My New Notebook Has Issues - Please Give Me Some Feedback

RicePapi

Limp Gawd
Ok, I got my Dell Inspiron 6400 today. I got some issues...

(1) When plugged in, this computer RUNS really hot. So hot, I can't comfortably rest it on my lap. I noticed that when I unplug the power adapter, the temperature gets a little cooler and becomes warm. The processor is an Intel Core Duo T2050 and it's pushing the Vista Basic Edition.

(2) For a core duo processor with 1 gig of memory - this computer is running slow. Programs lag when they load up. On first time boot-up, I had 75 processes running. I deleted every bloatware, and now I'm down to 55 processes on boot up. It still runs slow though. At this point, I don't know if it's my processor or the operating system. Sadly, I can't do a clean install of Vista because Dell only gave me the back up disc, which I'm sure is loaded with the same bloatware that was on the notebook.

(3) Two weeks ago, I upgraded the internet browser on my Desktop PC running XP to internet explorer 7. Well, IE7 made all my text and pictures blurry, and not crisp. I spent 6 frustrating hours troubleshooting it (clear type, etc), and I gave up. I deleted IE7 and XP automatically reloaded IE6 and everything is immediately fixed. ---- WELL --- the graphics for pictures and text on my Inspiron are not crisp right now, just like my prior experience with my Desktop mentioned above. After some research, I learned that IE6 is not compatible with Vista so I can't downgrade.

I'm not happy with this notebook right now. What do you guys think? I'm leaning towards installing XP Pro Edition and forget about Vista until they release a "service pack" that fixes most of the bugs out right now. But that still doesn't resolve this "heating" problem this notebook is having. :confused:

Update:

I installed XP PRO and things are so much better. The notebook runs super fast now, no lag or anything. My internet browser's text & pictures are now crisp and clear. The heat still bothers me. According to a few Dell notebook owners, this kind of heat is normal. Crazy.

Try removing your battery when you're on AC and see if that makes a difference?

Also as for the issues with Vista, I haven't had any problems with text clarity being different. If it's just on webpages you could try firefox instead of IE7. Also most reviews of Vista will highly recommend 2GB of ram to get the best performance. If that's not an option you could try using some fast flash memory to boost your performance. See:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/features/details/readyboost.mspx

Anandtech has an explanation and some benchmarks here: http://anandtech.com/systems/showdoc.aspx?i=2917&p=5

Back