My new system!! (Woot newegg!)

bnason

n00b
Well, my 2003 bonus finally hit my checking account, so today was my big day. My a** still hurts from the cost for all of this, but I'll be a happy boy through this next year!

PROCESSOR:
CPU AMD 64 |3200+ ATHLON 64 RTL
THERMAL COMPOUND|ANTEC SILVER

MOTHERBOARD:
ASUS K8V DELUXE K8T800

CASE:
LIAN-LI ALUMINUM PC65USB

MEMORY:
CORSAIR DDRAM 512MB 3200LLPT

HD:
74GB|WD 10,000RPM 8MB RAPTOR

SOUND:
SOUND BLASTER|AUDIGY 2 ZS PLATINUM

CDRW:
LITEON|52X32X52X LTR-52327S

VIDEO:
ASUS|RADEON R9800XT/TVD/256M

PSU:
ANTEC TRUEBLUE 480

MONITOR:
Mitsubish|19"CRT DP930SB-BK
Aperture Grill

FLOPPY DRIVE

Subtotal $TOO MUCH$

Thats one heck of a setup, top of the line more or less.

Lol i saw this guy call someone else a newbie in another thread..Give it a rest :)

Congrats on your new rig.

I will be interested on how it runs, I was just recently putting the same system together, AMD 64, K8V, etc etc... and had too many issues popping up to fix.

Today I ended up buying a new MB, processor, and PW and going back to comfortable world of 32 bit.

I will wait till 64 is more common to get a new system.

I was at work the other day and they were outfitting a system with four CPU's all with its own memory banks for each CPU.

Looks good, have fun with the new rig. As the others have pointed out, when you get a chance, get another 512 stick of ram.

Yeah, I was going to go wiht 1 GB of RAM, but I was getting really guilty about the price at the end. I do almost exlucisively computer gaming, so for now 512 MB will probably hold me up until I can throw in another stick.

And yeah, I'm a newb. I haven't had a great gaming system in years -- always compromised (even had a laptop at one point for gaming, ack!) So, this was my treat to myself :p It will of course be totally outdated Q3/Q4, but it should serve me well through next winter.

I'll posts scores as soon as it's all together!

Originally posted by bnason
And yeah, I'm a newb. I haven't had a great gaming system in years -- always compromised (even had a laptop at one point for gaming, ack!) So, this was my treat to myself :p It will of course be totally outdated Q3/Q4, but it should serve me well through next winter.

I'll posts scores as soon as it's all together!
If you're a newb then I have newb envy ;)

Whoever called you a newb must be some kind of newbophobe, as if everyone wasn't a newb at some point... :rolleyes:

Anyway if you ask me, I'm sure your rig won't be totally outdated til at least Q3/Q4 of 2006 :p

Originally posted by DRJ1014
And your point?

All i say is NEWB
That was uncalled for. :confused:

I would've done a few things a bit differently (A64 3000 and more RAM being the first, Raptor 36.7GB and a big IDE drive being the other), but that's certainly a box I wouldn't be ashamed of playing with.

Not bad. :)

For gaming I would say the 1 gig of ram is more important than the xt video card. I would go with a 9800 pro and one gig of memory.

But yea very sweet box.

EDIT: Also I didn't see any additional case fans.

All you need now is a DVD-ROM or +-R drive and a good TV tuner card, and you will be set!

Tsumari

For gaming now, will 512MB will present that much of a difference in performance as opposed to a full GB? I was kind of torn on that issue, and decided to cut a small corner with only the one stick of RAM. I figured that down the road in a few months, when more games will take advantage of larger mem., I'd upgrade then.

I hear that BF1942 in particular is a lot more playable on 1GB rather than 512MB; not all games are especially sensitive to RAM. Still, in general use, 1GB is still (usually) a noticeable improvement over 512MB.

Originally posted by Grimlakin
I would go with a 9800 pro and one gig of memory.
The grimster has a great idea here. Get a 9800pro dirt cheap at newegg and get a gig of ram with the savings. Overclock said 9800pro and you'll have yer cake and eat it too ;)

Originally posted by bnason
Yeah, I was going to go wiht 1 GB of RAM, but I was getting really guilty about the price at the end. I do almost exlucisively computer gaming, so for now 512 MB will probably hold me up until I can throw in another stick.
Go all the way or don't go at all man ;) Another $125 or so to the total price wouldn't break your back (what's that, like not even 10%?). Awesome rig though. Congrats.

I soooo need to build a new computer.

My current one is closing in on 3 years and it has recently been out of order for the last 2 months or so.

A new pc for me would be strictly for gaming and AutoCAD, but I'm still in college, though. In about 3 years I'll be ready to build an awesome top of the line pc. Until then, it's this dell 600m I'll be doing my gaming and what not on.

BTW, working on AutoCAD on this 14" screen is hell on my eyes.

Nice rig. Wish I could spend my financial aid money on one haha.

Back