My mom did a Dell Demension 4100 mod!

DR_K13

2[H]4U
I got my Mom into modding. Her first Mod was a modest one. Nothing fancy, but I am proud of her. ( she is 55 and got into computers a few years ago ) First she pulled an old junk CD_ROM out of the front, got out the hacksaw and cut some plastic then added a hard-drive cooler with no hard drive behind it to increase air flow into the case. ( needs to be cleaned up a bit ) Next she rounded the upper half of a few cables behind the cooler. Next she took out the old dell case fan and shroud set-up and installed a new HSF combo ( she lapped the heatsink too! ) and installed an Antec blue LED case fan. She also added a fan to her ATI rage 128 pro vidcard !!!! :D The last thing she did was add Northbridge/Southbridge heatsinks.
Next phase, she wants to go a custom window on the side and etch or apply a picture of a Pug dog ( she loves pugs ) on it. :D

here are the pics of the old

dellold1.jpg

dellold2.jpg

dellold3.jpg

now the new pics ( go easy, she will read this , and I will come to your house if you mess with mom!!!)

we need to close those gaps
Picture%20010.jpg

Picture%20001.jpg

Picture%20002.jpg

Picture%20003.jpg

Picture%20012.jpg

I am proud of her. It runs very cool now :D

wipeout833 said:
Not bad for a first time mod, now she needs some rounded cables.

yup cable management is up next, she will do it at the same time as the window mod.

wipeout833 said:
yeah, actually that's realllly good for a first time modder...howabout some UV reactive rounded cables and some interior lighting now? :D

I got the same dell from my neighbor.. To bad it was weathered when i got it :(

I have that same Dell, my parents bought it for me like, 4 years ago for college.

Now I have Linux running on it and use it as a server. :D

Katiemarie said:
I have that same Dell, my parents bought it for me like, 4 years ago for college.

Now I have Linux running on it and use it as a server. :D

I am not a big fan of Dells, but both my Mom and Dad have those 4100 , and everyone I run into that has one, they still run very well.

DR_K13 said:
I am not a big fan of Dells, but both my Mom and Dad have those 4100 , and everyone I run into that has one, they still run very well.

I've never had a problem with it. The thing I really like about it is that it's REALLY quiet, I can barely tell it's even on. Of course, that's probably because I haven't modded it yet. :p

That's pretty cool.

Back when I was building my first 'puter, I could not for the life of me get the stupid heatsink to attach to the motherboard. Mom showed me how. ::hugs::

(Disclaimer: I'm 14, I live at home, I rely on mom for all my money and food.)

That's so cool!

I got my dad a new ABIT board and P4 chip for X-Mas last year, My dad then went out and had me help him pick out a cool looking case. I was so proud. I'll see if I can get pictures of it up next time I'm off that direction.

And I've got a whole work lab here with them 4100 style cases. I think it's time for me to start having at them.

I really hope she trys for some lighting that case has ALOT to work with.

What's funny is, in like, 15 years or so, my kids are gonna be saying stuff like this about me.

One of my proudest parental moments will be when I teach my daughter to solder. ;)

my mom loves to !!!!!! and tubgirl people at work, gets them all the time!

(I kid)

My mom thinks case modding is the coolest, though shes too egotistical to get into it herself.

edit: I didnt realize our goat related 'shock site' was banned.

She is cleaning up the wires as I type this , well she is, :D , Will post pics soon

ok here is the clean up.

cleaned up the front a bit

dellnewnew%20001.jpg

cleaned up the inside wires, used loom and re-routed everything

dellnewnew%20002.jpg

here is the new HSF combo ( compusa special, got it in the deal bin :LOL: )
nothing special about it, except she lapped it.

dellnewnew%20003.jpg

here is the fan she added to her rage 128 pro. the fan is off an old northbridge cooler I had

dellnewnew%20004.jpg

next is some lighting and her custom window, maybe some paint. ( she likes the color it is now :confused: )

zmgraphix said:
ur mom rocks :)
I was just gonna say that. :D

DR_K13, you should get your mom to join [H]. She sounds very cool. :cool:

Lethal said:
I was just gonna say that. :D

DR_K13, you should get your mom to join [H]. She sounds very cool. :cool:

thanks, she is getting good. My dad has the same rig ( work deal ) and he is scared to open the case to clean it. I had to wait for him to fall asleep one day and
open it up. I had a huge dust beard, to bad I didnt get a pic of it. :rolleyes:

Katiemarie said:
One of my proudest parental moments will be when I teach my daughter to solder. ;)
is there a [H]ardness of the month award or something we can give this girl??? that is awesome lol!!!:D

i hope you don't mind but that quote must be in my sig!

Also to mom... nice work keep it up!!! once you take her to a LAN and she kicks ass i will bow down!!

Katiemarie said:
What's funny is, in like, 15 years or so, my kids are gonna be saying stuff like this about me.

thats [H]ardcore

wipeout833 said:
you know i found my case to be hotter with rounded. So i switched back to flat. I dunno maybe i need some voodoo magic to get it to work. :) :D

Nice work on that old dell case. :)

Hey, i dont think anyone here is predijuce on age....

[H] to the mom!

sweet. I cut a window in one of those cases once. Kinda sucked cuase you have that metal sheet right behind the panel. But if she can window that case, she can window any, and that will be [H]

thats awesome dude, post a pic of your mom lets see if shes a milf :D

just kidding...you should think about tossin in a faster processor and better graphics card. i had a 440bx running a celeron [email protected] and a geforce fx 5600u

Katiemarie said:
What's funny is, in like, 15 years or so, my kids are gonna be saying stuff like this about me. . ;)

This just made me realize exactly how old I am (32) and how things are changing for each generation. How many Teenagers can say that their mom/dad mods computers? Not too many I suspect. My son is only 8 months old so it will be a few years before he knows what modding is.

Dude, I think that rocks. Tell her great job and keep them coming. Pretty soon, she'll be posting here herself!!!!!!

Awesome!!!!!

Your mom is a gawd. No joke man, that's probably the coolest thing I've seen in a while... a modding mom. Props to her on her first mod, and might I suggest bondo'ing the front panel if you are going to paint it. As in fill the gap with bondo... it'll be a big improvement on the look.

If your mom ran for President, I would definetly vote for her.

Katiemarie said:

Your kids are gonna be lucky. My dad's an EE and he wouldn't teach me to solder (But then again he spends his time making coax cables, and db9 cables (Solder type), and rj45 cables, and * cables) :p

haha that's nice. Took me a few years to teach my mum that it was a tower and not a hard drive. That and it was her desktop wallpaper not her screensaver :rolleyes:

Back