My PSU died and I need a new one.

Ihaveworms

Ukfay Ancerkay
Well my (please don't flame me) Rosewill PSU died after 10 months of use. The computer will not stay on for more than 3 seconds now. I also hear a high pitched noise that I think is coming from the transformer or something. Anyway, I need a new PSU and I want to order one today so I can get it back up and running.

Specs are:
amd 3200+
7900 GT
4 sticks of PC3200 RAM
Audigy 2 ZS
2 Hard-drives
1 Optical Drive
2 Case fans
1 120mm Fan on processor.

I would like a nice reliable PSU, but I don't have a lot of money to spend. Maybe in the $40-$60 range +/- a few dollars. Thanks for your help.

I would recommend this PSU:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817194015

It has dual +12V rails at 22A which provides quite enough power for your rig. I currently ordered this PSU as:

1. It's an Enermax (they make quality PSU's)
2. At $75 it's a great deal for what you are getting.

An Enermax Noisetaker also on Newegg has the EXACT same specs yet it costs $31 dollars more. This definitely seems like a good deal to me as the only difference between them is that this is an OEM version.

Ehh $75 is kinda out of my range. Do you know of any in the range that I posted? Also note, I live in one of the few states that newegg charges tax too. That being a high %9 tax rate -_-

How about this unit:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817159040

It has loads of positive reviews AND it is SLI Certified so you should have no worries about this PSU not being able to power your system.

The final cost is $67 with tax and 3 day shipping. In my opinion, this is the cheapest decent PSU on Newegg. If this is still too much for you, then I'll gladly look somewhere else other than Newegg.

It seems that coolmax is on the PSUs to avoid list in the Sticky at the top. One other thing I might note. I would like to get a new CPU+Mobo+DDR2 Ram maybe in December. Not sure if it will work out, but I would like to get a PSU that could power the new equipment it turns out I am able to get it.

Pass on coolmax.

Enhance ENS-5150 ($69 at ewiz.com) might be your best choice; 36a don't lie.

Think you could find something in the $50 dollar range. It seems you all like to post things out of my range :confused:

I have no idea why you have a semi-high end rig yet your hesitant to spend over $50 on a PSU. Why don't you invest in something thats proven to last and power well like say, a Seasonic 500.

That FSP is okay for ~$50.

I'd go with the Enhance unit recommended by Bbq.

I have an Enhance 460W, dual rails (18A and 17A). It powers 6 hard drives, 2 optical drives, fan controller, Athlon XP 2400, 1 stick of Samsung 512 DDR400, MSI KT4AV-L, 4 fans, AGP card, and 5 PCI cards. I bought it 3-4 years ago and is running like a tank. I also spent $130ish on it then. It is a worthwhile investment.

Or you could just return the Rosewill they are guaranteed for a year

Wouldn't that mean he'd get another one back? That would suck.

Why would that suck? He obviously got a defective power supply, so replace it with a good one of the same model. That will not cost him anything, other than the return shipping on the RMA. :D

Seriously, why would you advise somebody that has a defective part that is still covered by a warranty to forget the warranty coverage and spend good money on a new one? That would be like telling me not to RMA those defective Corsair 6400C4 memory sticks that I got from newegg last month and just eat the cost to buy something else. If he bought the Rosewill from newegg they will handle the RMA if not then Rosewill ought to take care of him.

Back