My RAID box has failed. What do I do?

Max-Powers

Gawd
I have a RAID 5 system using the Rosewill RSV-S5 Inside are 5 seagate 1.5 TB hard drives.
This worked great for a while. Now the hard drives won't turn on. The box turns on, but the power lights to the hard drives do not turn on. I cannot access my data. I don't know if it is a driver problem or a hardware problem. It worked fine for a while, so I am assuming it is hardware. Actually it has done this before, but started working again within a day.
I am trying to talk to rosewill tech support, but will have to wait to hear back. My question is, can I switch this RAID 5 to another box? Such as a NAS or something else besides this Rosewill box? Is there any way I can keep the integrity of the RAID 5, or does it have to be with the specific device?

Now the hard drives won't turn on. The box turns on, but the power lights to the hard drives do not turn on. I cannot access my data. I don't know if it is a driver problem or a hardware problem. It worked fine for a while, so I am assuming it is hardware.

Try hooking up the drives to a spare PC PSU for power but still connected to the Rosewill enclosure for data. Use the paperclip method to start the PSU. Get what I'm saying so far?

My question is, can I switch this RAID 5 to another box? Such as a NAS or something else besides this Rosewill box? Is there any way I can keep the integrity of the RAID 5, or does it have to be with the specific device?

Well not entirely sure that SIlicon Image controller cards can import RAID arrays made by an older Silicon Image controller. I mean, Silicon Image cards are cheap for a reason. But your best bet would be another one of those Rosewill RSV-S5 enclosures to import the RAID array.

Though another cheaper option might be GetDataBack. Try out the free GetDataBack trial on one of the HDDs from the enclosure hooked up to a PC to see if it can read the data off it.

I think I figured out what the problem was. The SATA port on the RSV-S5 sucks. It feels like the cable is just sitting there. Or it might have been the SI RAID card that came with it that I installed into my computer. I played with both the connections of the SATA cable and made sure the card was fully seated. Now it came back online. Wondering if I found the fix, or if that is a sign to get a better device.

Back