My PCP&C 510 in rock solid system caught fire, help!

n64man120

2[H]4U
I built my current rig about 2 years ago, pinnacle of my years of knowledge and reading, etc. It has run flawlessly this entire time, until this evening...

The system was running fine, and I went behind it to plug in a microphone. I gently tilted the system forwards to get a better view, and plugged in the microphone. Got up and noticed one of the monitors was out, so I went back down to fiddle with the cable a bit. At that point something smelled a bit off, but I figured it was nothing.

So a few minutes go by, I'm just browsing control panel on the desktop, and I start to hear the power supply fan start spinning incredibly fast, faster than ever before. Moments later, I start to smell something. I rush to shut down the system, and right about when it shuts down, smoke starts pouring out of the slits around the power supply. Unplugged everything and gave it time to cool down (boy was it hot).

Now I'm wondering what the hell happened to my high-end PSU all of a sudden. I'd imagine if voltages were getting unstable or temps too high, the system would have self-terminated. It's hooked up to a UPS that does line conditioning, and I didn't notice anything else, so I don't think it was a surge.

It's not even too hot inside, I've got 120mm fans and filters, so dust was nonexistent inside. I'm leaning towards the possibility of something shorting out, since I had recently tilted the case, although that's something I've done countless times before.

So what are your best guesses on what caused my PCP&C to suddenly skyrocket in temperature and start smoldering?

I'm trying to examine it the best I can, and determine the course of action. I put a lot of hours into the wiring, so between that and the water loop, removing anything will not be an easy task.

Basic Specs:
PCP&C 510 Power Supply
Single core AMD system, no OC
Watercooling loop

Cliffs:
- System running fine
- Tilted on side to plug in a cable
- Minute later PSU fan making loads of noise
- Shut down, and smoke starts pouring out of the PSU

Don't know what to tell you, really. PSUs degrade over time -- the caps, really, and you lose high-end wattage. What started as a 510 watt max PSU two or so years ago could be a 450 watt or less 'effective' unit now.

Can we get more detailed system specs? I'd guess that it just couldn't take the load anymore... or maybe something got loosened when you tilted it to plug the microphone in.

Can you test it with another PSU, make sure everything isn't shot, just the 510?

Is it under warranty? Call up PC Power and Cooling.

The full specs are in my sig. By today's standards, there wasn't a lot in there to draw the current. I don't have any spare power supply's on hand unfortunately, I may have some older ones, but they wouldn't have 24pin connectors, sata, etc.

I shot PCP&C an email to discuss it with them, but I don't know how easy an RMA process would be. I don't have any proof of purchase anymore, even though it'd easily be under the 5 year warranty still.

I'll probably have to buy a new PSU on the 'egg and hope that no other components got taken down with it.

The full specs are in my sig. By today's standards, there wasn't a lot in there to draw the current. I don't have any spare power supply's on hand unfortunately, I may have some older ones, but they wouldn't have 24pin connectors, sata, etc.

I shot PCP&C an email to discuss it with them, but I don't know how easy an RMA process would be. I don't have any proof of purchase anymore, even though it'd easily be under the 5 year warranty still.

I'll probably have to buy a new PSU on the 'egg and hope that no other components got taken down with it.

Hello, the OCZ reps are now also PCP&C reps. If you need any help, just let me know. You found the website and emailed, so it looks like you are doing fine. To my knowlegde you don't need the sales invoice to qualify for the RMA. Sorry for the problem.

Hello, the OCZ reps are now also PCP&C reps. If you need any help, just let me know. You found the website and emailed, so it looks like you are doing fine. To my knowlegde you don't need the sales invoice to qualify for the RMA. Sorry for the problem.

Awesome Andy, great to hear OCZ goes far enough to have reps on the forums. Do you know how flexible the RMA process is, in terms of modifying the supply? A few of the molex's have been swapped with colored ones, I've added sleeving to the cables. Also, I believe there may have been a small sticker torn on the edge of the casing, since I opened the casing of the supply. I opened it after it had been pouring smoke, and had cooled off, to make sure everything had calmed down.

It's clear that you guys are very in touch with the hardware community, so I hope these minor modifications don't affect my chances at having my warranty honored. None of the wires were cut or modified, so whatever caused the smoke was no fault of my own. I bought PCP&C for their outstanding reputation, so I'm rather shocked that this occurred.

The warranty for PC Power products is industry standard and states the following:

This warranty shall not apply to any product which has been subject to connection to a faulty power source, alteration, negligence, or accident, or to any product which has been installed other than in accordance with the instructions.

The full warranty is here: 5 Year Warranty

PC Power is handling RMA's out of their facility so your best bet is to explain why you opened the unit.

Breaking the seal voids your warranty, so it's best not to get too curious. If the fans were changed, that could be the cause of the failure as the unit may have been running too hot and caused component failure. As far as the changed sheathing I am not sure what their policy as I have not dealt with that yet. The merger is still very new.

It has been posted on other forums that once you contact PC Power & Cooling PSU`s that once you let them know you had a problem they will immediately ship you out another unit and usually you will have it in hand within 24hrs!! No questions asked !!
I understand they also will provide you with a shipping reciept and pay for shipping back the facility!!

It is also best to contact them by phone even though they are real good about abswering ther e-mail!!

Let me warn you that if you in any way modded the PSU that required you to break the factory seal such as changing the fan you most likely will be SOL!!

I seriously doubt that your PSU degraded over time from 510 to 450.......I have sevral PC Power & Cooling PSU`s and the oldest one is almost 4 years old and its still running solid no degredation at all!!

Yea the seal is broken, but no internals have been modified at all, including the fan. Can't blame PCP&C if they stand by their RMA policy, but hopefully it'll be clear to them that nothing was ever modified physically, that could have affected the outcome.

Yea the seal is broken, but no internals have been modified at all, including the fan. Can't blame PCP&C if they stand by their RMA policy, but hopefully it'll be clear to them that nothing was ever modified physically, that could have affected the outcome.

It will probably be best to give their support line a call. It's always better to have a chat.

Thanks

So nothing was modified.....yet you broke the seal.....to take pictures possibly or to look around?
Yet I fear the key sentence is nothing was modified that would have AFFECTED the outcome..

The seal is there for a reason and if anything was moddified...

well as AndyOCZ said -- It will probably be best to give their support line a call. It's always better to have a chat.

Good Luck with this situation!!

PSUs can be dangerous. One of my brothers torchd my PSU when I was out of the country for mant months. Sparks and flames shot out after turning it on he said. I beleive it... I saw what was left when I got back. I blame my problem on dust.

As far as your problem, who knows really. Electronic components degrade over time from heat exposure. PSU's generally are warm. Could've been a transformer or capacitor.... who knows. PSU's wear out faster than most equipment. They take the hit from spikes and voltage drops. Those can quickly shorten the life of the hardware.

Yea, I was real surprised it suddenly blew up, since it's sitting behind a UPS that does decent line conditioning for those spikes and lags.

OCC_Yoda
: By affected the outcome, I mean some of the stock zip ties were cut, and I sleeved the cables, and replaced a few molexs with a black-colored variety for looks. All of which do show some sort of modification, but wouldn't be reason for the supply to go up in smoke, especially since they were done two years ago. Nothing like replacing the fan, or caps, etc was done to the supply, so hopefully PCP&C will see that, and make good.

I was out for the weekend, so I'm going to try giving them a call tomorrow night. I initially sent a rather detailed email, asking to discuss the issue further, and I only got a one liner back linking to their RMA submission page.

Wow, PCP&C Rocks!

I called them to discuss the issue. The tech on the line couldn't cut me off fast enough. I told him how the cables were sleeved, how the molex's were changed, how the sticker was torn and the casing had been opened (but nothing modified). He told me it was not a problem, and to send it in, and they'd take care of it.

:D

Your problem is exactly why I got rid of my earlier PC Power and Cooling 510 Deluxe. I read several reports of one of the chokes on the board glowing red hot and burning up. PC Power and Cooling could not tell me if the PSU I had was one of the affected units, so I said the hell with that and sold it as part of a complete system. I found their support less than receptive to my concerns, however I deal with enterprise equipment and support everyday so I may be a bit spoiled by higher levels of service. Good luck with the RMA.

Back