My performance isn't as good as expected...

Yeah, heres another "why arent my temps lower" thead.
System specs are in my sig.

Now, I know that I am o/c'd quite a bit, but my temps are a bit high when idling at 40-41C. My room temperature is right around 26-27C (I live in FL, and my room does get kinda crappy A/C flow, its at the end of the house. Maybe the latter could be attributed to it.

Anyway, my load temps are around 47C.

Case temps seems to be high also, even after I added 4 80mm case fans. Im idling at 35C and load gets into the high 30s, low 40s or so. I have 4 intake, 2 outtake, 1 side that pushes air out.

Here are some pics of my rig:

My-White-Water-Setup-001.jpg

My-White-Water-Setup-012.jpg

My-White-Water-Setup-002.jpg

My-White-Water-Setup-003.jpg

My-White-Water-Setup-005.jpg

My-White-Water-Setup-008.jpg

My-White-Water-Setup-009.jpg

My-White-Water-Setup-011.jpg

Also, my fans on top of my heater core are forcing the air upwards (I figured this would be the best since heat rises). Is this the most efficient method?

Can anyone explain this or give some advice? Thanks.

Interesting, I just switched the direction of the side window fan to blow air into the case. It seems my idle case temps dropped 4C to 31C. Interesting. There is no chance in the CPU temperature, though.

such big pics, this is the fourth form I found with those pics!! :-P

Any whoo, if you OC a good deal like you said, those temps are perficly acceptable. Remember, the only really bad temps for your proc is if its above 50C

Just MHO though

Im assuming you have the fans on your rad pulling air out of the case? If so you are pulling hot case air through the rad instead of cool outside air being blown through the rad which is going to effect water temps. Also you have two 90 degree fittings on the res and 90 degree fittings really hurt overall flow rate.

Are you using UV die or antifreeze?

If Antifreeze, try going with less of it, and more water.. pure water is about the best you can get for heat transfer, any additives reduce it's ability to carry heat.. but pure water will eventually grow green things and disolve metals. (so a little bit of preventiative is good)

Also make sure you have good contact between the waterblock and the CPU, and that you are using the right amount of a good thermal paste.

Is the air coming out of your rad hot?

==>Lazn

Animal982 said:
Im assuming you have the fans on your rad pulling air out of the case? If so you are pulling hot case air through the rad instead of cool outside air being blown through the rad which is going to effect water temps. Also you have two 90 degree fittings on the res and 90 degree fittings really hurt overall flow rate.

The rad is completely out of the case, and there are no holes on the top of the case except to feed the barbs and tubing through. The air is pulled from the sides, I've allowed about 3/4'' space from the top of the case. This should be sufficient.

As for the barbs, if i got some plastic straight ones, do you really think this would make a difference?

Lazn_Work said:
Are you using UV die or antifreeze?

If Antifreeze, try going with less of it, and more water.. pure water is about the best you can get for heat transfer, any additives reduce it's ability to carry heat.. but pure water will eventually grow green things and disolve metals. (so a little bit of preventiative is good)

Also make sure you have good contact between the waterblock and the CPU, and that you are using the right amount of a good thermal paste.

Is the air coming out of your rad hot?

==>Lazn

Yes, I am using antifreeze. Honestly, I am not completely sure of the % mix, as I filled the system with water, and left a small bit of space in the res. I then filled the rest with antifreeze. This was maybe 1/4 to 1/3 a cup. I am not sure how much the entire system takes. When I finish moving to college, I'll premix coolant, and see if this helps.

I am also using a few drops of UV dye.

I am fairly sure there is good contact between the waterblock and CPU. I put a very small, then, even layer of AS5 on the core, and even put a bit on the waterblock, massaged it it, and wiped off the excess. I lapped the waterblock up to 1500 grit, it is a mirror finish.

I mounted twice, to check if I didnt mount evenly the first time. I got the same exact temps.

Do you guys think the position of the pump hurts flow? Should it be higher up?

Also, if i added a 2nd core (a D-tek pro 120 core to be exact) do you guys think I would get better temps? Also, should I do this is series or parallel?

more rads = less flow rate = worse temps.

but then again, I am the guy who said 47 load is perfectly acceptable if your OC'en

DarkenReaper57 said:
leh, I dont understand why they arent autosized. Whats so bad about high res pics anyway? You can see more detail that way :).
I'm lazy. I don't want to resize them (or scroll around to see things), and a lot of people are the same way. So in the end you're showing them a lot of detail of a small useless area.

And these images aren't big, I am used to 4000x6000 pixel images and some larger ones that are up to 400mb in size or larger (uncompressed 8bit and some 16 bit tiffs).... those are big.

This is just too big for web... but not big.

Back