My Modern Warfare 2/ Multiplayer: Meh w/ a side of ?!

undertheradar

[H]ard|Gawd
I started playing multiplayer the day MW2 was released. Currently, Im level 32. I wanted to at least play a bit before passing judgement, as well as unlock the hardcore levels.

First, the game itself looks great. The graphics seem crisper, improved over WaW even. The action and gameplay are pretty cool, with a few nagging problems though.

The guns are meh. It seems like they picked mostly a different group of assault rifles. Sure, they kept the M16, M4, and AK47, but then they cycled out the rest for some reason. The G3 was a favorite of mine... GONE. The G36 IS a popular rifle IRL with many nations (other than US), ALSO GONE, as well as the M14 and MP44. Also gone are the Skorpion machine pistol/SMG, and I think the AK-74 might be gone as well (I forget of the top of my head on that one). The pistols are mostly the same old blah blah, although they have added the G18 to the machine pistols. So WHY cant they keep the old, AND add in the new weapons?!?!? Thats what I dont get. Sure, now we get the Aug, but we also get the FN FAL (why?) which seems to be a semi replacement for the G3. Why cant we select firing modes either? The FN FAL is ONLY a semi, the FAMAS is only a 3-round burst. WTF?!?! Oh, and for those who dont like noob toobs, good luck. You will be bitchin' and moanin' a storm in this one because not only do you have launcher add on's, but now you have stand along grenade launchers as well as several other explosive projectiles. I suppose they just wanted the 'noob toob bitches' to shut up and deal with it. OTOH, tubes seem alot harder to use. Foliage and random object placement seems to make aiming a grenade ALOT more challenging than in earlier games. Your sky is alot more cluttered making a clear arc much harder to come by, and so getting a grenade to where you want it is alot harder than ever. Well played I would say. So tubes are abundant, but good luck using them. And WTF??? Why is the final rifle to unlock an AK47? Why is the Barrett the sniper rifle you start out with?!?! What happened to all the other cool sniper rifles (only 4 this time)? My opinion, BRING BACK ALL THE WEAPONS. I love my G3. And let us be able to select fire modes finally! The more I play the game though, the more it feels like Vegas 2 though as well. Now there are more civilian spots, and more weapon attachments (as well as 'bling' perk to put 2 attachments on one weapon... cool). They even have silencers for LMG's....!!!! WTF?!?!? IF there was a silencer for a LMG, it would be HUGE (and fairly so), Im talking like a 2-liter bottle at the end of the muzzle. IRL, these things just dont exist... silencers often wear out after a dozen rounds or so. If there is ONE weapon that you CANT put a silencer on, it should be a RPD. Where did the M60 go anyways? It seems like there are some obvious weapon choices that they left out as well, not just new or old. They put some oddball weapons in, drop the G36, and then they only have 4 sniper rifles, one of which I have never heard of being in military use... the Walther WA2000. Then why not a HK PSG1? They added a chey-tac (kudos), but then only the M1014 then? What gives? The Aug has been added (a very popular NATO rifle), but in its LMG variant, not rifle or SMG version. In short, the weapons picked for this game are messed up. Its like they just had a random lotto or something.

When I started playing, I felt that the spawn system had been fixed since WaW. But, we were all only level 15 or 20, now weren't we? As time went on and people were uinlocking B2 bombers and harrier strikes... well... more and more people were getting 'spawn bombed'. So I dont know about this... I was getting bombed a couple times at my spawn. They have added these 'when you get pwned alot' perks, but they do little for you when someone has a C130 and you spawn in their clear view.

On a side note... NO MORE PUNKBUSTER!!! Thats a cool thing IMO. It meant activision didnt really take interest in making their code more secure, instead just leaving it up to an outside party that would wreck the game for many for no good reason at all, and have a totally half-assed method of enforcing security anyways (screen caps by other players). I know this doesn't solve the hacker problem (havent tried aiming radar yet myself... wonder if it even would work), but despite loosing PB, it IS a step in the right direction.

The biggest WTF?!?! is the match making system. YOU DONT PICK A SERVER, THEY PICK ONE FOR YOU. Pings arent shown, just how many bars you have. Sometimes the server they match you up on gets choppy/laggy, and sometimes its alright, but still, you cant tell if a good ping to them means you have a ping of 15, or a ping of 40. It seems clans are being pushed out with this game... no server lists, just pick a game style, and it puts you in a new group right off the bat. This might not be a big deal now, but just wait. As the novelty of this game wears off, and people get fed up and leave, how easy will it be to keep making matches like this? I cant imagine IW not including server lists in some future patch. They might hold off on it, but after 6 months or so, I cant see the current system working all that well. If nothing else, I think it kills the long term playability of the game for many. You cant just log on and go to the server where your clan buddies are. You cant 'RUN' a server like that 24/7. What, are they looking to take out the server providers like gameservers.com as well? Whats going on here? This will be the ultimate undoing of the game as far as long-term playability goes.

ahh please break up your paragraphs more, wall of text in the middle hurts to read lol

I am sure they will sell guns as DLC for $3.00 ea

^^^^
Qft.
This is it exactly. Why do you think they left out the most popular weapons from cod4? Same with the sp campaign. 4 hour campaign? Seriously? No worries they will sell you guys the guns later and give you the sp missions that were cut from the game at launch so they can sell em to you in a month. All good enjoy.

The guns are meh. It seems like they picked mostly a different group of assault rifles. Sure, they kept the M16, M4, and AK47, but then they cycled out the rest for some reason. The G3 was a favorite of mine... GONE. The G36 IS a popular rifle IRL with many nations (other than US), ALSO GONE, as well as the M14 and MP44. Also gone are the Skorpion machine pistol/SMG, and I think the AK-74 might be gone as well (I forget of the top of my head on that one). The pistols are mostly the same old blah blah, although they have added the G18 to the machine pistols. So WHY cant they keep the old, AND add in the new weapons?!?!? Thats what I dont get. Sure, now we get the Aug, but we also get the FN FAL (why?) which seems to be a semi replacement for the G3.

Really the only gun that you mention that was removed that couldn't have been removed feasibly was the G36 (which has reliability problems), since it was replaced the G3. Even then the G3 is used more by non-NATO countries than NATO. The FAL was the predominant 7.62x51 rifle under NATO standard until they switched to the 5.56x54, and is very similar to the G3 and was more extensively used. The M14 which wasn't that successful under original deployment and is in very limited use as a sniper weapon as a M21. Why would you even consider an MP44? But still why not add more guns and just keep what you already had.:confused:

I am sure they will sell guns as DLC for $3.00 ea

^^^^
Qft.
This is it exactly. Why do you think they left out the most popular weapons from cod4? Same with the sp campaign. 4 hour campaign? Seriously? No worries they will sell you guys the guns later and give you the sp missions that were cut from the game at launch so they can sell em to you in a month. All good enjoy.

As if the extra $10 isn't already a screw you enough (for PC gamers at least.) I guaran-damn-tee this is going to happen.

We are not allowed to contribute to this anymore. Here is a list at fpsbannana that the community did for the last game. RIP assvision/iw

http://www.fpsbanana.com/skincats/2212?mn=1_body&order=id&sort=asc

Really the only gun that you mention that was removed that couldn't have been removed feasibly was the G36 (which has reliability problems), since it was replaced the G3. Even then the G3 is used more by non-NATO countries than NATO. The FAL was the predominant 7.62x51 rifle under NATO standard until they switched to the 5.56x54, and is very similar to the G3 and was more extensively used. The M14 which wasn't that successful under original deployment and is in very limited use as a sniper weapon as a M21. Why would you even consider an MP44? But still why not add more guns and just keep what you already had.:confused:

STG.44 is in there, just for kicks.

The weapon choice is wierd, no matter what, so...

^^^^
Qft.

I'll be surprise if they did NOT do these things

Seems like a popular trend these days, release half of the game now and keep the rest as DLC

WHAT!? When did this happen!? Why was I not informed!? :D

Since day one. This game reminds me more of Vegas 2 all the time, only the only option is the 'auto match'. Hell, there are some gameplay things I am noticing that would justify adding the R6 Vegas 2 mechanics of a 'duck behind cover' button.

Oh, and did I mention that there are already hacks out for MW2?

I have been playing hardcore, as this is what I used to play the most in 4 and WaW. I think they fudged something though... it seems waaaaay too easy to aim, and waaay to easy to kill. Even in hardcore w/ the previous, it would take a couple shots at least to kill. Now, its an easy one shot, and it could be an arm or leg to get even. It also seems like they might have 'dumbed down' the aiming geometry/programming. Its VERY EASY to have your first shot or two land... like the hit boxes are larger or something. I can understand ramping up the 'ease of killing' but only if the aiming is that much harder... or dumbing down the 'ease of killing' with the less complex aiming system... but BOTH?

Of course, this might just be a symptom of the server system that doesnt show you an actual number for the ping. Who knows what 4 bars really means? 100 or 10? Not to mention with the way the servers work, the lag of the 'temp' server might be involved. So I might just be new to playing on servers where I dont know the ping... and Im really at 50 or something while someone else who always seems to get the drop on me happens to have a ping of 10... we JUST DONT KNOW.

IMO, the changes to multiplayer are 90% Fail. The only good part is that PB is gone (I know not all will agree on that, but I think PB is a scam and a poor excuse). The game itself has potential, but they need to add some major weapons updates. I dont know that they left out the 'most popular' weapons... The AK47 is still in there, and the G3 was just a favorite of some like me who can 'fan' the trigger button fast enough to appreciate the G3's awesome power and accuracy. Did ANYONE really like the G36 that much? Still, I would like to see the 'lost weapons' come back. The 'random lotto' they used to pick the current ones is just weird. I know the virtues and history of weapons like the FN FAL, but I just dont see why NOW they would put it in. The really bad ones are the LMG's and the Sniper Rifles though... they are all sorts of jacked up.

Played the game for a few over at a buddies and dreamed what real MP would be like. I'm sorry, I'm too good for a shitty MP experience. It would have been pretty good with just a bit more effort.

Oh well, I'll spend my $50.00 on something else. No love lost, though hopefully bankruptcy is in your future.

After getting to level 40, I take back what I said about multiplayer... its not just 'meh w/ a side of WTF?!?!', it has turned into full blown "THIS GAME SUCKS ASS" being screamed at the computer as I want to chuck my mouse at something. For me, I can log into the Chicago servers and never have to play with a ping over 30, most of the time being 10-15. Sure, this is part of my advantage, and why I might get a little hacked off when playing at a higher ping, but IF I KNOW IT I can and do adjust my play. So part of the frustration is just not knowing what your ping is, and the other part is how the 'server' is really just one of the players hosting over their connection (IW does the 'matching', then migrates the host to what it deems the most suitable to pick from). The problem is that there may not be a good choice, so everyone suffers. The other problem is that 'four green bars' has meant everything up to pings in the 60's for me (which sucks). Then, since the game is being 'served' by one of the hosts, and based on my play experience so far>>> While the game and graphics itself seem very pretty, something tells me that they dumbed down the physics/hitbox/geometry calculations to reduce the information that gets bounced back and forth, and rather than go for high ping, low bandwidth connections, each connection has to meet some minimum bandwidth (a miminum amount of info per second just to run the game), so rather than bounce back and forth with low latency, the packets have been increased.

Bottom line: without dedicated servers, the game can be smooth for you one second, then be a laggy POS the next. You can go from getting the drop on people, to getting the drop on people and they turn around and shoot you anyways... after you squeezed off 3 rounds in their back but somehow they still killed you anyways. You know the kind of crap Im talking about... the 'no way, he must be hacking, but really now, thats not as likely as the interface just being crap'. So as a result, kills are VERY random. You can put alot of skill, sneaking around, etc... into your playstyle... make yourself invisible to radar, thermo, and heartbeat sensors, and shoot at someone across the map that is facing away from you one second, but somehow, as soon as you pop just the top of your head out, the guy kills you with just a couple bullets in what seems to be a spinning shapshot from the hip on his end. Of course, who knows, maybe there are hackers running amok at the moment (since no more PB and 12 hours is all it took for the hacker programmers to have it up and going). I have seen a few guys running around at level 70 w/ 10 levels of prestige (on the 3rd day... which is friggin impossible), and I have not seen any 'unlocker' programs yet (except that german one that has no instructions and I for one cant figure out).

Then, there is the constant migration from host to host should one drop, or in between matches, IW's system decides to slam your group in with another to fill out the game (what if you only want to play 3v3?). On saturday, I was bounced around in the 'between matches' time through about 12 servers w/o any control until I got one that just ended in complete 'migration failure'... and this is better??!?!!!?

I plan on just levelling up for now and getting it over with, but I might get too aggrivated doing just that. Multiplayer is a serious flaming pile of crap. I WOULD NOT BUY THIS GAME until the dedicated server problem is patched. Otherwise, its a gaping vajayjay with maggots. Dont take my word for it, there are people bitching left and right on the servers because they are experiencing the same thing. People open fire on someone and often end up getting killed instead due to some interface lag problem. I have had enemies 'pop up' on me from out of the blue in a 20' open area on the map that weren't there just a second ago, and Im dead with a knife in my ass as a result.

I know, I know, you can flame me for this because its all my opinion, but I am a vet CoD4 and WaW player, and my reaction times are in the sub 10ms range usually, so I notice. I put the game on a fresh installation of XP pro, and even flipped over to the 22" CRT just to be sure it wasnt on my end. I went back and played some CoD4 then too just to be sure my reactions at the time were up to par... I often score a 2:1 kill/death ratio, sometimes 3:1 on most Chicago servers. On WaW, not so good... the spawn generator is worst IMO... too easy to get spawned into a pack of dogs or a bomb... so its more like 1.5:1 for a K/D ratio. On MW2... I consider it a good thing if I break even. Lots of people are getting spawn killed... sometimes by snipers camping... but more often by being spawned in an open area right under a harrier or chopper strike. Yesterday I was spawned into the arc of a sentry gun... that should tell you something.

Single player might be fun, but Multi is just a waste of time. That dedicated server patch better come quick, or a bunch of people are going to be mailing their disks back to IW in a protective wrapping of poop.

Ive been watching the gameplay on hardcore vs. regular as well since I last noted. The regular game is slightly more hardcore... a single sniper shot in the head or torso will kill. Usually 2 shots with a rifle. In the past I have always preferred the hardore gameplay because it really cut out the bunny hoppers, dolphin divers, and break dancing... but the new hardcore also deters you from even looking out windows (esp with the lag/interface problems). Now hardcore is almost more than reality... one SMG bullet in the right spot is a kill. The gameplay isnt frantic, its just scary to poke your head out. And when YOU see someone aiming at you, they can barely have the top of their scalp poking out and they shoot you. WTF?!? Their eyes are behind a wall... what, is there a periscope option I dont know about?!?! Bottom line, dont even bother with hardcore, even if you have the game and just want to level for a bit... you wont. Its insane. On normal mode, I will still get 10-15 kills per match, sometimes 20. On hardcore, its not hard to end up with a 5 kill death streak and have a hard time breaking 10 kills... so you do the math.

Last edited:
I enjoy the multiplayer maps a lot but you're right about the lag. I always watch the kill cam to see what I did wrong or who killed me. I noticed that a lot of times when watching the replay my character would not shoot even though I had squeezed off a few rounds before dying.

Or it shows you got shot at some point 5-10 feet before you thought you already were ducking behind something (like what your monitor says).

Back