My new 1080 OC STRIX only spins at 0% or 100%

The Internal

Limp Gawd
So, my new STRIX is doing something immensely frustrating. After restarting my computer after setting the card to 100% fan spin in the ASUS Tweak 2 utility, I've been unable to have my card's fans spin at anything other than 0% or 100%. Clean reinstallation of the drivers (or different versions) has yet to solve the issue. Removing the Tweak 2 utility hasn't solved the issue. Reinstalling the Tweak 2 utility hasn't solved the issue. Adding or removing external fans to the 4 pin headers hasn't solved the issue. MSI afterburner hasn't solved the issue. Fan spin registers as 0% in both MSI afterburner and Tweak 2, regardless of if the fans are at 0% or 100%.
Previously, the fans were adjustable. I've had the card less than 8 hours :(

Help?

There are two things that come to mind:

One is to remove all software that can monitor and/or control fans. All of them. One could be conflicting and causing this issue.

The other being when you say clean installation, you used DDU to uninstall the drivers in safe mode? If not, try that.

Tried DDU. No dice. Going to the last resort of clean windows install. if that doesn't fix it, I'm thinking I'll have to RMA it. Only other thing I can think of is a vBIOS update, but I don't know how to do that and have had difficulty finding a good reference for how to do that.

Windows reinstall. If that doesn't do it then yeah a video BIOS might. I'd reach out to Asus tech support before you RMA though.

RMA time. Or, try to check the wiring from gpu board to fan, if you're adventurous. Been a couple pinched wire cases.

What BIOS version is on the card?

I seem to remember the early GTX 1080s having an issue with the fans when they were sent to reviewers. I can't remember if it was a BIOS update or driver update that solved it (or a combination of the two)...

An update couldn't hurt...

Sounds like a BIOS issue, so perhaps you can get it fixed without RMA. But good luck since you isolated the issue and its either BIOS update or RMA.

There have been a couple BIOS updates for the STRIX cards since release. The latest version has a 'D' at the end of the version string. Most retail cards ship with the 'A' or 'C' BIOS. Could be worth a shot. Updating the BIOS is pretty straightforward. Just make sure you follow the directions exactly.

D-revision BIOS for ASUS STRIX OC at TPU:
TechPowerUp

[Official] NVFlash with certificate checks bypassed for GTX 950/960/970/980/980Ti/Titan X (updated for Pascal)
Easy NVFlash Guide with Pictures for GTX 970/980

Check the fan wire if you can ... would be worlds easier than dealing with ASUS rma

I'd exhaust all options before doing an Asus RMA. I have this same card and I'm not having any issues with my card other than it's a bad overclocker.

If the card is only 2 days old, return/exchange with wherever you bought it.

Reactions: DF-1
like this
Problem with going back through the store is they probably don't have any available for exchange, but you could always contact them and find out, would be easier than RMA if possible.

If you can exchange it hopefully they got a zotac amp! Edition as that one has dead silent fans even at 100%. So if that one is stuck as well it won't bother you :)

Good luck

well... I'm a dummy. On removing the card for RMA, I noticed something a bit off. In the Node 202, there are two PCI-E risers for the GPU. One riser coming out of the mobo, then a riser at 90 degrees in which the GPU plugs in. With three points of possible failure versus the normal one, I decided to reassemble the whole thing since it looked like something may be off by about .5mm.
Sure enough, that was the issue. Derp.

Last edited:
Back