My MOD made the cover of CPU!!

I know this is my first post, but I never thought it would happen.
After more than a thousand hours, I finally made it.
cover.jpg

I am hoping more people will get into 'scratch' modding after seeing my mod.
I know it is more difficult, but it is well worth it.
193.jpg

CPU mag normally keeps a strict 'recognizable pc' stance. I believe that the 'trashcan' mod and mine are the only 'out of the box' mods that have made it to the cover.

I am hoping to show Chris Trumble (Editor in Chief) that some of us are interested in the 'wookie' mods as well as the standard box mods.

I also have a free downloadable video on my site showing me airbrushing
it in black light. Click on this link and click on the MAD MOD MEDIA link on the left.

http://www.absolutextremes.com/skin_default/cpu.html

One small step for MODS, one giant leap for MOD kind :D

I edited your link there to go straight to the page. Understand that we don't do advertising or business plugs here.

That aside, great job.

CPU finally emailed me a week ago about the batman case (I think my original email I sent them was from june of this year) and after I said it was in other magazines, they said no. Then, after asking for pics of the digg case, told me it wasn't front page material. Hmpf.

Qtip42 said:
I edited your link there to go straight to the page. Understand that we don't do advertising or business plugs here.

That aside, great job.

CPU finally emailed me a week ago about the batman case (I think my original email I sent them was from june of this year) and after I said it was in other magazines, they said no. Then, after asking for pics of the digg case, told me it wasn't front page material. Hmpf.

yeah i saw it on PCMAG, that was very good work.

SAWEEET!

If I had the tools and workshop space I would love to make my own scratch built case. I have all kinds of ideas, but apartment living is not really ideal for computer modding!

Thanks Qtip42,
I don't take outside work anymore, too much of a hassle.
All corporate work these days :(
I will help Modders with cut vinyl and airbrush tips, but that is all.
I just use my homepage, because I have other 'how to' videos
and such on it. Anyone else here airbrush at all?

I don't airbrush but I could always use someone closer than florida :D Whereabouts are you?

I'm in Denver. Florida sounds warmer than here right now. :D
Anyone else tried for the cover of a mag?
It is hard. Tooooo many hours :rolleyes:

hey i from denver too, currently in fort collins attending CSU. If its not too much to ask maybe we could get together or talk about some mods.

Sure,
I have a mod I am working on that has 1100+ hours into it and will require another
1000 hours to finish. Hope to have it ready for the release of Hulk 2 (the movie)
I wish I could tell everybody about it, but it will be worth the wait for the rest of you :D

What kinds of mods are you into?

So far my modding experience is limited and have primarily dealt with mods that aid in cooling rather than appearance wise. I am looking to learn and you impressed me greatly with your work. I would love some tips and to maybe work or a few ideas of mine with you.

Cool,

Cooling is cool, but I hear the new Kentsfield chips due out Q1 of 07' barley need a
fan on their heatsink. How cool is that? (Literally)

I like to get PCs out of the box. I am tired of the box. Set mobo's free!
What mod ideas do you have?

deathstarchris said:
Cool,

Cooling is cool, but I hear the new Kentsfield chips due out Q1 of 07' barley need a
fan on their heatsink. How cool is that? (Literally)

I like to get PCs out of the box. I am tired of the box. Set mobo's free!
What mod ideas do you have?

I have several ideas but the hard part isnt to think of them, its the planning and execution of them that I have trouble with. Sometimes its hard to conceptualize what materials i will need and the fact that i live in an apartment makes modding hard.

The only limitations you have, are the ones you impose on your self.
Don't let logistics get in the way of your ideas.
Experiment.
Email me some ideas and I will help with what I can.
DSC
[email protected]

deathstarchris said:
Anyone else here airbrush at all?

Nice job bro!
Looks good!
I am teaching myself airbrushing right now. I have two Paasche single action and one Badger dual action, 2 air brush pumps and a load of paints!

I have 2 mods to get knocked out... then I can focus on practice, practice, practice!
;)

Awesome Tech-Daddy.
I love the Paasche VL double action.
Learned everything with that brush.
Now a days I am always using Iwata HPC
or Paasche AB turbo.
All the flippin' detailed work :eek:
What kind of paints you spit'n?

Sprayin some right now!
I will post a pic in a little bit.
I use all kinds of paints though.
Two part epoxy on glass to 5 color chameleon color changin' stuff.
My lungs are techni-color :D

Just received my issue yesterday in the mail and I have to say congratulations. That is an awesome mod. I actually saw it and went straight to the article because I thought it looked so good.

öööööö :eek::eek::eek: thats one amazing mod. that thing has to one of the coolest and the most innovative mods that i have ever seen....... still cant stop from drooling :cool:

Solarfall said:
thats one amazing mod. that thing has to one of the coolest and the most innovative mods that i have ever seen....... still cant stop from drooling :cool:
Thanks Solarfall,

I hope others find it as inspiration for other 'scratch' mods.
Go as far out there as you can. At least you will respect yourself for trying.
The first prototype ate itself, so I didn't think it would work at all.
Keep trying :D

deathstarchris said:
Thanks Solarfall,

I hope others find it as inspiration for other 'scratch' mods.
Go as far out there as you can. At least you will respect yourself for trying.
The first prototype ate itself, so I didn't think it would work at all.
Keep trying :D

Congrats, I suppose you will be framing a mag issue and putting it above your toilet so you can see it daily :p :D

Yea I'm working on a from-scratch mod myself now... it's my first 'real' mod and will hopefully be finished with it this week! It's turning out lots better than I anticipated too! I agree, normal PC cases are so boring, functional yes, but boring to look at. I already have plans for the next mod I'm going to build, but if I do what I have in my mind, it will take forever :rolleyes:

amazing build !
congrats deathstarchris !

inspired me to do a scratch build myself as soon as i finish my current project.

My first time in this part of the forum...

Read the magazines... did not have the slightest clue that the modders were part of the [H].... Holy crap, excellent on both this and the batman mod. I stared and read them and was like, wow/cool/neat. Now I find it's the [H]'ers that did this... and here I thought I was going to find kiddies with flashing glo-lights and obscene blinky things...

I'm blown away, excellent. :eek:

Back