My New Year's Gaming Resolution...

• Thread starter Deleted member 189430
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 189430

I'm going to devote the majority of my time on one major game at a time. That way I won't forget how to play the game and have to learn the controls all over again. I'll still have my games that I can just dive straight into for some mind numbing fun! This way, I can start clawing out of this backlog hell that I've dug myself into. :rolleyes:

Just hope that I follow through and don't..SQUIRREL! :D

And Happy New Year's to everyone! Be safe!

Never had that problem. Guess I've never had a big enough wallet to get an enormous steam backlog like a lot of other [H]ers.

Generally I only play one game at a time, sometimes 2-3 but those other two games are ones that I play often anyway. Like I'll play whatever "I'm working on" and then intersperse some CS or Civ5. In other words just classics that I play anyway. But generally never more than 1 new title at a time.

I never used to be that way, but two kids and the job got way more involved, so my backlog grew. WoW is also to blame for the backlog as well. :x

Mine is still 2560x1600, no affordable 5k monitors yet...

:D

lol

I used to have so many games that I played maybe half way through and then got bored of them.

Now I'm older, have less time to waste, so I'll definitely finish the game.
I've been pretty good as of the last few years in picking up a game I fully enjoy all the way through.

I want to play games in moderation this year, rather than in every free moment. I have shit I need to get done around here.

I'm doing the same, OP. I've taken it one-step further and have focused on one franchise at a time. I started doing this around the beginning of Q4 2014. I also resolved to only have one game installed at a time so I can't stray. I'm currently going through the Assassin's Creed series, on number 2. Will probably do Dragon Age next. I've gone through Crysis and Call of Duty so far. I think I have a backlog of around 400 games just on PC, last I checked :eek:.

I just need to make more time to play ... this last year I spent a lot of time traveling for work (spent about 110 nights in hotels) and I only have a work laptop I take on the road ... my travel schedule should be more diminished this year so hopefully I can get more gaming time

Resolution 1 - Play more of the early access/beta games I received as part of KS funding (I paid the extra and I should use the benefit more)

Resolution 2 - Get in more weekend playing (I moved to a new city closer to the factories I support for work so now I can do a daily commute rather than extended trips ... makes it easier to play on the weekends)

Resolution 3 - Upgrade my aging E8400 based system to an i7 based system (if I don't run into any big budget crisis)

:)

I hear you fellas. I start games but life gets in the way and never finish but I keep buying new games. I might try only having a few games installed and see how I fare.

Play through the backlog of games in my Steam library, but I have real-life resolutions as well.

I won't make resolutions I can't keep. I always tell myself I don't need any more games right now and then go "Oh that game looks great and it's on sale".

my resolution is to make a major dent in my Steam backlog...want to start with Witcher 1 and 2 before Wild Hunt comes out...I also started my other resolution awhile back- which is to be more selective as to which games I buy on Day 1...been burned with too many buggy releases over the past year

Play a minimum of 50 games a week of Starcraft 2 and finally make Diamond.

I hear ya.
Maybe it's a combination of getting older and just getting so busy now with work and family, but I have major gaming ADD these days. I have a huge backlog and with such limited time to game i just can't commit to anything.

I took some time off over the holidays and was able to focus better. I finally beat Farcry 3 today (I'm aware that farcry 4 has been out for a while :D, but I'll wait until it's under $10 like I did with Farcry 3), I've been playing through Alien Isolation (actually the wife has been nagging me to play it for her, it's too scary for her to play but she'll watch me play it, haha), and the wife and I have been playing through the Halo masterchief collection on my Shiny new Xbox One.

I hear ya.
Maybe it's a combination of getting older and just getting so busy now with work and family, but I have major gaming ADD these days. I have a huge backlog and with such limited time to game i just can't commit to anything.

I took some time off over the holidays and was able to focus better. I finally beat Farcry 3 today (I'm aware that farcry 4 has been out for a while :D, but I'll wait until it's under $10 like I did with Farcry 3), I've been playing through Alien Isolation (actually the wife has been nagging me to play it for her, it's too scary for her to play but she'll watch me play it, haha), and the wife and I have been playing through the Halo masterchief collection on my Shiny new Xbox One.
That has to be what it is. I think it's the illusion that you simply don't have the time to do it as you get older. But I realized that I could commit at least two hours to gaming each night and maybe 8 hours on the weekend. If I just put my mind to it that means I can go through 1-3 games a week.

I also find my mind wandering. I'm still working on Assassin's Creed, and over the weekend I really wanted to try Alien: Isolation and install Far Cry 4. Instead I just launched the AssCreed I'm on right now and let that prior idea fade away. Despite what my first post said I think I am going to break up the series notion. I'm already getting annoyed by some of the gameplay quirks with AssCreed, so I think I'm going to play Alien after I'm done with II to break up the monotony. I'm still going to only focus on one game at a time, though.

If I have any new years gaming resolution it's to try to be more patient with games that are out of my comfort zone. I've gotten better about it, there were times I wouldn't even try something that wasn't FPS but I now try many genres. I still only give some games 10 minutes before declaring I don't like them and I would like to change that. Best example is I did that with Deus Ex when I was 14 and tried it again when I was in college and loved it.

My other resolution is to continue on with my resolutions of years past. I want gaming to move more toward Linux, DRM free and demos. The last few years I have put my money where my mouth is and have only bought games I have liked that fit that criteria.

More of a PC hardware resolution than gaming...do not buy any new hardware this year...rig is already pretty much highest of the high end...

Back