My PSU and GTX 580 mismatch pin connectors, is it a problem?

Hi:

My current 1000 watt PSU has two 6 pin connectors while the 580 gtx has one 6 pin input and one 6 pin input. Anyone know if this is gonna be a problem. Are there extention available to convert one 6 pin to an 8 pin? Thanks in advance!

Sorry, I meant the 580 gtx has one 6 pin and one 8 pin input while my psu has two 6 pin connectors

Your PSU ONLY has two six pin connectors? That is all? There should be more if it is a fairly modern PSU. If you discover that you have more, there are numerous two six pin to one eight pin converter cables out there.

Did you buy the card new? normally they come with molex extensions for 6 or 8 pin. Yes it will be a problem for sure even if it would run on two 6 pins i wouldn't attempt it.

My PSU has 4 six pin connectors which I'm running two 275 gtxs (2 x 6 pins for each card) the newer cards like the 6970 and 580 gtx require one 6 pin and one 8 pin.

I did not buy the card yet....just finalizing my list of parts. I'm basically regutting my alienware and keep the opitcal drives, harddrive, and power suppy....just redoing the cpu, mobo, ram, and gpu. The probem is if I need a new power supply than I need a new case also....from a cost standpoint I dont spend money on those items.

I would buy a two six pin to one eight pin converter cable when you order the GTX 580. Keep in mind that this will limit you from being able to properly do SLI GTX 580 down the road, if that is your progression.

SLI is my progression....suck! I think the 6950 require two six pins. Maybe I should pick up two of those which is roughly the cost of one gtx 580 and do crossfire right away. Plus I get an addition vram ( from 1.5 to 2) since you can't share vram on multi-gpus. Any suggestions?

Weird, which psu is it? I've not heard of a 1000W psu that only has 6 pin PCIe connectors.....

Its proprietary alienware stuff. Its an alienware area 51 7500 I bought back in 07 which power my two original 8800 gtx in SLI.

Aye, the OEM stuff only uses "at the time" standards. So, his Alienware PSU would only have six pin connectors. =/

Honestly, unless you're a linux diehard, I would go for the 6950's in Xfire.

SLI is my progression....suck! I think the 6950 require two six pins. Maybe I should pick up two of those which is roughly the cost of one gtx 580 and do crossfire right away. Plus I get an addition vram ( from 1.5 to 2) since you can't share vram on multi-gpus. Any suggestions?

Sure do that if you want the performance of 580 SLi for the cost of a single GTX 580 :rolleyes: :eek::):D:cool:

I recommend 2 of these http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102945&Tpk=6950 dirt 3

I asked this in the PS forum and was told I was good but now reading above I am starting to worry again.

I have a Rocketfish RF-700WPS2 and want to get a ASUS Radeon 6970 DirectCU II but it requires two 8 pin and the PS only has two 6 pin. Will using the adapter below to convert both 6's to 8's work? I am buying only one card and will not be going CF. I have already purchased the cables but have yet to buy the card.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002SZ45BU/

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back