My monitor its SHAKING~!

Whenever the AC turns on or the washing machine starts up the picture from my monitor starts to shake. I imagine its b/c of some kind of interference but is there anything I can do? Maybe buy a monitor cable that is better shielded? Or is it the monitor itself that has the problem. BTW my monitor is a 19inch Samsung and was top of the line around 2 years ago so I doubt it has shielding problems...

put your monitor on a good apc or good surge protector to clean up the signal

Sounds a bit like you have some low voltage issues. Try pluging in to a different circuit if you can..or add a UPC which should help stablize things a bit.

That, or take your monitor off the top of the washing machine ;)

Luck

BillR

Surge protector with line conditioning or PSU with line conditioning for teh win.

Surge protector "line conditioning" and cheap UPS line conditioning (known as voltage regulator or line regulator) won't work... those help brown outs, but they don't clean up the power. What you need is the Smart UPS line, which is a bit more expensive than the cheaper ones, but it will clean your lines. These take power in, hold it in the batteries for a sec, then output it to your computer cleanly. The surge protectors and cheap UPS won't do that... what they do is cut off the spikes that can cause damages and brownouts, but it won't clean your line to help with the shaking.

I have a Sony GDM-FW900 monitor, and it's very susceptible to the jitters (my house/store has over 15 freezers/refridgerators, so i obviously have very dirty lines... but the Smart UPS cleared it right up - i went through a lot of shittier ones simply because people told me to get a UPS... NOT any UPS will do, you need the Smart UPS).

The sub-feeder in your house is too small, thus, the load is max. out. It should be a 25A sub-feeder, your home builder must have cut down to save money.

Get a APC UPS, if you are using a 21" or higher, get a Smart UPS, such as 1000VA, or 1400VA. As they are much faster in switching than those cheap UPS from APC.

moralpanic said:
I have a Sony GDM-FW900 monitor, and it's very susceptible to the jitters (my house/store has over 15 freezers/refridgerators, so i obviously have very dirty lines... QUOTE]

I use a dell hs1025 that has a sony trinitron 17"tube, it also seems very susceptible to this jittering. . . it got really bad at uni where there were so many rooms all using the same ring main- at times when everyone was in and using their TV's, computers, hifis etc my monitor would go mad, with a clearly perseptible wobble and some flickering. Now its at home, however, and usually the only other apliance thats using power on that circuit is the computer itself (due to each floor in my house having its own spur from the consumer unit and no one else being in most of the time) it gets nice clean power and the picture is perfect. SO a smart UPS sounds like it could be the way to go.

mexican jumping beans maybe>? just kidding, my old hp did that too, I could never figure it out, one day it started jumping so bad it let the smoke out ;) and pooped out. I am scared it will happen again to my new one, I feel your pain!

BillR said:
That, or take your monitor off the top of the washing machine ;)

I've got this problem with one of my computers. I didn't think of that (^above) solution though. :D

Ive read somewhere that plugging your monitor into a surge protector can cause this and other problems, (as it did with mine) so it said to plug into a wall outlet and it should be fixed... it worked for me

Back