My new 4k display. Samsung UN78HU9000 Curved

Kasucode

Limp Gawd
The Samsung 78" UN78HU9000 Curved 4k tv I went in to get a Samsung UN65HU7250 but got an awesome deal on the 9000 that I couldnt pass on. The second display is a LG 34um95. sadly I cant get 4k out of my non hdmi 2.0 4 watercooled 290s Ill be selling them soon for some 980s however even at 1080p this display looks amazing. pictures dont do justice. My wall is also striped of all my audio equipment to mount the tv. I will also be wall mounting my polk audio tower 70s and center channels

20140920_174920.jpg

20140920_184310.jpg

20140920_184324.jpg

20140921_023831.jpg

20140921_024507.jpg

20140921_193319.jpg

20140921_193521.jpg

20140926_204213.jpg

20140926_204250.jpg

The Samsung 78" UN78HU9000 Curved 4k tv I went in to get a Samsung UN65HU7250 but got an awesome deal on the 9000 that I couldnt pass on. The second display is a LG 34um95. sadly I cant get 4k out of my non hdmi 2.0 4 watercooled 290s Ill be selling them soon for some 980s however even at 1080p this display looks amazing. pictures dont do justice. My wall is also striped of all my audio equipment to mount the tv. I will also be wall mounting my polk audio tower 70s and center channels

20140920_174920.jpg

20140920_184310.jpg

20140920_184324.jpg

20140921_023831.jpg

20140921_024507.jpg

20140921_193319.jpg

20140921_193521.jpg

20140926_204213.jpg

20140926_204250.jpg

How much did cost you, last I check it was 8k...

Hows the input lag on it? does it have display port so you can send native 4k from pc to it?

Gorgeous!

Hows the input lag on it? does it have display port so you can send native 4k from pc to it?

The HU9000 does not have a DP connector. By the way, right now no one can get 4:4:4 (Full RGB) output on this set, even with the new Nvidia cards :( 60 Hz works but only at 4:2:0. Hope Nvidia or Samsung fix it soon...

How much did cost you, last I check it was 8k...

I dont have a CRT to compare but this is compared to my 34um95 iso 800
20140927_193442.jpg

no displayport I wish it did have it so I wouldnt need to change my cards.
This is the one connect box that I love. I have all my ports on my desk and dont have to get behind the wall mounted tv
20140927_194315.jpg

20140927_194356.jpg

and MSRP is 8999. I paid 5903 +tax at my local bestbuy

I would have spent some of the money on a housekeeper.

wow that's a great deal you got. Pretty much a dream TV.

Will you also use it for browsing/productivity? Or just entertainment?

I WANT IT!!!:D

Seriously man, I'm jealous. I'd give an arm and a leg just to own one of the boxes for one of those things.:D

Great pictures!

I've heard a lot of curved displays are prone to poor screen uniformity, if you wouldn't mind, could you check for backlight bleed and post a picture?

Does it use LED PWM Dimming (Side Effects)? Can test for it using this site which also explains how to interpret what is seen. Pretty pathetic when such expensive displays flicker vs. 100$ flicker free BenQ's.

Seconded. PWM is a pretty important purchase factor for a lot of us on [H], I can't thank you enough if you could check for this.

HOLY SHIT

I literally, no joke, just came in my pants.

Last edited:
I was all happy that I just bought myself an Asus GTX 970 and Samsung BD-F7500 Blu-Ray player and you had to post this.

Bastard! :p

Does it use LED PWM Dimming (Side Effects)? Can test for it using this site which also explains how to interpret what is seen. Pretty pathetic when such expensive displays flicker vs. 100$ flicker free BenQ's.

Ill check into it soon.

wow that's a great deal you got. Pretty much a dream TV.

Will you also use it for browsing/productivity? Or just entertainment?

I still cant believe I got it. It will be used for everything. but primarily entertainment/browsing consoles. Im also pretty happy with my 34um95 for productivity. This may change when I actually use the thing in 4k. I need new video cards first though :(

Great pictures!

I've heard a lot of curved displays are prone to poor screen uniformity, if you wouldn't mind, could you check for backlight bleed and post a picture?

Seconded. PWM is a pretty important purchase factor for a lot of us on [H], I can't thank you enough if you could check for this.

I did a basic test before I bought the thing testing black levels and seen no serious bleeding. ill do a more in depth test later.

I WANT IT!!!:D

Seriously man, I'm jealous. I'd give an arm and a leg just to own one of the boxes for one of those things.:D

it really is pretty :)

HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHA

my words every time i turn it on.

HOLY SHIT

I literally, no joke, just came in my pants.

my words every time i turn it off.

top left corner is that your rig?

Correct. http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1806845&highlight=

I was all happy that I just bought myself an Asus GTX 970 and Samsung BD-F7500 Blu-Ray player and you had to post this.

Bastard! :p

lol

By the way, right now no one can get 4:4:4 (Full RGB) output on this set, even with the new Nvidia cards :( 60 Hz works but only at 4:2:0. Hope Nvidia or Samsung fix it soon...

Waiting until next years model to see if that is fixed before I get a large curved 4K. Couldn't deal with 4:2:0.

30fps is completely unusable for me, I wouldn't personally even try it if I had this set.

this is so [H]ard that you could probably start a group for people who masturbated to these pictures, and we would join

Time to get you some 980's mate.

I want a few 980s id have to find a buyer for my 290s. what I really want is a proper displayport to hdmi 2.0 adapter that works.

30fps is completely unusable for me, I wouldn't personally even try it if I had this set.

I played diablo 3 with it its interesting but i promptly went back to 1080x60fps. mostly gaming on my LG for now

this is so [H]ard that you could probably start a group for people who masturbated to these pictures, and we would join

Ive been told several times I should charge people to watch movies in my room

Buying a giant, expensive, un-reviewed display to use for a monitor and not testing for PWM or calibrating it with a decent colorimeter (i1 display pro) ≠ [H].

Last edited:
Buying a giant, expensive, un-reviewed display to use for a monitor and not testing for PWM or calibrating it with a decent colorimeter (i1 display pro) ≠ [H].

Jealous?

Laugh and hate me all you want. The number one biggest reason for me buying a new display was for watching my Anime. I watch 1 to 3 hours every night. I knew I wanted at least a 65 inch and at first thought I was happy with a 1080p display. but after seeing them up close they look bad. and the 4K upscalling actually looks really good with anime. Everything else is just bonus

Laugh and hate me all you want. The number one biggest reason for me buying a new display was for watching my Anime. I watch 1 to 3 hours every night. I knew I wanted at least a 65 inch and at first thought I was happy with a 1080p display. but after seeing them up close they look bad. and the 4K upscalling actually looks really good with anime. Everything else is just bonus

This is a noble goal.

I approve and wish to join you!

Edit: Right after we hear how that PWM test went, Kasucodeちゃん。 :)

Last edited:

Anime is love. Anime is Life.

Anime? :p

Could you do this test at 60 Hz native 4k:
http://testufo.com/#test=blurtrail

You simply focus your eyes on the vertical line as it moves to see if you can see it "split" into individual lines. Would be easiest to tell with a low brightness on the TV. Not sure if 60 Hz or any of the TV's processing will affect it, but worth a try. Make sure to be in native 4K input, game mode (PC) and web browser synced at 60 Hz.

Solid line (line should blur but be a gradual shade) = no PWM, individual vertical lines inside the blur = PWM.

Encouraging people to use logic and research before buying a display which might make them suffer from health issues is definitely jealousy.

No being a smug ass because someone bought something they wanted is.

Anime? :p

Could you do this test at 60 Hz native 4k:
http://testufo.com/#test=blurtrail

You simply focus your eyes on the vertical line as it moves to see if you can see it "split" into individual lines. Would be easiest to tell with a low brightness on the TV. Not sure if 60 Hz or any of the TV's processing will affect it, but worth a try. Make sure to be in native 4K input, game mode (PC) and web browser synced at 60 Hz.

Solid line (line should blur but be a gradual shade) = no PWM, individual vertical lines inside the blur = PWM.

I cant get 4k at 60 native on my pc at the moment. I can do 1080p not sure if that makes a difference. my 290s are hdmi 1.4

One of my co-workers sold one of these to a guy last weekend, he bought it back because titanfall was giving him motion sickness (xbone, lol). He paid more and took home an 84UB980T.

btw he dropped 16k on the sammy (lol New Zealand pricing)
I think the larger the curved panel the better it looks, the 78hu9000 is stunning

I cant get 4k at 60 native on my pc at the moment. I can do 1080p not sure if that makes a difference. my 290s are hdmi 1.4

Oh crap for some reason I had it in my head you had 980's. You getting them to power this bad boy at 60 Hz?

This is super nice... And you watch anime off it which makes it even better.

Oh crap for some reason I had it in my head you had 980's. You getting them to power this bad boy at 60 Hz?

Yep I need to make 12 more posts so I can offer my water cooled 290s to someone here lol. Need to figure out what 980s to get being that I want to water cool them shortly after getting them.

This is super nice... And you watch anime off it which makes it even better.

Sub are super easy to read laying down 15 feet away when the tv is this big. it also removes the noise you get from some of the compression in the artwork and makes everything crisp and clear. Anime on this TV is the best. :D

One of my co-workers sold one of these to a guy last weekend, he bought it back because titanfall was giving him motion sickness (xbone, lol). He paid more and took home an 84UB980T.

btw he dropped 16k on the sammy (lol New Zealand pricing)
I think the larger the curved panel the better it looks, the 78hu9000 is stunning

He probably didn't turn on game mode which is a must. its not in an obvious place. its under general instead of picture in settings. I played destiny on ps4 for at least 7 hours in one sitting without a single problem. best console gaming experience.

Last edited:
Back