My perfect macbook pro

nb14

Weaksauce
So i have a 13" 2012 mbp (optical drive) and love it.
It's been through alot. My uni degree, a smashed screen, a new battery, 2 new power adapters but i have used her for 4 years daily for around 7 hours on average.

I think im ready for an upgrade though.

This is what i want:

Thin and light (almost like the new Macbook)
The new small usb ports (yes at least 2 ports)
1440p+ screen
13" screen in a 12" body (small bezels)
Reasonable price (Around £1199)
Macbook pro specs
oh and the option of a space grey colourway.

Am i asking for too much? :D

You forgot to include a GPU that out-performs a 980Ti and generates less heat than integrated graphics. :cool:

Transforms into a race car/airplane/boat at the press of a button, and makes a damn fine espresso. These, these are the things.

Oh and fully water proof so i can use it in a swimming pool ;)

You forgot to include a GPU that out-performs a 980Ti and generates less heat than integrated graphics. :cool:

Transforms into a race car/airplane/boat at the press of a button, and makes a damn fine espresso. These, these are the things.

Oh and fully water proof so i can use it in a swimming pool ;)

Also has comparable power to a E5-2699v3.

Check out the XPS15. That has the new screen that supposedly is the bee knees.
http://www.dell.com/us/p/xps-15-9530/pd

EDIT: Totally didn't see your price requirement...

^It really boggles my mind how they think 4k on a 15.6" screen is useful.

Have you not looked at the 13" MBPr? It's pretty close in specifications for what you're asking for.

The only issues is that it has integrated graphics and it ain't cheap. Other than that it can meet specifications.

Have you not looked at the 13" MBPr? It's pretty close in specifications for what you're asking for.

The only issues is that it has integrated graphics and it ain't cheap. Other than that it can meet specifications.

Thanks bro, i was speculating more and hoping for an update to that line in the near future with updated usb ports ect

It just had an update with Force touch. Unlikely to have anything else soon. Skylake Projected at soonest late 2015, more than likely early 2016.

If you want to wait, that's fine. But if you're actually trying to get work done, buy when you need it.
http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#Mac
http://www.macrumors.com/2015/07/24/intel-skylake-processors-leaked-slides/

EDIT: Also, no one is really ever going to tell you with certainty Apple's release schedule. We can make guesses, but really it's just conjecture... which is pointless.

+1 to the 2015 13" rMBP. I love mine. Can handle just about anything except GPU-intensive work and I really like the force touch track pad. Got mine from eBay. It was new, sealed, 256GB SSD, $1250 shipped. :)

+1 to the 2015 13" rMBP. I love mine. Can handle just about anything except GPU-intensive work and I really like the force touch track pad. Got mine from eBay. It was new, sealed, 256GB SSD, $1250 shipped. :)

Another +1 for the 13" rMBP. Had a few 15"s, a few 13", and the 13" has plenty of power and portability for anyone really. Just recently switched to the 12" rMB myself, and it's still plenty for the coding and minor graphics work that I do. Lot of good stuff in the $1200-1400 range.

My quote was in UK Pounds.
So that laptop was not too far off tbf.

I am after a mac though.

There's three different product lines, what do you need help with exactly.

I have a Late-2014 MBP 13" i5, 256GB, 16GB with OS X 10.11 on it and I personally wouldn't trade it for anything. Optical drive is just basically an option anymore and really do not need it whilst traveling, again my opinion.

If it were me, I would stick with the 13" MBP with the specs above and go from there, screw the optical drive.

With all that said if I were to stray from an Apple for my laptop I would seriously consider the HP Omen, bought one for the M-i-L and she loves it, it's sick fast and I too think 4K is a waste on anything 15.6".

4k on a 15.6" screen is fantastic, but not for portable things. I'm working on a DIY LCD right now with a custom eDP controller for use with Ebay stock 15.6" 4K LCDs for high-end portable gaming. I'm basing this on how well my 10" Ipad Retina display worked with my last uSFF LAN system worked - More pixels less to carry around.

But no, I don't recommend anything more than 1080p on 15.6"/13.3" for Windows / Mac, and I don't recommend 4K on anything smaller than 32" for most people. Certain things come out too small and it strains the eyes for general use. For gaming / graphics use, cramming all the pixels together can be a tossup.

I've got a 15" Alienware with the 4K touch screen, and while it looks very sharp, it's just completely unnecessary. Even the 28" screens right now that are 4K are bleh, just don't see any reason for them when the real estate is so small.

Wish they would update the the macbook pro with the optical drive. The macbook pro 2013 13" was the perfect macbook pro (aside from no USB 3.0) Such a great computer for all the school and contractor work I did. I added a corsair 2*8GB DDR3 kit and originally an intel SSD which was later upgraded to a SanDisk Pro drive.

I loaned that macbook and agreed to have it purchased from me for a good price for the buyer who runs a podcast and does some FCPX exports on it for his drag cooking show. It was the 2011 early feb 13 MBPwith the fastest Sandy Bridge i7 dual core available.

I recently purchased the 13" Macbook Pro Retina with 16GB/512SSD and the fastest broadwell i7 available. I wish I could buy the 13" Macbook Pro non-retina with the fastest broadwell along with the new battery tech/reduced glare screen and update everything else on my own. (And save hundreds not purchasing these upgrades from Apple.) I still need to use the optical drive from time to time but mostly I really dislike having to take and use the thunderbolt ethernet adapter. I also like that when a bigger better SSD comes out I can update it on my own.

I was perfectly fine with the display on the 2011 13" MBP except for the reflective nature of the screen. I could do it all whether it be OSX, Windows(VM), Linux(VM), CUDA(VM), OpenCL(VM), Python, etc.. dev for school, work, or personal hobby. There is nothing really this new macbook pro does that makes me thankful I upgraded save for the battery life/reduce screen glare.

Wish they would update the the macbook pro with the optical drive.
The ROI on such an endeavor would be very small and very likely a loss. If they tinker with it at all, they have to invest money and resources into a device with a likely already slim profit margin (depending on who they sell to). I'm not sure why they even sell that thing in stores, it's mainly for education and commercial customers who favor a static, unchanging spec year over year. Much like the eMac of yesteryear, these should be a special order item from institution-specific ordering sites.

Any Joe walking into an Apple Store and asking about them will quickly get shuffled over to the Retinas.

@martinmsj You should have no trouble finding a used MBP in great condition with the specs you had on your 2013 model. Probably at a pretty good price, too.

Jesus told me he owned a computer like that once.

Yeah, he took his MBP in for water damage... genius told him water damage wasn't covered by AppleCare... Jesus says, "What about wine damage...."

Unfortunately, still not covered :D

Back