My New File Server ( need a little help )

Irockzz

n00b
So I picked up a server for 150$ I think it's a supermicro case and mobo with some intel cpus and an LSI 9590se 16 port card i thought that was a good deal however I wanted to upgrade it some so I put in a I7-950 i had with 24gb of ram and moved the raid card over

so I picked up my drives I am going to use 12* 3TB WD Nas drives

However I thought the raid card I had would work with these but it does not they show up as 736GB I even updated the card

so now i have to get a new raid card and this is where i could use some help it has to have 16 ports

this was the card I was looking at 9260-16i - Newegg.com

I had a similar issue with a supermicro server and 3tb hdd's. I used gparted to format them and then they showed up properly.

it did for me, I've actually run into this twice, on the older supermicro server in bios it still said 700 something gb but on the other after I formatted the drives in gparted and the raid cards reported the drives correctly during post after that. Both situations though the drives were fully usable.

Odds are high that the controller can't handle drives over 2TB in capacity.

You'd be better off picking up two of these bad boys: The LSI 9211-8i

New LSI Internal SAS SATA 9211-8i 6Gbps 8 Ports HBA PCI-E RAID Controller Card

Cheaper, and you can share the HDD's over two PCI-E buses instead of one, theoretically boosting performance.

EDIT:
I'm a derp. I keep thinking that everyone wants HBA's, not RAID cards. That's what I get for largely using software raid / ZFS / Storage Spaces.... move along. move along. >_<

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back