my monitor wont display video...

etegv

Limp Gawd
what I mean by that is i dont get anything on my monitor when i turn on my pc

this started like a week ago when I was playing a game and the screen just went blank. I could surf fine, but during games it would just black out. Then a few a days ago while I was online the screen just went blank. Every time I turned on the PC everything would load up, but nothing showed up on the monitor. I thought it was the vid card but Im still getting the same problems with this new one

need some help... what can I do? thanks

specs are

e8400
4gb RAM
asus p5e
windows vista

Last edited:
You have tried another video card, have you tried a different monitor? Have you uninstalled your video driver and re-installed an updated driver? What are your system specs?

Corrupt driver. Uninstall your display driver and use driver sweeper to clear it out. You might also need to remove your monitor INF (select the delete driver option) and re-install it.

Remember to double check if your DVI/displayport is properly plugged in for your monitor and videocard. Some people don't use the side screws for the DVI port and the DVI might become loose.

You have tried another video card, have you tried a different monitor? Have you uninstalled your video driver and re-installed an updated driver? What are your system specs?

i have to try a diff monitor which I dont have right now. I dont know how i would be able to install drivers when nothing comes on the screen. Ill update the op with specs but really its nothing special..

i googled this online and quite a few people have had this problem, but no one replied to their posts..

Corrupt driver. Uninstall your display driver and use driver sweeper to clear it out. You might also need to remove your monitor INF (select the delete driver option) and re-install it.

Remember to double check if your DVI/displayport is properly plugged in for your monitor and videocard. Some people don't use the side screws for the DVI port and the DVI might become loose.

how can I install them if nothing shows up on the screen? Im kind of new to this. I know windows loads up and all because of the music but the power button on the monitor constantly blinks and the monitor stays black the entire time

thanks for the replies, need to try anything i can

i have to try a diff monitor which I dont have right now. I dont know how i would be able to install drivers when nothing comes on the screen. Ill update the op with specs but really its nothing special..

i googled this online and quite a few people have had this problem, but no one replied to their posts..

Have you tried booting into safe mode? Try resetting the Bios by removing the cmos battery and see if that does anything.

how can I install them if nothing shows up on the screen? Im kind of new to this. I know windows loads up and all because of the music but the power button on the monitor constantly blinks and the monitor stays black the entire time

thanks for the replies, need to try anything i can

Ok do you have the boot menu when you restart your PC? (the boot menu is when it post your computer motherboard/ram/cpu information prior to loading the operating system).

If you're getting a boot menu when you start your PC. Did you try booting into "safe mode"?

Have you tried booting into safe mode? Try resetting the Bios by removing the cmos battery and see if that does anything.

cant boot into safe mode. Nothing shows up on my screen. I havent removed the CMOS yet, but im hoping i dont have to do the mobo stuff yet. But I will try that soon

Ok do you have the boot menu when you restart your PC? (the boot menu is when it post your computer motherboard/ram/cpu information prior to loading the operating system).

If you're getting a boot menu when you start your PC. Did you try booting into "safe mode"?

nothing comes up at all. Every time i turn it on the screen stays black the entire time (no info pops up). I removed the dvi cable from the vid card and the monitor said no signal and i got the same thing for the new monitor i just tested..

cant boot into safe mode. Nothing shows up on my screen. I havent removed the CMOS yet, but im hoping i dont have to do the mobo stuff yet. But I will try that soon

nothing comes up at all. Every time i turn it on the screen stays black the entire time (no info pops up). I removed the dvi cable from the vid card and the monitor said no signal and i got the same thing for the new monitor i just tested..

Is there an echo in here?......:D

Well, it sounds like you have a motherboard issue then. Could be the PCIE slot, try pulling the cmos and if that doesn't do anything then put your card in the other PCIE slot.

Did you try re-seating the PCI Express videocard? If that doesn't work, you might have to reset the CMOS like Dylskee suggested. Might have to do the pull the battery out and his the CMOS reset gig with the system power totally off with the powersupply power connector disconnected from the PC.

Is there an echo in here?......:D

Well, it sounds like you have a motherboard issue then. Could be the PCIE slot, try pulling the cmos and if that doesn't do anything then put your card in the other PCIE slot.

lol..

yea i tried the other pcie-slot and the same thing happened. Im thinking its a mobo issue as well and i will get one after ive tried everything. Every thing powers up and windows loads up fine, but just no video is getting through.

The CMOS switch is that little swtich that goes left and right, right? On my p5e theres a little switch next to the mobo heat sink that I fooled around with, and that got me nowhere..

really appreciate the help. Thanks guys

lol..

yea i tried the other pcie-slot and the same thing happened. Im thinking its a mobo issue as well and i will get one after ive tried everything. Every thing powers up and windows loads up fine, but just no video is getting through.

The CMOS switch is that little swtich that goes left and right, right? On my p5e theres a little switch next to the mobo heat sink that I fooled around with, and that got me nowhere..

really appreciate the help. Thanks guys

I'm not too familiar with that board but a quick google search doesn't show a cmos reset switch so I'm not sure what that switch is that you're talking about. Usually it's a button that you press not a switch that goes back and fourth. I would pull the cmos battery just to make sure. Do you hear any post beeps when you turn it on? How do you know windows is actually loading but you just don't have video?

I'm not too familiar with that board but a quick google search doesn't show a cmos reset switch so I'm not sure what that switch is that you're talking about. Usually it's a button that you press not a switch that goes back and fourth. I would pull the cmos battery just to make sure. Do you hear any post beeps when you turn it on? How do you know windows is actually loading but you just don't have video?

ok then maybe it wasnt the CMOS. When i moved it to the left the computer would not power on but now keeping it on the right allows me to turn it on

I know its loading because when I had my speakers plugged in all the usual windows music came on (was at the log in screen)

yea im about to pull the battery soon.

heres another thread where people wre having the same problem as me, so I know im not going crazy lol

http://en.kioskea.net/forum/affich-49552-computer-powers-up-but-nothing-on-screen

ok then maybe it wasnt the CMOS. When i moved it to the left the computer would not power on but now keeping it on the right allows me to turn it on

I know its loading because when I had my speakers plugged in all the usual windows music came on (was at the log in screen)

yea im about to pull the battery soon.

heres another thread where people wre having the same problem as me, so I know im not going crazy lol

http://en.kioskea.net/forum/affich-49552-computer-powers-up-but-nothing-on-screen

I know you're not crazy, I've been screwing around with computers for years and i've seen it all! If clearing the cmos doesn't work for you try booting to your windows disc. Or create an ultimate boot disc and try booting to that, great disc to have handy! http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/download.html

I know you're not crazy, I've been screwing around with computers for years and i've seen it all! If clearing the cmos doesn't work for you try booting to your windows disc. Or create an ultimate boot disc and try booting to that, great disc to have handy! http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/download.html

thank you dylskee, I will try that

how would I go about clearing the CMOS? I shut off the comp, took off the power plug to to computer, removed the battery and put it back in.. unfortunately, nothing happened.. what else can i do? this is really just frustrating me

DVI, VGA or HDMI connection?

Recently a dvi-vga connection went south for some reason. I had been using it on a monitor because the stupid nVidia control panel treated the monitor as a TV when using the HDMI cable (VGA and HDMI inputs only) and I was having problems finding the resolution settings - it kept saying 1080i was max res.

For some reason, when the monitor cable got unplugged, it simply would not work at all through the DVI-VGA pass thru when plugged back in. So on a lark, I plugged the DVI-HDMI cable back in, and voila, had a picture, though a shitty one. I dug through the driver some more, and finally found where to set it to 1080p and all was well. Not sure what caused the analog DSUB signal to go "dark", but it did.

BB

If you have a laptop plug the monitor in to it and test it.

To me it sounds like the monitor.

I had a monitor do the same thing a few years ago. It would go on and off randomly for a few days then it would not turn on at all after that but you can hear windows booting up.

Go get a monitor from some place that has a good return policy and it it works keep it if it don't return it.

Recently I had a my 3 1/2 year old samsung SyncMaster 225BW crap out on me.

When you disconnect the monitor while the computer is on, are you getting a "no signal detected" on the screen, and then when you plug it back in does the message go away? Does the power button on the montior flash while plugged in?

In my case it is (supposedly) some of the power supply capacitors have swelled and gone bad. I have yet to pull it apart and verify that, but there is no doubt it was the monitors fault.

I'm with everyone that's suggested monitor.

It's completely foolish to say it's a bad driver or loose video card. I've never heard of a video card that needed drivers to show anything on the screen, because you would never be able to install the drivers because you couldn't see a single thing, and if your card wasn't fully connected, your computer wouldn't POST whatsoever. Also, it's a POST/BIOS screen, not a "boot menu". A boot menu is where you can pick which OS or device you want to boot from.

Back