my monitor finally died

3440x1440UW high refresh. Or waiting for the high refresh 4K monitors.

the general choices nowadays are:

1)Nothing smaller than 24" god forbid that. Also nothing larger than 34" let's not be crazy.
2)Ultrawides 21:9 are for coolest kids. 29" minimum. Sometimes even with high refresh rate. Best served curved.
3)4K monitors for serious "I swear I can see pixels on 1080p 24". It looks horrible" pc people.
4)The ultimate pc master race of 1440p 144hz terrible backlight bleed ips lottery... Swearing ips is best thing ever and 1440p is not only a transition phase.
5)Do not buy a monitor now! Wait for X and Y. Oled is coming, FALD is coming!
6)Gsync/Fast sync smooth kids.

I myself just week ago got 1080p 25" 240hz Gsync Tn monitor(AOC AG251FG). Just because 1080p is very fine for me. I still cannot see individual pixels and most content is mastered either for 1080p or for 4k nowadays. 1080p does nice 4k downsampling if needed.
And I choose TN because I dislike IPS glow and I am positively surprised as TN panels seem to come a long way and I am very pleased with my choice.
Oh and if You game - high hz and Gsync is must. I would even say that if You don't game, high refresh rate makes desktop use very nice.

I am loving my Asus PG278Q that I got on discount last year during black friday.
I doubted TN panels, but if the quality is high enough, aside from poor viewing angles (which is not an issue to begin with), the overall user experience is even better than cheap IPS/PLS panels.

IMO, There's no need to buy into G-sync or Free-sync for games, but if the monitor comes with ULMB, it is well worth the price premium.
ULMB is utterly fantastic. Don't ever doubt it.

sick unbiased reporting bro

PG279Q/XB271HU has been a great monitor for many of us.

Even though my monitor has ULMB I've never used it but I'd say G-Sync is better than 165hz. Even with games like CS:GO where I'm always >120fps, I feel G-Sync in modern AAA games is just as good of an experience. That won't be true for everyone.

Monitors are tough because local stores don't have much of the great stuff so it's hard to see if you're a 4k, widescreen, G-/freesync, TN, OLED, or 144hz kind of guy.

TBH of all of those latest tends/new technologies, I feel widescreen is far and away the biggest ripoff. It's just stupidly expensive for what can't be that hard to do.

I dream of the day when I can partake in these discussions. But I'm not complaining.

I love my computer.

I love my 21:9 34" 3440x1440 monitor.

IMG_1301.JPG

Are you handy with a soldering iron? Or know someone who is?

Ya might be able to save 'er, depending on your symptoms it might just be 3 resistors need replaced (which apparently is a common failure mode for your monitor)...

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=15647

Heck, even if you do want a new monitor, still try and fix the old one and use it as a secondary screen ;)

Thanks guys. I think I'll be sticking with 1440p. I'm running a gtx 970 and I'd like it to last me as long as possible before I need to upgrade. Even 1080 looks fine to me, I always take my glasses off when I'm gaming :p

I was wondering about tn vs ips. I've been on a TN panel all this time so I can certainly 'suffer' another.

I'm actually pretty good with a soldering iron, but I have a 6 month old baby now...and I work an awful shift schedule. Plus home renos are piling up.

Symptoms started years ago. When you turn it on the image appears momentarily and then screen goes black. In the past I'd turn it off then back on again and that would solve the problem. Needless to say I didn't care. Now it's just blank screen. Nothing. Remember, this is an old non led panel.

The good news is I'm in no rush. The wife hasn't used her desktop in ages so I stole her monitor. 22" 1080p BenQ. Maybe I'll get it fixed one of these days. Like when she complains enough :p

Ya might be able to save 'er, depending on your symptoms it might just be 3 resistors need replaced (which apparently is a common failure mode for your monitor)...

Heck, even if you do want a new monitor, still try and fix the old one and use it as a secondary screen ;)

Just read that thread. That's really good info, thanks! One resistor is an easy fix if that's the case. You sir are awesome.

Cool and all but is it really worth fixing a 10 year old monitor. Time to just upgrade. There been a lot of leaps in monitor tech in the past 10 years. A cheapo monitor should be far better then what he had.

the general choices nowadays are:

1)Nothing smaller than 24" god forbid that. Also nothing larger than 34" let's not be crazy.
2)Ultrawides 21:9 are for coolest kids. 29" minimum. Sometimes even with high refresh rate. Best served curved.
3)4K monitors for serious "I swear I can see pixels on 1080p 24". It looks horrible" pc people.
4)The ultimate pc master race of 1440p 144hz terrible backlight bleed ips lottery... Swearing ips is best thing ever and 1440p is not only a transition phase.
5)Do not buy a monitor now! Wait for X and Y. Oled is coming, FALD is coming!
6)Gsync/Fast sync smooth kids.

I myself just week ago got 1080p 25" 240hz Gsync Tn monitor(AOC AG251FG). Just because 1080p is very fine for me. I still cannot see individual pixels and most content is mastered either for 1080p or for 4k nowadays. 1080p does nice 4k downsampling if needed.
And I choose TN because I dislike IPS glow and I am positively surprised as TN panels seem to come a long way and I am very pleased with my choice.
Oh and if You game - high hz and Gsync is must. I would even say that if You don't game, high refresh rate makes desktop use very nice.
Lol good post would read again

My eyes are on a new ultra-wide 3440x1440p monitor. Suppose to have some high Hz models out 4Q and Q1 so looking for them to arrive. I'd love to see a 40"- 50" 4k monitor that does at least 120Hz. low input lag, and HDR but I'm getting really tired of waiting. Supposedly some coming 2018 but I been hearing that 'next year' rumor for a few years now. I had a LG 34UM95-P monitor but it died on me unfortunately. Playing on a 2560x1080 until something good comes along. I have to say for a 1080p resolution the 2560x1080 is pretty nice. I like it better than a 1920x1080 res. Just got a 1080Ti last week so waiting to mate it up to something 1440p again.

quick update. i pulled the 245BW apart because....well because i can. that and i like tinkering with things. just as xrror has suggested, it was one of the 3 resistors that had failed. should be 68 ohms on each, two were fine and one was reading in the millions. this is a very easy job, think i might just order up some new resistors and replace them all while i'm there. these are known failure parts, might as well. i can probably solder these in half an hour.

i'm tempted to upgrade, but there really isn't much point for me. i've always been happy with the image quality of this monitor. if i do upgrade i'm going to want at least 1440p. that means that i'll be gaming in a higher resolution and i'll want to replace my 970 sooner. with a new baby in the home, i don't get much time with my PC anymore...and there's not many games out there that i want to play. just seems like an unnecessary expense that doesn't do much for me.

i'll let you guys know if this works or if i have to bust out the fire extinguisher. if it does, here's to another 10 years with this beast.

Another common failure point in monitors are the capacitors, which eventually wear out. And gradually worsening problems are often the result of a capacitor slowly degrading further away from spec. While you're replacing those resistors, I'd also replace the capacitors. Shouldn't cost more than $5 - 10 for most monitors, I think.

Just read that thread. That's really good info, thanks!
Glad it was useful. 16:10 monitors these days aren't exactly cheap or plentiful either - hopefully yours will live again!

Delicieuxz makes a great point that you may want to check the capacitors in there - after 10 years even the best ones start to pack it in - especially inside a hot running monitor. I know on my Dells it's a freaking oven in there - when the power board goes out on those it's epic, you get the electric squeal/fart *POP* -crazy image/blackout- and it smells horrid. Also if you were in the zone doing something at the time, you need a new pair of pants cause what's that buzz? SURPRISE BooM HOLY F**** *

I have 3 Dell 2407's that I keep limping along with blown caps and dead power boards. The 60Hz max is kinda lame nowadays, but until I can afford a decent 144Hz monitor + a video card that can actually drive that a steady avg 160fps I'm just kinda sitting on it.

Plus yea, I totally get the whole "kid/family/life" chops into gaming time especially, then you kinda feel awkward making that spend on equipment you can't really enjoy without feeling like a clock is always ticking.

Sorry I ramble - let us know how it goes on your repair.

Glad it was useful. 16:10 monitors these days aren't exactly cheap or plentiful either - hopefully yours will live again!

Delicieuxz makes a great point that you may want to check the capacitors in there - after 10 years even the best ones start to pack it in - especially inside a hot running monitor. I know on my Dells it's a freaking oven in there - when the power board goes out on those it's epic, you get the electric squeal/fart *POP* -crazy image/blackout- and it smells horrid. Also if you were in the zone doing something at the time, you need a new pair of pants cause what's that buzz? SURPRISE BooM HOLY F**** *

I have 3 Dell 2407's that I keep limping along with blown caps and dead power boards. The 60Hz max is kinda lame nowadays, but until I can afford a decent 144Hz monitor + a video card that can actually drive that a steady avg 160fps I'm just kinda sitting on it.

Plus yea, I totally get the whole "kid/family/life" chops into gaming time especially, then you kinda feel awkward making that spend on equipment you can't really enjoy without feeling like a clock is always ticking.

Reading this on my secondary monitor which is 1680 x 1050 :D It's pretty old, but still going along fine. The 16:10 aspect results in a vertical resolution is nearly the same as 1080 so it's got plenty of real estate for reading things and lots of other kinds of work.

As of now I'm just waiting for the new resistors to arrive from Amazon. They may not be top quality, but honestly I shouldn't expect this thing to go forever. I know I won't have time to replace caps right now so that will be done as necessary.

Got a new soldering iron too, so I'm ready to go!

New resistors and caps are a few cents or dollars, and take only a few minutes to solder all of them into place. I would do them all at the same time.

New resistors and caps are a few cents or dollars, and take only a few minutes to solder all of them into place. I would do them all at the same time.
THRESHIN, let us know what the part number is on the power board in your monitor is, just out of curiosity - at least so I can find a sane picture of one online.

I have a few drinks in me at the moment, so excuse the excessive ramble....

First so the rest doesn't come out negative - judging from the info I've seen, and your enthusiasm with getting a new iron for this - you've got this, that monitor is gonna live. Hell yea.

I wanted to say that first, so I don't sound like i'm jumping on the wagon... I'd replace the capacitors while you're in there like Delicieuxz keeps imploring. BUT - hey if that samsung is easy to get into, then sure get the resistors in and let her ride. Hopefully if/when the caps go, it doesn't take out anything logic wise in there - I DON'T mean that as a scare quote either, like my dells, shit blew up in there and hey, the logic still works. It just depends on the failure mode of the monitor.

second, the resistor thing must be a quirk of that monitor. I've never heard of such a consistent failure mode with.. resistors of all things. At least it's easy, and doesn't nuke a microprocessor in there you can't fix. I wonder why the resistors die? The badcaps forum speculates that the hot glue they used is acidic/corrosive which is really feaking weird, but... that'd be a good reason for a strange failure mode eh? answered my own question there lol

My experience (not just my Dells), in 90% of cases when a monitor goes out, it's the inverter caps packing it in - IF your monitor/laptop is Cathode backlight. 5% is power board... which I only say cause my Dells. The last 5% (120% for f*cking TVs) is for things like TCON delamination or the logic board. Okay logic board I've only had 2 and that's some crazy symptoms edge case. TCON is... if you know what that is, push the soldering iron into your eye sockets now lol

I dunno, for sure do the resistors and get her running again. Snap a pic of the the other boards while you're in there. Do the caps sometime.... or assume if the monitor goes out again in a few year(s) it'll probably be the caps. Don't throw 'er away though!

THRESHIN, let us know what the part number is on the power board in your monitor is, just out of curiosity - at least so I can find a sane picture of one online.

I have a few drinks in me at the moment, so excuse the excessive ramble....

First so the rest doesn't come out negative - judging from the info I've seen, and your enthusiasm with getting a new iron for this - you've got this, that monitor is gonna live. Hell yea.

I wanted to say that first, so I don't sound like i'm jumping on the wagon... I'd replace the capacitors while you're in there like Delicieuxz keeps imploring. BUT - hey if that samsung is easy to get into, then sure get the resistors in and let her ride. Hopefully if/when the caps go, it doesn't take out anything logic wise in there - I DON'T mean that as a scare quote either, like my dells, shit blew up in there and hey, the logic still works. It just depends on the failure mode of the monitor.

second, the resistor thing must be a quirk of that monitor. I've never heard of such a consistent failure mode with.. resistors of all things. At least it's easy, and doesn't nuke a microprocessor in there you can't fix. I wonder why the resistors die? The badcaps forum speculates that the hot glue they used is acidic/corrosive which is really feaking weird, but... that'd be a good reason for a strange failure mode eh? answered my own question there lol

My experience (not just my Dells), in 90% of cases when a monitor goes out, it's the inverter caps packing it in - IF your monitor/laptop is Cathode backlight. 5% is power board... which I only say cause my Dells. The last 5% (120% for f*cking TVs) is for things like TCON delamination or the logic board. Okay logic board I've only had 2 and that's some crazy symptoms edge case. TCON is... if you know what that is, push the soldering iron into your eye sockets now lol

I dunno, for sure do the resistors and get her running again. Snap a pic of the the other boards while you're in there. Do the caps sometime.... or assume if the monitor goes out again in a few year(s) it'll probably be the caps. Don't throw 'er away though!

well good news/bad news time...

first is the good. the very good! the monitor is up and running again with some simple resistor replacement! i'm using it right now to type this ;) have to say, the image quality is better than the 22" benq LED backlit i was using as a backup. it had some slight ghosting which annoyed me.

anyhow, i'm very happy. thanks for all your help with this - and everyone else too!

at this time i chose not to replace the caps. i may at some point and yes i'm quite aware that i'm taking a risk of catastrophic failure due to the age of this thing. at the same time, its kinda hard to care with how much i've gotten out of it already. plus i simply didn't have the time for that in depth of a job right now. like i said, maybe at a later time i'll reconsider.

and yeah....pics.....ummm sorry. my phone was going through a factory reset while i did the work and i was too lazy to get my canon out. plus i don't have a macro lens yet. you're welcome to abuse me for this, i would!

here's hoping for another 10 years

Back