my new NIC...dont understand...help

Lowbatt

Gawd
As I understand Wake on Lan. It is not just for waking up a sleeping computer it is used to remotely turn on a computer that is off. I special packet is sent to the computer that triggers it to boot up.

Originally posted by Lowbatt
As I understand Wake on Lan. It is not just for waking up a sleeping computer it is used to remotely turn on a computer that is off. I special packet is sent to the computer that triggers it to boot up.
That's how I understand it as well. It's basically like using the NO power switch connected to the front I/O-header, so if it's an ATX system and power is provided to the PSU, the system will boot when this WOL feature is activated.

It certainly has its uses.

Originally posted by Elledan
That's how I understand it as well. It's basically like using the NO power switch connected to the front I/O-header, so if it's an ATX system and power is provided to the PSU, the system will boot when this WOL feature is activated.

It certainly has its uses.

Hm. Don't suppose anyone knows offhand which RFC contains the spec for that special packet? I'd like to have a look at it (he says, mischievously).

Originally posted by skritch
Hm. Don't suppose anyone knows offhand which RFC contains the spec for that special packet? I'd like to have a look at it (he says, mischievously).
Well, if you do some google work, this "special packet" is known as the Magic Packet

Back