My monitor doesn't pass through digital audio to its coax output

Kayk

Gawd
My ATI 5770 has HDMI out to my monitor, and the monitor can pass through a coax connection to my DAC, which then play through my headphones.

I have windows set to output all to the ATI HDMI sound channel and the sound only plays through the monitor speakers, and doesn't pass through the coax to my DAC like it should. One google result said that there was an option in the BIOS to enable s/pdif sound through HDMI, but the only option semi-related to what I read didn't fix anything.

Any suggestions?

what "monitor"... Iv'e seen a toslink s/pdif jacks on some TV's to output Dolby Digital from OTA signals to a receiver, but I haven't seen a Monitor that worked like a hdmi switch/ media converter to take bitstream and output PCM from a coax s/pdif output.

Meh, well I just ordered a cable to go coax directly to my desktop, so I don't know if that means I skip out on the ATI sound drivers. Are the ATI drivers better for gaming than say, onboard realtek?

I use an Asus VH242H, and basically from everything I've tried the coax output on the back of the monitor doesn't even work.

ATI and Nvidia use realtek chips on their card for digital audio out. I highly doubt there is a quality difference between it and most motherboard onboard realteks that do digital out.

Also its likely to be sending HDMI audio and not something Toslink compatible.

Back