My Microsoft Wireless Entertainment Desktop 7000 review

VoodooChi|d

[H]ard|Gawd
I know this just came out so there aren't many reviews out there. Although I cannot compare it to the DiNovo (sp?) I'll do my best to give a thorough review of the product. I had a coupon for an online retailer and they were the cheapest retailer for the product so overall I got it for a decent amount under the MSRP of $150

What's Inside The Box?
(1) Microsoft Wireless Entertainment Keyboard 7000
(1) Microsoft Wireless Laser Mouse 8000
(1) Microsoft Mini USB Bluetooth Transceiver
(1) Recharging Dock for Mouse
(4) Standard AA Energizer Batteries
(1) Rechargeable 2000mAh AA Energizer Battery

Overall Appearance/First Thoughts
The box is very flashy box which I guess is supposed to help you justify making the $130-150 purchase when you see it in the store. The box is also hard to open and get everything out. After figuring out how to open it I was very impressed with the look of the product. Very sleek, sexy, and everything I expected/was hoping for. The fit and finish was also superb.

7000-2.jpg

The Keyboard
The keyboard is really the main feature of this mouse & keyboard set. It is the first keyboard designed specifically for Windows Vista and only works in XP MCE, Vista Premium and Vista Ultimate. Basically if your copy of Windows has Media Center it will work. There are quite a few nice/new features of the keyboard and a few drawbacks as well. The keyboard is laid out in a semi-curved shape, similar to the ergonomic keyboards but there is no key "break" between them and it isn't as curved as an ergonomic keyboard as well. It is very thin and designed to be used in your lap although I have used it just fine on a keyboard tray on my desk. There are no legs to make the keyboard slope but this wasn't a problem for me. The keyboard is not as wide as a standard keyboard with number pad but the extra keys on the side make it wider than a standard mini-keyboard. One feature I really enjoyed that surprised me is the darker gray area at the bottom of the keyboard. It is a rubberized plastic which although doesn't substitute a wrist pad if you use one does make it more comfortable to use and I thought was a nice touch. The keys are similar to a laptop keyboard but I found it easier to type on than my laptop keyboard. I'm not sure what makes it this way but it was an observation I paid attention to. What really makes this keyboard special is the connectivity with Media Center and Vista it has. There is a key to bring up the "gadgets" to the front of your desktop, a key to start Media Center, a key to start the magnification tool, a key to make a call in Windows Live, both volume and channel keys for Media Center. Play/Pause, Record, Next Track and Last Track keys are also included. The "Windows" key has been moved to the bottom middle and slightly recessed to prevent accidentally hitting it which is a nice feature. Another feature of the keyboard is an on-keyboard touchpad for mouse-like control. The layout of the touchpad and right and left mouse keys is nice but the touchpad would be better if it were slightly bigger. Also, the default sensitivity on the touchpad is very low so combined with its small size it takes a lot to move the cursor around. This can easily be changed in the keyboard settings. I believe the DiNovo has an up and down scroll feature on its touchpad which would be a nice feature to have on the 7000. Another interesting feature of the keyboard are the Function Keys. They aren't keys at all but rather touch sensitive. Not really useful in any way besides to save space and look cool but it doesn't hinder performance any either. One negative to the keyboard is the fact that unlike the included mouse it isn't rechargeable. MS claims 9 months battery life so it isn't that big of a deal but it would be nice. Overall I think the keyboard is excellent both as a Media Center "remote" and as a standard keyboard. If I needed to use the number pad which is obviously lacking that might hold me back but I don't. The included "Vista" features are very useful and it looks and performs amazing.

7000-3.jpg

The Mouse
Since I believe the mouse has been out a while and isn't anything too special I'll keep this short.

Good:
Wireless Bluetooth
Rechargeable
Comfortable
Accurate
Attractive

Bad:
Somewhat off-center weight might bother some people
It's also not a true gaming mouse but I have no problem using it as such
Recharging base would be better if it were USB. Trying to find a free outlet near the computer is hard.

Overall: Excellent mouse and it matches the keyboard very well. My only real gripe is the recharging base.

7000-1.jpg

Final Thoughts
While the keyboard and mouse combo may not be for everyone it is an excellent product. If its one-of-a-kind features meet your needs you owe it yourself to get it. It is worth every penny in this case. It is extremely attractive and easy to use and wouldn't look out of place in a state-of-the-art media room. The included bluetooth transceiver is also a very useful tool by itself.

My "score": 9.5/10

Nice write up. I've been looking to purchase the MS 8000 desktop (which is about $250) but I have yet to see any retailers or websites that have it for sale. I'm getting really tired of waiting though especially since the Logitech setup I have now is showing it's age.

Nice write up. I've been looking to purchase the MS 8000 desktop (which is about $250) but I have yet to see any retailers or websites that have it for sale. I'm getting really tired of waiting though especially since the Logitech setup I have now is showing it's age.

Yeah I believe there have been some delays in its production. It looks incredible with some of the extra features but I'm not sure it's worth an extra $100.

According to the following website, the WED 8000 has been delayed till September:

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/peripher...-keyboard-pushed-back-to-september-242329.php

How reliable is this site/source? Has it really been delayed till September? The reason why I'm asking is because many sites still have this for Pre-order such as macmall.com, onsale.con bestbuy.com etc. They expect to have them for the 19th of March.

Does anyone have any info?

I bought this combo (7000) a couple of days ago too, it's very nice, at first I bought a cheapo no-name mini wireless keyboard but the range was unacceptable, the bluetooth functionality of this combo is great, no problems setting up at all. the keyboard is solid but I'd like to compare it to the dinovo edge but it costs too much.

Basically my experience with the Edge is the 5 seconds I saw it and checked how it felt at Fry's. From what little I can compare I would give the Edge the edge (hehe) in looks although the 7000 looks great but judging by the buttons and stuff on the Edge I think the 7000 is more useful and functional.

Does anyones WED 7000 Keyboard have a CAPS LOCK INDICATOR LIIGHT? I have seen picturers which show the keyboard to have the indicator lights in the top right corner, however mines does not seem to have em.

Please let me know if yours has the lights so that I can get mine exchanged.

Thanks in advance

Mine does not have a Caps Lock indication light on the keyboard. I did notice that in one of the pre-production pictures. It might be an 8000-only feature now or something.

VoodooChild: Thanks for getting back to me as I was going to return the keyboard. I am very disappointed as the Packaging also shows the keyboard with the indicators. Microsoft are deceiving customers and some form of action should be taken against them.

They keyboard is NOT visible in the packaging so you would go by the picture on it. The light indicators were the selling points for me. It was the reason why I opted for the WED 7000 over the Logitech Edge.

Some form of action should be taken, AS THIS IS DECEPTION AND FRAUD!

Dude, are you serious? Its fraud that they don't include an... indicator light?

Jeezus, grow up. Did daddy hit you as a child?

VoodooChild: Thanks for getting back to me as I was going to return the keyboard. I am very disappointed as the Packaging also shows the keyboard with the indicators. Microsoft are deceiving customers and some form of action should be taken against them.

They keyboard is NOT visible in the packaging so you would go by the picture on it. The light indicators were the selling points for me. It was the reason why I opted for the WED 7000 over the Logitech Edge.

Some form of action should be taken, AS THIS IS DECEPTION AND FRAUD!
You should take your revenge. How dare they do that to you of all people. If they only knew you like we do they wouldn't have done that. Please good sir do what needs to be done. In the name of everything that is holy and decent, get over your self. Hahahah:p Back on topic. Nice review btw. Whats the range on the keyboard. Would it be good for an htpc, that could be used about 12 feet from computer and tv?

It's Bluetooth and I believe the advertised range is 30 feet. I've used it in my bed ~10 feet from the computer just fine.

It's pretty much meant for a HTPC.

Was just having a laugh guys, I would've liked the indicators but its not that much of a deal. Expected more of a reaction though :)

I picked this up today for my new HTPC, as the old MCE keyboard and thumbstick was a pain. Unfortunately it PALES in comparision to the install problems that this thing causes Vista. It got as far as asking for the bluetooth dongle, and then Vista asks for drivers and then it looks at the CD, looks at the drive and eventually comes to the conclusion that you don't have the drivers, even though the CD is in the drive. I even downloaded the drivers from MS. What's even funnier when it asks if you want it to look for help, it says you should contact the manufacturer for assistance.

On the MS Support page the fix they have is to remove registry keys, which when I try to do that it says I can't and I'm the only login/administrator.

So time for fresh install of Vista and try again. Also check out customer review on Newegg, guy lost everything when he tried to install it.

Back