My name is Zac and I have a Mac-addiction problem [11"mba pics]

compslckr

[H]F Junkie
I just got an 11" Macbook Air to go with my 13" MBA and 13" MBP. Not pictures is a 13" white macbook. I will get some pics of that with the airs and pro at some point

166628_585070377536_42501654_33398308_5647155_n.jpg

180214_585070192906_42501654_33398301_6997779_n.jpg

180571_585069703886_42501654_33398283_8170112_n.jpg

167923_585069848596_42501654_33398289_7454818_n-1.jpg

Last edited:
I understand your problem. 27" i7 iMac, 11.6" Macbook Air, 15.6" Macbook Pro (Unibody), Dual 2GHz PowerMac G5, 23" Apple Cinema Display (Clear ADC), 20" Apple Cinema Display (Clear ADC). You know what they say... Once you go Mac, you never go back.

I do, however, have a gaming rig, but it doesn't get used much cause it runs so hot.

The Air is actually my wife's Christmas present, but she doesn't use it as much as her iPhone. She is seriously addicted.

I understand your problem. 27" i7 iMac, 11.6" Macbook Air, 15.6" Macbook Pro (Unibody), Dual 2GHz PowerMac G5, 23" Apple Cinema Display (Clear ADC), 20" Apple Cinema Display (Clear ADC). You know what they say... Once you go Mac, you never go back.

I do, however, have a gaming rig, but it doesn't get used much cause it runs so hot.
I think I am the opposite. I still use my gaming rig primarily. My MBP runs hot (80c+ while running games, really?) without manually increasing fan speed. Although I still like it.

The only game I have tried on the 13" air is CS:S and it ran nicely, but that fan is really annoying when it kicks in. To be honest I have no idea how they even fit a fan inside the air. The first time I heard it come on, i was like "omg wtf, there's bees everywhere!"

I mean, I like my macs, too. But isn't that super redundant? I understand maybe a desktop and a laptop, but 4 laptops? I have a 27" iMac and an 11" MBA btw

So what do you guys think about the 11" MBA? Is it worth the purchase price? I currently have a 13" MBP but it's a bit on the heavy side. I'm thinking of getting a non Apple laptop (AMD Brazos) or one of the new MBAs. I mainly use my MBP for work related purposes (VMWare and video chat).

I'll always be a PC gamer, but my laptop has to be a Mac. I just got a new MBP 15" i5 and am in love. The hi-res screen is amazing. That being said, what can you do with all those beautiful MacBooks?

I mean, I like my macs, too. But isn't that super redundant? I understand maybe a desktop and a laptop, but 4 laptops? I have a 27" iMac and an 11" MBA btw

I'm also curious to know why you bought both of the MBA's. I love the 13inch one and would buy it in a heart beat if i could justify the price.

You don't have a mac addiction. You have a problem with having too much money. Hey i accept paypal.... LOLz.

The 13" MBA is my personal laptop, the 11" MBA was purchased by my company for work, and the 13" MBP is my fiance's. The white one won't be mine for much longer.

My oldest daughter is going to NYU in the fall.
She wants a Mac laptop.
Suggestions?

I have nothing Apple.
The only thing my kids have are iPod touches.

She wants a Mac laptop.
Suggestions?

I have nothing Apple.
If she's going to be doing any work with graphics, video creation/editing and/or art oriented applications get the 15" MacBook Pro for its dedicated graphics chip. Otherwise, the 13" version should be good enough for standard college work.

You can never have enough laptops =D one for the couch.. one for the bedroom, one for on the go, one for the kitchen, one for each bathroom in the house.. XD

She wants a Mac laptop.
Suggestions?

I have nothing Apple.

I'll sort of disagree with what Mr. Wolf said. For the vast majority of students the 13" MBA or 13" MBP is going to be perfect for them.

Most students aren't doing anything but taking notes, writing papers/powerpoints/etc. And the 13" MBA/MBP would be fine.

In fact, I would go the MBA route myself, but the loosing the DVD drive really strikes a lot of people as crazy talk. Get an external drive. If she really can't fathom loosing the DVD drive, wait until the MBP refresh, because there almost certainly will be one between now and the start of the fall semester.

This is predicated on the "Not needed serious processor/graphics" power, which most people don't. Business Majors, science majors, etc don't need the processing power (mainly, there are rare exceptions). But 3 lbs and super-portable is something every student can use, and that's a MBA.

She wants a Mac laptop.
Suggestions?

Depends on her major. As previously mentioned, if she’s doing any sort of graphics work, whether with film or animation or 3D, then the 15’’ MacBook Pro is the minimum she’ll need. (The 17’’ is actually better, but a pain in the butt to lug around.)

If she’s not doing anything really hardware intensive—say, browsing the Internet, writing papers, etc—then a 13’’ MacBook, or even better, a 13’’ MacBook Air if you can afford it, are her best options.

There’s wiggle room even within those recommendations. It really depends on what she needs a computer for.

Thanks.
I forgot to mention, she's enrolled in the art school.
She has a penchant for film and theater production and dabbles in photograhpy, so I guess the 15" Macbook might be the deal.

I really appreciate the suggestions, and keep them coming. I know nothing about Apple stuff. Right now she uses a 17" Dell that is literally falling apart at the hinges from use. It still runs well but it hasn't held up to her use/abuse very well.:eek:

i think it's just over two years old at present.

Thanks.
She has a penchant for film and theater production and dabbles in photograhpy, so I guess the 15" Macbook might be the deal.

The 15’’ MacBook Pro is definitely your starting point. Take her down to an Apple Store or a Best Buy that has an Apple section and demo the laptops.

Thanks.

I really appreciate the suggestions, and keep them coming. I know nothing about Apple stuff. Right now she uses a 17" Dell that is literally falling apart at the hinges from use. It still runs well but it hasn't held up to her use/abuse very well.:eek:

i think it's just over two years old at present.

Then I would go with the 15" MBP, but I would wait a bit. There's a reasonably good chance that there will be a refresh, and quite possibly a big one, around April for the MBP's. Still gives her plenty of time before classes start.

Wow love the Airs, I love having a Mac laptop, they have the best build quality and is great for on-the-go. Definitely PC desktop at home, nothing beats eyefinity =D

For your daughter who is going to college, I would definetly wait until the Fall to make the purchase. Apple normally does promotions where you can get a free iPod Touch and printer right around the time school starts back up. Also, don't forget to take advantage of the student discount. It normally gets you $50 - 100 off depending on the machine.

A MBP refresh is probably coming as well. I would hold off a bit if you can, but if she needs it now, go for it :)

Wow that is quite a collection.. after selling my 15" MBP I am considering getting the 13" MBA .. keep hoping the refurb section will get a 13" with 4GB of ram

Nice collection! I've had a PC all my life and I think I'm going to get a MBP sometime this year as I want a laptop again. Thinking about getting the 17" MBP after the MBP refresh ;o Is the 17" MBP the only one that can do 1920 x 1200 resolution?

Nice collection! I've had a PC all my life and I think I'm going to get a MBP sometime this year as I want a laptop again. Thinking about getting the 17" MBP after the MBP refresh ;o Is the 17" MBP the only one that can do 1920 x 1200 resolution?

Yes the 17" is the only MacBook Pro with 1920x1200. The 15" MacBook Pro with the Hi-Res display is only 1680x1050.

I want a 15" Macbook Air so badly, and that picture only makes me want one more.

Same fast CPU and discreet GPU, but with a big screen, SSD storage, and minus the stupid optical drive. Ultimate Macbook model, can't wait. :)

love my MBA 13 only have 2gb of ram but its runs everything i need just fine, even play wow on it in OSX and its ok, not ultra by any means but it is playable at moderate settings

Welcome to the club! haha

I've had every 15" MBP since 1999 (PowerBooks back then) and currently love my Core i5 model. Also I've been using iMacs since they were released and currently have an i7 27" that I upgraded myself, from the i5 model. Also have countless iPods, iPhones, AirPort Extremes (two setup in the house now), 3 AppleTV's, and I'll be getting a 27" Cinema Display for my Gaming rig in the sig along with another GTX 580 for SLI goodness.

Yes the 17" is the only MacBook Pro with 1920x1200. The 15" MacBook Pro with the Hi-Res display is only 1680x1050.

My experience with Windows PC's is that ultra high resolutions on smaller/mid-size screens result in everything being a little tiny. Even after increasing the DPI to make text and other things larger, the results are sometimes quirky and ill-fitting. Do MAC's have this problem?

I love my 11.6" macbook air.. it has become my primary machine for general day to day usage..

When I want to play a game, I fire up my i7 rig with the 5870.. but for most everything else I do.. music, web surfing, chatting with buddies, etc. the air is perfect.

I have it connected to a 23" 1080p monitor in my room at my desk.

After I get some bills paid I think I'll get a 27" cinema display to go along with it.

I like my 11.6" air, but I got out of the habit of using it as a daily machine. The 1.6ghz CPU is slow for a lot of the stuff I do.

I want a 15" Macbook Air so badly, and that picture only makes me want one more.

Same fast CPU and discreet GPU, but with a big screen, SSD storage, and minus the stupid optical drive. Ultimate Macbook model, can't wait. :)
Now you're talkin'!!!! I'd gladly sell my current MBP for a 15" MBA. The only drawback would be the screen. It probably would be the same as the one on the 15" HR-AG. I doubt Apple would use the glass/glossy LCD on a 15" MBA.

Now you're talkin'!!!! I'd gladly sell my current MBP for a 15" MBA. The only drawback would be the screen. It probably would be the same as the one on the 15" HR-AG. I doubt Apple would use the glass/glossy LCD on a 15" MBA.

That works out for me. I have the HR-AG display on my MBP, hate glossy on laptops. ;)

Back