My new i7 2700k build log ! Excited !

sram

[H]ard|Gawd
Reminder:

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1671000

Okay. I'm going to start building my new rig this week.( A bit busy at work currently, but it is fine). I will keep this thread updated as I go. Your role here is to motivate/cheer me up;).

I had to get the thermaltake level 10 GT case for the lack of other choices. Hopefully it will perform. Yeah I know what you will probably say: It is ugly as hell. That's my opinion also, but I think I'll get used to it.

Will post some components shots very soon.....

Thanks for coming.

This is the level 10 from the front:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

And this is from the side with the side door open.....roomy !

This here shows the top with the top cover removed. Huge fan is huge.

Nothing matches the great feeling you have when you open mail packages and find these goodies here:

Shiny box and hopefully shiny performance...maximus iv extreme:

The 2700k bought from one of the nice members here:

Hopefully I will take to 5.xx GHz. Wish me good luck here.

This is the 7970 gigabyte's OC version. Couldn't get ASUS Direct CU II, but that's fine. It is three slots anyways which is too much I think.

And my ripjaws:

And the two M4's :D

This is the PSU. I chose it over the seasonic because of price. Unknown brand name to me, but I really have high hopes for it:

It's a good PSU, not as great as the Seasonic Platinum but still respectable.

Also that case looks hideous inside and outside the box. LOL

It's a good PSU, not as great as the Seasonic Platinum but still respectable.

Also that case looks hideous inside and outside the box. LOL

Hideous....Come on ! I'm trying to convince myself that I'm starting to like it:p

Looks to be a promising build! I'm also about to upgrade from a Q6600 to a 2700k...have the 2700k and Corsair 800D...saving up for the rest. In for updates on this thread!

RAIDing SSDs isn't exactly recommended.

Vantec89, unless you get a sweet deal on the 2700k it's not really worth it when they don't overclock any better than a 2600k.

Vantec89, unless you get a sweet deal on the 2700k it's not really worth it when they don't overclock any better than a 2600k.

You are right about raid 0, I'll just try it for the heck of it to see how it goes. I will then use one of the ssd's for my laptop.

And again you are right about the 2700k, but I actually got it for less than the 2600k price.

See if you can return them and get a 256gb, better performance, less hassle, lower cost.

I actually found two for a good price and couldn't resist. Thanks for the nice tip though.

I should have finished today, but the kids had a different opinion! Will update soon though.

Last edited:
Well let us know the results of raiding them, though it may take a while too get accurate results. Do some tests when you first do them, then like once a week. Just too see if their performance is effected.

Okay I'm about to finish. Too bad family issues are always in the way. I just can't wait to fire it up.

Here are some shots while building:

Preparing the corsair H100(It was slightly used in a previous build). I use arcticlean to get rid of the old paste.

The mobo unboxed:

I don't see how you can be so patient.

I can't even order parts individuality, because some arrive sooner than others; so I always make one large order, from the same location. Though they still sometimes ship separately, it's usually only a day difference.

I don't see how you can be so patient.

I can't even order parts individuality, because some arrive sooner than others; so I always make one large order, from the same location. Though they still sometimes ship separately, it's usually only a day difference.

Life is tough, I had to deal with some issues.

Here is the mobo with the CPU, RAM, and H100 water block installed.

According to the case manual, the 240mm radiator can only be installed if the top fan is removed. You can see that from the above picture. However, I want to keep the top fan. Thus, I'll think of some mod that will enable me to keep it and mount the 240mm radiator. I like the big fan, I wanna keep it. I'll remove it now though to finish the install, and I'll show you how the H100 radiator fits in the case.

Okay people, I fired it up finally. It worked ! I now just need to install windows 7 and rum benchmarks...........wait for the numbers;)

Here are some shots from my work in the last few hours.

The H100 radiator installed and the case top fan removed:

The 7970 unboxed:

Everything is in:

The small side windows shows the Corsair H100's water block:

And from the back:

Cable management:

It is easy to deal with cables with this level 10 case

And here is a screen shot from the all new BIOS:

And a night shot for more clarity;

You see the cpu stock idle temp? It is 23 in my case. I wonder what idle temps do you guys see with your 2600k's or 2700k's at stock. Can you please share?

More later...

Hi again. I'm at work currently so I can't post system related shots but I feel obligated to talk about the level 10 GT I used for this build. I disliked its shape, but I must say it that I can't be more satisfied with it. I really enjoyed working and building the pc with this case. It made almost everything easy.

I'll list down below what I really liked and what I didn't:

Pros:

1- The side panel opening/removing mechanism is nothing but great. Cool.

2- The side panel fan doesn't have its leads hard wired to the mobo. Instead, thermaltake made it really convenient. You can de-attach the panel and the leads pins will disconnect by themselves and vice versa.

3- You don't really need tools to work with it.
4- I really love those thumb screws. They are everywhere in this case.
5- Cable management is really easy. This is a big plus.
6- You have a cable security lock for your mouse/keyboard and other cables.
7- The hot swappable hard drive bays. They are compatible with both small and big drives. Really cool great little feature. Well thought out.
8- In the back, you have a big cut out for back plates.
9- All fans are big. I like bigs fans. And their LED colors are not bad.
10- Air flow is nice. It keeps your internals cool.
11- Cable ties are provided, which is nice.
12- You can lock the drive bays and the side panel, which is a good security measure.
13- Many USB connectors in the front, which is too handy.
14- You have a fan controller built in.
15- You can add an optional bottom fan.
16- Dust filters are everywhere.

What I don't like;

1- A bit heavy.
2- Doesn't have wheels.
3- Looks aren't great. It is not symmetrical.
4- Some cable management holes aren't placed properly. They are under the mobo edge, which makes them little hard to reach/use.
5- A bit expensive.
6- Hard to move/slide.

I can probably think of more later. Overall, it is a great case.

Congrats on the fun new build! How is the final product as far as sound levels at idle and while benchmarking with all those fans? And did you decide if you are going to someway mount the stock huge fan from the Level 10 with the H100?

When you're idling at 23 whats your ambient? I have a 2700k w/H60 @ 3.9 GHz and I can idle at 23c, but thats with like 60f ambient or cooler. overnight ive even hit 11 or 10c on a core with how how cold it got at night (35f?).

The case is definitely different, I kinda like it.
Thanks for sharing the pictures. :)

Congrats on the fun new build! How is the final product as far as sound levels at idle and while benchmarking with all those fans? And did you decide if you are going to someway mount the stock huge fan from the Level 10 with the H100?

At idle, I can barely hear anything unless it is really quiet like at 3 am. No kids, no backgrouind noise from outside, no TV...etc.

I didn't try with full load yet, but I will try it today and tell you. And yes, I'll find a way to reinstall the stock 200mm color LED fan. I like how it is big.

When you're idling at 23 whats your ambient? I have a 2700k w/H60 @ 3.9 GHz and I can idle at 23c, but thats with like 60f ambient or cooler. overnight ive even hit 11 or 10c on a core with how how cold it got at night (35f?).

Ambient is 26-28 C. With my older system, turning on the AC always reduces cpu temps.

Goddamnit I really want a Rampage board, but the cost of admission is kind of insane...

This is maximus iv, and it is nothing short of amazing. Start saving if you want a rampage. You won't regret it. These new systems are blazingly fast.

And YES, this post is from the i7 2700k build.;)

Yea, I got a sweet deal...lol. Can't beat a 2700k when you're only paying $120 for it...:D

The system is looking great man...I want to see some overclocking!

Last edited:
Yea, I got a sweet deal...lol. Can't beat a 2700k when you're only paying $120 for it...:D

The system is looking great man...I want to see some overclocking!

Overclocking? What's that? Hehehehe.

Just be little more patient, cpu-z shots are coming! My target is 5.0 GHz. If I don't reach that, I'll be crying the rest of this year.:)

Yeah, tbh I really like that case. Nice build, I hope you enjoy it :)

Here are some benchmarks shots for some viewing pleasure(No overclocking YET)

PCMark07

3DMark11

Passmark Performance test 7

I remember I used to get around 1600 points with the rig you see in my sig. Big difference!

HDtune for my M4 SSD

Back