My monitor flickers!!! Is it my 9800 pro?

bobsaget

Supreme [H]ardness
Right now I am running XP at 1280x1024 on a 17" peice-of-shit monitor (Starlogic, bought it at OfficeMax for 80 bucks...) Anyways, at ALL resolutions, I get a faint flickering in one corner of the screen. Then, once I minimize the window that I am currently in, and re-maximize it again... it is gone!!! Then in a short amound of time (not sure, maybe 5 minutes to an hour) it will come back again. Also, I have another faint (I mean faint, you have to look real closely) running down my monitor horizontaly...

Are these problems my monitor, or my video card???

BTW: I never notice this in games...

Thank you very much!

does the flickering change at all when you use a different refresh rate?

I only have one option... 60hertz...

hertz.JPG

60Hz refresh rate will probably give you headaches with long term use. It would also violate European (and probably US) display screen equipment guidelines for safe use in the workplace.

If you can afford it, get yourself a decent 19" monitor (I prefer CRT). It's the most important component on a PC in my opinion.

Go to the "display" tab, on that same screen and then go to the monitor button and see what hz your monitor is capable running.

tornadotsunamilife said:
i find the motherboard a bit more improtant

lol, motherboard? do you stare at your motherboard for countless hours a day? Can your motherboard cause you headaches by staring at it? What's the point of having an awesome computer and then buying a shitty monitor to display it on. I'd take a good monitor over a motherboard any day. What good is a motherboard if you get headaches everytime you use your computer. And yes i realize a mb is needed for the computer to actually work, but it's not a heath risk like a bad monitor.

I'd buy a new monitor personally. to the thread starter...you already answered your own question in your first post "17" peice-of-shit monitor"

PureBooYah said:
lol, motherboard? do you stare at your motherboard for countless hours a day? Can your motherboard cause you headaches by staring at it? What's the point of having an awesome computer and then buying a shitty monitor to display it on. I'd take a good monitor over a motherboard any day. What good is a motherboard if you get headaches everytime you use your computer. And yes i realize a mb is needed for the computer to actually work, but it's not a heath risk like a bad monitor.

I'd buy a new monitor personally. to the thread starter...you already answered your own question in your first post "17" peice-of-shit monitor"

100% totaly agree.

Back