My Precious Dell U3014s Have Been Ordered!

ghm3

n00b
I've been waiting for a good ~3 years for Dell/HP/etc. to make a 30" LED-backlit monitor, at last my wait is nearly over!

U3014Quote.JPG

U3014orderstatus.JPG

My Dell rep said I'll most likely get it within 2 weeks, anyone who orders from Dell regularly is probably familiar with their conservative shipping estimates (when I ordered my M11xR3 it arrived 2 weeks sooner than the estimate).

So my guess is I should get it by the week after next. I think I have a buyer for my 3 HP ZR24w monitors too, so between that and my tax return the hit to the wallet won't even sting so severely. I don't normally ever get extended warranties, but with the cost of these monitors and the awesome discounts I got for them, it's a no brainer (the 5 year accidental damage warranty for the U3011 is $350 on Dell's site, the same I paid for all three of the U3014 warranties).

Edit: Order shipped this morning so I should have it next week!

Last edited:
How did you get that price for the U3014?

I work in IT and contacted our Dell rep for info about the monitor a few weeks ago. She told me they'd be able to start taking orders on 3/28 and would send me an quote then. Got the quote this morning, upped it to 5 year Accidental (it was $3450 or so w/ standard 3yr) and got my order placed.

The Dell Pro Tech/business side is basically like a completely different company from the main consumer side, it's a vastly superior experience in pretty much every way. Along with it comes discounts such as this that isn't offered elsewhere I suppose.

Man that's a lot of money... Extremely jealous! Out of interest, why did LED mean so much too you? Are you after the power savings when running three of these beasts..?

Man that's a lot of money... Extremely jealous! Out of interest, why did LED mean so much too you? Are you after the power savings when running three of these beasts..?

Coming from someone who runs 3x CCFL 30"rs, It's all about heat. These are ovens.

The power savings is certainly a factor, but more so the heat out put and perceived reliability/longevity of an LED backlit vs. CCFL display. Perhaps I'm wrong but I just generally have more faith in an LED-backlit panel being more reliable and lasting longer.

My ordered just shipped! Should have it next week.

The power savings is certainly a factor, but more so the heat out put and perceived reliability/longevity of an LED backlit vs. CCFL display. Perhaps I'm wrong but I just generally have more faith in an LED-backlit panel being more reliable and lasting longer.

My ordered just shipped! Should have it next week.

Woohoo! Post pics when you have them all set up!

Woohoo! Post pics when you have them all set up!

Definitely. I'm going to make a thread showing my latest PC build too, it's pretty awesome if I say so myself, my favorite build to date (and I've built many PCs). Was waiting to get these monitors first to do it all at once.

This is epic. Are you gaming on these?

Yeah, gonna make my GTX Titan suffer :)

Got them yesterday! Today or tomorrow I'll have a new thread with full setup info and more pics as well, but here's a quick phone camera pic:

20130401_183316.jpg

Damn, that's a thing of beauty. I would upgrade mine in an instant If I had the cash.

Fantastic price! Congrats :)

Not sure the extra warranty was needed, but then you never know I guess.

Very nice setup! Congrat's! Don't want to spoil the moment, but do you have any back light bleeding / tinting on your monitors? I got the pink tint on my U2413 (that I'm exchanging, that was similar to the blue tint I had on my U2410.)

Fantastic price! Congrats :)

Not sure the extra warranty was needed, but then you never know I guess.

Yeah it probably wasn't, but it was well-priced and if I need it for just one of them it'll pay off in spades. Generally I never get extended warranties, but the rate just seemed too reasonable to pass up. Any warranty more than 10-15%ish the cost of the unit is really pushing its usefulness, but that's most of them, and most don't even cover accidental damage. The 5 year accidental on the U3011 was $350, which is absurd. I think it's only $148 or something on the U3014, I paid about $115 for them.

Plus it's nice to know that even if one of them breaks during a move or something it's covered.

Very nice setup! Congrat's! Don't want to spoil the moment, but do you have any back light bleeding / tinting on your monitors? I got the pink tint on my U2413 (that I'm exchanging, that was similar to the blue tint I had on my U2410.)

I have a problem with my center monitor which I haven't started to diagnose yet. I'm really not sure how to best describe it. While playing video or in games, it will sporadically give off this.... squared tinted box thingy for a few seconds, then vanish. I had the Dell Monitor Manager or whatever software it's called, and the popup would always appear asking about what color settings/mode (standard/gaming/etc.). to put it in even though I checked the 'never ask me again' box. I thought maybe the software was glitchy and making the monitor change modes for some reason, so I uninstalled it, but the issue persisted so I suspect it's defective.

That middle monitor is the only one connected via DisplayPort, so that's a potentially significant distinction. I'm gonna hook it up via DVI and see if it persists, and if the others do the same thing while connected via Display Port. When I first hooked them up I used the daisy-chaining method which I thought would be awesome, except Windows only detected one monitor connected which I hated.

Those look gorgeous. :) How are you liking the monitors?

Thanks! Other than the issue I'm having with the center one I'm loving them. It's really disgusting how they looked so large and awesome as I took them out of their boxes but 10 minutes into using them I was already completely used to it and wanted moar! I think the coolest thing about 2560x1600 so far is that you can have two web pages open side by side in the same monitor. Most web pages aren't like this site where it scales to the full width; you know how when you maximize most pages it still only uses the middle part of the screen? That means that you can see the entire content of most web pages with two windows side by side, it's really sweet.

Oh, and here's a better pic w/ a real camera:

Desk3-040213.jpg

Desk1-040213.JPG

Thanks for the feedback -- yep, mine is on DisplayPort to Mini DisplayPort and I haven't tried to change the cables yet to see if the pink tint changes on different connections, but the very bad backlight bleeding on my U2413 is a problem regardless of connection :(

Awesome setup! Just curious, is the desk by Bush? I have a Bush 72" desk right now and I'm looking to get another (either similar to what you have or the Racetrack / Penissula type)-- for quality and price, I really like what Bush offers.

Thanks for the feedback -- yep, mine is on DisplayPort to Mini DisplayPort and I haven't tried to change the cables yet to see if the pink tint changes on different connections, but the very bad backlight bleeding on my U2413 is a problem regardless of connection :(

Awesome setup! Just curious, is the desk by Bush? I have a Bush 72" desk right now and I'm looking to get another (either similar to what you have or the Racetrack / Penissula type)-- for quality and price, I really like what Bush offers.

Yeah same, using the DP to mini DP it shipped with. I do have a few DP cables from my old HPs I can try to test with as well. I'll update this thread w/ whatever I find.

Sow how does it happen for you? As I described? Do you have the Dell app installed and if so does it pop up constantly about setting changes? Is it the entire screen or just sections? For me it's only while I have video up; I can be on a browser for hours but moments after putting video on it I get the odd boxy filter things. They're so brief that it'd be difficult to capture too. I should try to take a video and see if it's perceivable.

I don't notice any backlight bleeding issues. My understanding is any IPS panel will have backlight bleeding just because they're so bright, but I don't notice any problems on mine, even on black backgrounds. What brightness setting do you use? I don't like high brightness, I think I have mine down to 15 or 20 or so, so maybe that's why I'm not having any issues with it. I'm sure some panels will just be different than others too of course.

Edit: Oh and yes, those are Bush Series A desks. Specifically, 2 48" corner desks, the 36" desk on the side as a return, and the 3-drawer file cabinet. I really like them too, I like the modular aspect of just picking the ones that fit best for your setup, they all go together well and won't be a huge PITA to move like some desks are.

Last edited:
I was in the World of Tanks menu and the filter thingy happened again long enough to get a pic of it. Instead of re-sizing and compressing it I'll just link to it instead of embedding:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1109213/DSC00172.JPG

I think I may have found the "feature" doing this, but I'm not 100% sure quite yet. I haven't seen it since but it's only been an hour or so.

Menu > Display Settings > Smart Video Enhance

This was enabled on this monitor. At first I thought maybe it was a DP only feature or something because it was disabled on my monitor that I play most video from where it never happns from (DVI). But then I checked my right monitor (DVI) and it was on there as well. I certainly never modified this feature from the monitor menu though, the only thing I changed on any of them was the brightness (down to 15). I'm sure the Dell monitor app can modify settings too, I was telling it to disable all the enhance crap but it didn't seem to be taking.

Oh yes, the "Smart Video Enhance" -- terrible -- I discussed that with another HF member when I was playing back video in the Official Dell U2413, just turn it off. I have to make this post quick, but will reply in full tmrw, and I'm just venting a bit a now, my replacement came today (terrific customer service and responsiveness,) however, two things. The back light is now perfect (IPS glow present, but as-good-as-it's-going-to-get even backlighting, so I'm satisfied there,) but now not only do I have a pink blotch on the right hand corner (like the first one I got,) next to the power button, but now I also have a green blotch on the left hand corner! Never mind the three scratches on the frame, fingerprints all over the screen and dust all over the unit. Both were Rev 01, Manufactured on Feb 2013. I think I'm losing in the Dell lottery panel game and I'm just going to call it quits.

Oh yes, the "Smart Video Enhance" -- terrible -- I discussed that with another HF member when I was playing back video in the Official Dell U2413, just turn it off. I have to make this post quick, but will reply in full tmrw, and I'm just venting a bit a now, my replacement came today (terrific customer service and responsiveness,) however, two things. The back light is now perfect (IPS glow present, but as-good-as-it's-going-to-get even backlighting, so I'm satisfied there,) but now not only do I have a pink blotch on the right hand corner (like the first one I got,) next to the power button, but now I also have a green blotch on the left hand corner! Never mind the three scratches on the frame, fingerprints all over the screen and dust all over the unit. Both were Rev 01, Manufactured on Feb 2013. I think I'm losing in the Dell lottery panel game and I'm just going to call it quits.

Ugh that really sucks. How severe is it? Only visible in certain colors or is it a fully defective group of pixels?

I think I can safely say that Smart Video Enhance was the culprit for that issue I captured in the pic above, I can't even begin to understand how anyone would like it, it was infinitely more annoying than any sort of picture enhancement it's supposed to be doing. I guess I'll re-install the monitor manager software at some point now.

Yeah, i've tried several "gaming mode" and "movie modes" on various models of different brands and without exception it has always introduced artifacts or anomalies making them not ideal. Rather unfortunate, but the normal mode is generally fine - in practice you won't notice any difference between any PLS or IPS monitor in motion, they're all similar unless you're using an early model from 2004-2008. 2011-2013 models tend to be very good, although obviously not as good as a lightboost 120hz monitor.

Still will get back to you later today, but for now, I found this: http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/st...10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921666519671 which is due out on 5/5 -- it's a 32in Sony HDTV. I think after searching through all these dedicated "computer" monitors, I'd rather go with a HDTV where the main focus of tech in LCD still is today and where QA still remains decent. The resolution is still 1920x1080 @ 32in, but I really want quality and the larger screen size for overall use (development, movies, photos, etc...) without the eyestrain of higher resolutions (I had a Dell M4600 with a 15.6 screen and 1920x1080, and even with the default 125%, the text was too small to work with for hours at a time -- bumping to 1XX%, some things scaled well and others didn't -- tried with Win XP, 7, and 8, all equally not good, but that's a whole other topic.) This TV also has a dedicated HDMI PC Input that I'm interested to see how it performs.

Forget about HDTV's as a monitor once they are over 27" -- I bought for a test a 39" Toshiba, and while somethings were nice about it, colors were nowhere the same as a monitor and text legibility was bad. I still may give that SONY model a chance, but my expectations are low. As for my U2413, I did a "color reset" and it appeared the pink/green went away, but they came back about 2 minutes later. Also, what's really weird is that if I hover over the menu (not bringing the menu up, just hover where the LED button light is activated) the pink disappears. Putting my hand around the greenish area doesn't change anything. This replacement would've been perfect if it was Christmas monitor! Other than that, the monitor is that good, but it's a shame, I'm not going to keep it, no matter what I do, my eyes constantly focus on what is wrong with the unit and I can't enjoy everything else about it. It's funny, Dell says they only spec the center 2 inches, but we have a 24" inch screen. The joke is on us I guess.

Again, nice desks, I like the Bush design, hardiness and ease of disassembly when moving (dissembled and moved my desk twice) I believe mine is the C series.

I tried various brightness settings and decided on 48 Bright / 38 Contrast to prevent inverse ghosting. Also, have you tried the fullsize displayport? I tried on my desktop/laptop, and it gets no signal.

For the video enhancement, it was more like a "hue" shift -- the entire video would go from dark to light depending on how bright the scene was.

Last edited:
Why are you posting this in this thread? Post on topic or start a different thread.

Back