My MSI Z87-GD45 won't OC anymore?

Mr. Stryker

Supreme [H]ardness
A while ago I stopped overclocking because it appeared that my 4.6GHz OC was not performing at these speeds (getting smaller scores in benchmarks/games than with stock speeds :eek:) and just used the GENIE thingy that auto OC's to 4Ghz for me and it's done great so far. Now with me playing BF4 more, I wanted to OC it again to at least 4.4 or 4.5. My cooler is a H100i at 100% fan speed. My 290 is at 100% fan speed so it doesn't go over 59c in BF4 at 2560x1440. Yeah, I'm deaf so I always crank all the fans to 100% speed. :cool:

But my biggest concern is I'm unable to change the CPU ratio anymore... it used to let me do that, but it's locked and I've already turned off the GENIE feature, and did several reboots to make sure. It's still not letting me change the CPU ratio. I'm not sure if my board was nerfed in a way and require a RMA. I know I skimped on the board and should have spent more on a better one like the MPower. (I wanted the red theme to match with the red lights)

Try loading bios defaults from inside the bios. If that doesn't work then switch your computer off at the wall or back of psu and remove the bios battery. Leave it for a few minutes, put battery back in and switch on. You will need to load bios defaults again.
Also worth updating the bios to latest version.

*sighs* I had a feeling I forgot to mention something in my original post, I did update to 1.50 (latest BIOS from September) and that made no difference.

I'll try the battery thing, reminds me of the old days with clearing BIOS on my AMD K-6 system.

That is good to hear that it wasn't the board and was just that simple - sometimes the simplest things make you want to throw it across the room, of which I plead the 5th to if I have... Yeah sometimes with the BIOSes I have been aggravated on some MSI and other makes - that if you don't end your keyed in input it will void it ( ie typing 1.24 instead of 1.240 voids it back to auto) but its just one of those things you learn to live with lol.

Back