chances of making friends than people who do.

Thanks for proving my point even more, you seriously need to learn to be nice people, instead of calling people crack heads and whores, why dont you help them find a way to not be a whore or crack head with out having to bash them.

WoW is a carebear grindfest with few innovative gameplay elements.
Then again, the same can be said for every other MMO since Asheron's Call.

How can you possibly play a non-pvp MMO? Don't the other people annoy the crap out of you?

We just fired a guy at work because he had stopped coming in (hadn't showed up in three weeks). We asked his house mates what the reason was (if he found another job or something) and we were told he hasn't left the house in a month, he's just been eating take out and playing WoW. It's quite sad.

We just fired a guy at work because he had stopped coming in (hadn't showed up in three weeks). We asked his house mates what the reason was (if he found another job or something) and we were told he hasn't left the house in a month, he's just been eating take out and playing WoW. It's quite sad.

:D :D :D

Reading this thread makes me really glad to have quit months ago. Shortly after I quit I was so surprised at how much free time I had, I literally needed to think of things to do. Before all I would do was play WoW whenever I wasn't in school, work or doing something else that I absolutely HAD to do. Now I enjoy spending more time with my family and friends and the time I spend with them doesn't include me constantly having WoW in the back of my mind.

WoW is a horrible and evil thing.

Reading this thread makes me really glad to have quit months ago. Shortly after I quit I was so surprised at how much free time I had, I literally needed to think of things to do. Before all I would do was play WoW whenever I wasn't in school, work or doing something else that I absolutely HAD to do. Now I enjoy spending more time with my family and friends and the time I spend with them doesn't include me constantly having WoW in the back of my mind.

WoW is a horrible and evil thing.

WoW is useful if you have nothing better to do. My family lives 800 miles away, my fiance lives with me, and she typically works at nights to make extra money to pay her loans. As I said before, I would never play WoW if I didn't move to Mississippi. I actually had a lot of things to do, friends to hang out with, and family to visit back in Chicago.

It is pathetic if someone gets addicted to WoW, but there is no reason to generalize and say that all people who play WoW are fat pathetic losers with no life. That's quite possibly the most ignorant thing I have ever heard.

WoW is useful if you have nothing better to do....

That is only an excuse. You're telling us that you have nothing better to do, like doing something more intellectual to enlighten yourself rather than play an online game?

It is pathetic if someone gets addicted to WoW, but there is no reason to generalize and say that all people who play WoW are fat pathetic losers with no life. That's quite possibly the most ignorant thing I have ever heard.

I agree however, making a generalization that all WoW players are fat, is an ignorant statement.

That is only an excuse. You're telling us that you have nothing better to do, like doing something more intellectual to enlighten yourself rather than play an online game?

We already went through why he has nothing to do, go back a couple pages and see what he's done and why he plays WoW now... the thread is already long enough, no need to rehash the same stuff over

Yeah been there done that, I'm glad to say I've been WoW free for about 4ish months+.
I used to raid 5 nights a week, MC thru Naxx. I played 13ish hours at a time, but randomly I kind of realized that it was an addiction like you did, and uninstalled it and sold my accounts.

Well, being an online student and working on my degree.....spending the next 10 years of my life going to my doctoral program is going to keep me in front of a computer so why not make it fun on one of my monitors?

Constant positive reinforcement is worse than pointing out problems that people have. It's a fact. I don't care how old you are.

Well, being an online student and working on my degree.....spending the next 10 years of my life going to my doctoral program is going to keep me in front of a computer so why not make it fun on one of my monitors?

Granted this could be a "good" distractor ever ONCE in A WHILE... but remember that moderation is key here. Learn from the mistakes of others and keep your playing while doing your homework/studying to a minimum. Be very careful that the game does not take presedence over your school work. My suggestion would be to get into something like an FPS that you can do quick 15-30 min runs for a break from your school work, WoW will just envelope to much of your time.

It will never become 20. I work at the school I go to and my in class performance affects my job so I have to do well and I am a huge procrastinator anyway and ADHD so I have to multi-task to get any work done..........like now I am on the phone with one of my students and in the forums and typing in her file and submitting templates and listening to Earth Wind and Fire.

Granted this could be a "good" distractor ever ONCE in A WHILE... but remember that moderation is key here. Learn from the mistakes of others and keep your playing while doing your homework/studying to a minimum. Be very careful that the game does not take presedence over your school work. My suggestion would be to get into something like an FPS that you can do quick 15-30 min runs for a break from your school work, WoW will just envelope to much of your time.

Well I dont play WoW but something a little more addictive and I hate playing FPS until I can get on teamspeak with my clan whenever Creative puts out good drivers for Vista. But I go afk in game a ton if I get too distracted.....still dont know about that moderation thing though. My in game boy toy flunked a class from spending the night with me in game all the time though........he is so sprung on me. I do see what you mean when it comes to school. My in game hubby just completed his degree but he had a good balance while my boy toy is 5 hours ahead of me and ends up in game at 6 am with an 8 am class. I so feel bad for him sometimes.

Oh WoW. I'd dabbled in MMOs before. Played EverQuest for a month or so. Ragnarok Online a little bit. Ultima Online for a free month, because Ultima 9 sucked so hard I got it free when they shipped out the patched install CD. I even dicked around in FFXI for depressingly long but the punishing nature of it drove me away.

But man, WoW hit me like a ton of bricks. Thankfully I was still in college then and could get away with spending too much time on it. Although I definitely skipped too many classes just so I could stay around in my apartment and play WoW. The people I played with became more important to me than my friends. I definitely hit rock bottom. I hate to admit this, but I even had a relationship with this girl I knew in WoW, even flew out to see her a few times. Sad, sad, sad. Feel like I should scrub myself down with steel wool whenever I think about it. When she started ignoring me and "dating" some other WoW guy, it finally hit me just how damned pathetic I was.

Cancelled WoW. Started working out. Focused more on school and work. Fixed things up with my real friends. These days I'm in kick ass shape, took up martial arts a little bit, eat a lot healthier, have a great job, and still look back on that time I played WoW with nothing but disgust. I guess I started playing WoW when it first came out, and stuck with it about a year. So I guess it was about 2 years ago I quit. Good riddance.

Well, the relationship thing I dont think is that bad. My ex and I met online and playing FPS together was like our time when we finally put the relationship thing as a priority over our friendship. It would be cool to be the only couple at LAN parties and all the other men asking him for the potion he sprinkled on me. I think it is a matter of finding things you have in common with someone and if gaming is that niche then so be it. Me and him have been in the same clan for years now and we are still the best of friends even though Uncle Sam took him away from my immediate vicinity. The missing class thing.....yeah....thats sad.

Cancelled WoW. Started working out. Focused more on school and work. Fixed things up with my real friends. These days I'm in kick ass shape, took up martial arts a little bit, eat a lot healthier, have a great job, and still look back on that time I played WoW with nothing but disgust. I guess I started playing WoW when it first came out, and stuck with it about a year. So I guess it was about 2 years ago I quit. Good riddance.

This is an example of the self-revelation that WoW players (who abuse it) need to experience. The madness comes from people who don't want to quit or don't think it's a problem. There are plenty of players who don't abuse it, and can play a couple hours a day, maybe longer, and still juggle a decent life, job, family, school, etc.

I don't try to sway people from WoW because I didn't like it. I didn't even last the two-week trial. I've seen it ruin lives, much like alcohol. It isn't just WoW, either.

One of my clan members cancelled his account a few weeks ago and it was like a party in our forums. He was the only one that would come to a LAN and play WoW the entire time while we played BF2 and COD and such. Now he actually has words to say.

I think part of the thing that keeps me from doing the whole hardcore raiding thing is the fact that I am west coast based and play on an east coast server. I work from 7:30am to ~4:30pm (or whenever I can leave the office there abouts) and live more than a half hour away. Most raiding guilds start between 6-7pm server time which puts me a couple hours behind the raid, depending on when I get home. Then when I get home I play with my two dogs some, talk with the fiance' if she is home already and start on dinner. By the time we are done making and eating dinner it is about 7pm at which time I get on the computer to start my homework and postings for the night, so if I do get a chance to play it is not until late at night my time which everyone is done raiding by then. I think this has been my saving grace and the only reason why I have never truly gotten into WoW hardcore.

Its quite humbling to read posts here where people actually care for others *cries* T-T oh and who's the woman who won't stop talking about herself LoL0lOlolol

Define the word friend and I will show you how BS that statement is.

Very true.. After having moved away from a place where I had a ton of close friends and having not been able to make the same types of connections (geek friends) in my new spot, I stay connected to them via online gaming and have made lots of new friends as a result also. Now almost every night I get to hang out with a bunch of kick ass geek friends again. Sa-weet.

edit: regarding the thread in general and the whole addiction thing.. I have an addictive personality, I also love to play games, geek out, have fun, and all of that.. I'll stay up way too late sometimes doing that stuff, but I always get my life shit done also... it's not worth compromising your life to do these things.. it's like shooting yourself in the foot.. but I guess some peeps have to bottom out once, or twice.. or more to get it.. anyways.. it's about being smart and not compromising your well being.. after all, the only way to keep the party going is to keep your life going also. ok, I think I am done here..

Friends are definitely relative. Right around the corner or 30000 miles away, if they care about your well being, they are still your friend.

Friends are definitely relative. Right around the corner or 30000 miles away, if they care about your well being, they are still your friend.

The difference is, if you get dumped/break off a relationship/get fired/are other devastated, can you get wasted with your online friends and blow off the steam? Real life, physical hijinks cannot be substituted for slaying dragons or whatever your MMO drug of choice is. Worse yet, you lose your job, fall on hard times, maybe lose your place to stay, get booted out of your house by the wife, whatever, can you stay with your online friends? Can they offer you any sanctuary to help you get back on your feet?

All else being equal, give me a great friend in the same town over one a downright obscene distance away.

Not to mention my thoughts about how well can you really know someone if you've only ever spoken to them?

actually you can. i bunked on one of my online friends couch when i moved to NYC. i have a ton of online friends like a few hours away so actually yeah you can. so again, it is relative.

Back