My MOM got all wet!!! Now I need a MOP

MassiveOverkill

[H]ard|Gawd
I wanted to get a Gulftown and Fermi as an upgrade to my already overpowered i7 rig, so I sold MOM to reinvest. As fate would have it, Fry's had its 25th anniversary sale and I figued instead of throwing tons of money at a CPU and GPU that are too expensive, suck up too much juice, and trip my 800VA UPS every time I game, I'd take advantage of the Phenom II X6 and MSI 890GX deal for $225 as an interim rig until the quad core Westermere's come out or the 980 Gulftowns come down more (yes more than the $800 deal they could be had at).

I've been Nvidia for quite awhile now, but the reduced power consumption and price of the 5850 made me switch sides. Best Buy had the Corsair H50 for 60 bucks, so why not throw that in too. So I present to you MOM v2 aka MOP (Massive Overkill's Phenom)

That's a 38x120mm fan mated to a 120mm shroud (gutted fan), pushing through a Corsair H50 rad. Air is being sucked in through the back and exhausting into the case..........I'll reverse it if it lowers temps. Notice that the body of the Pump/CPU water clock prevent a push/pull config as there's barely clearance for the existing setup.

9dbf8a8c.jpg

Top down shot and rigged hard drive until I can get a new hot-swap bay

b12b51c2.jpg

Those of you who own the Lan Gear MOM, this is how you route your power supply cable to clear both your video card and hard drive bay (which I'm not using.............I almost got it to fit, but needed 90 degree SATA power stalks to avoid hitting my 5850........even if I did have 90 degree cables, it's still too close for my liking.

e71cc55e.jpg

Flash on

b76a636c.jpg

3/4 View

122e1079.jpg

Asus 5850Direct CU

45692846.jpg

I removed rivets on the 5-1/4" bay and hard drive 90mm fan mount so that they can be removed and re-fastened with screws/nuts:

53df78ca.jpg

4531466b.jpg

62c37b8f.jpg

6b7b4623.jpg

Last edited:
This wins the "Thread title most likely to receive moderator attention" contest for today. :p

Nice work man!

It is sucking fresh air from the outside (back), pushing through the radiator and exhausting into the case. I have the 90mm fan exhausting out.

Once I get the cover on, if it doesn't perform like I want, I'll try reversing the fan. I have to transfer my data drive over to my WD SATA III drive, before I cna do that though.

very nice job . the case to me still struggles with not enough ways to route cables neatly . and always in the way of video card or something else

Jen

It is sucking fresh air from the outside (back), pushing through the radiator and exhausting into the case. I have the 90mm fan exhausting out.

Yeah, I read it wrong, then ninja edited my post. :p

very nice job . the case to me still struggles with not enough ways to route cables neatly . and always in the way of video card or something else

Jen

Thanks Jen............you're right though..........I'm surprise I got all the cables to fit without using the short-cable kit.

Well I reversed the 38x120mm fan so it's pulling air from inside the case, through the radiator and exhausting out. Highest temp running LinX has hit 53C so far compared to push setup getting fresh air outside the caes loading at 51C (push setup outside the case loaded at 48C).

I think the initial fan direction was blowing too much hot air on my ram modules. I couldn't even make one pass of LinX. I also reversed the 90mm hard drive fan so it's blowing cool air on the ram modules instead of exhausting as it was previously.

I gained 2C in CPU temps but reduced case and RAM temps.

Well I reversed the 38x120mm fan so it's pulling air from inside the case, through the radiator and exhausting out. Highest temp running LinX has hit 53C so far compared to push setup getting fresh air outside the caes loading at 51C (push setup outside the case loaded at 48C).

I think the initial fan direction was blowing too much hot air on my ram modules. I couldn't even make one pass of LinX. I also reversed the 90mm hard drive fan so it's blowing cool air on the ram modules instead of exhausting as it was previously.

I gained 2C in CPU temps but reduced case and RAM temps.

sounds like best result , i have had to do similar tests in past to determine what is best

Jen

Your load temps look quite acceptable. Without the shroud configuration, you could have placed a 25mm in a pull mode to assist cooling; it would also blow over RAM.

Needs moar pics of the case from a distance. I want to see what you see every time you walk into the room where it sits. Nice work dude.

Your load temps look quite acceptable. Without the shroud configuration, you could have placed a 25mm in a pull mode to assist cooling; it would also blow over RAM.

I'll have to experiment a little more, but right now I don't have any decent 120x25mm fans

Hey MassiveOverkill, did that AC right angle plug come with the case itself?

Yep, all Lan Gear MOM's come with that cable

Needs moar pics of the case from a distance. I want to see what you see every time you walk into the room where it sits. Nice work dude.

Thanks. I have some outside shots of MOM v1

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1508581

Bad news is that the MSI motherboard died. I have a spare H55 that I may throw in her in the meantime. I'm glad I got this netbook.

Build quality is improved from the initial batch. My USB ports clear the case, front panel matches the cover better (still a little gap but it doesn't bother me much). The anodizing is very good as well as the interior paint. No chipping that I can see.

awesome. trying to justify the close too $300 price I'll be paying for this beauty to be shipped to canada :p

MOM's replacement for the H50 that went to MILF is a Cogage Arrow. Thing cools about 7C better than H50 and is nearly silent, even at load.

The 38mm fan shown went to MILF and 2x120 2000 RPM fans took its place

9c9ac65b.jpg

-----------------------------------

013e3e22.jpg

7ca9b561.jpg

5ec6819c.jpg

d82fae53.jpg

very nice man but I think push/pull beats pull with shroud any day of the week. so it would probably be worth it to drop the shroud and put another fan on there. or keep the shroud where it is and mount the fan in pull, that is also a better configuration

Back