My Lenovo S10-2 won't boot after a 2GB RAM upgrade...

[Tripod]MajorPayne

Supreme [H]ardness
Hey guys, I have a new Lenovo S10-2 (love it, by the way!)

As most people do, I thought I'd upgrade the RAM to 2GB to get a little more versatility from the machine. Bought a G-Skill 2GB PC2-6400 (DDR2-533) Sodimm and went to install it.

Install is really easy, but once I got the new module seated and tried to boot, I got the power-on, the fan running, and the HDD light on for about 4 seconds, and then nothing. Black screen.

Put the OEM 1GB module back in and it boots right up.

So, I'm getting no POST at all, so there's no way to even tell if the motherboard sees the RAM, and I'm not getting any system beeps (idk if the S10-2 even gives them, to be honest), so it's hard to know if the RAM module is bad or if the computer just doesn't like the RAM.

So, do I have a dead memory module (that would suck...), or do I need to flash the BIOS or something?

Anyone else dealt with this?

Yea, you got some bad memory. RMA it, and get either a refund or a replacement module.

Recently bought a Lenovo G550 and wanted to use 4gb instaed of the 3gb arrangement. Got some DDR3 GSkill and slapped it in. Got the same result as you did. Opened it back up and took out the Ram and reinstalled it and it has worked ever since. Try doing that...

[Tripod]MajorPayne;1035150583 said:
Hey guys, I have a new Lenovo S10-2 (love it, by the way!)

As most people do, I thought I'd upgrade the RAM to 2GB to get a little more versatility from the machine. Bought a G-Skill 2GB PC2-6400 (DDR2-533) Sodimm and went to install it.

Install is really easy, but once I got the new module seated and tried to boot, I got the power-on, the fan running, and the HDD light on for about 4 seconds, and then nothing. Black screen.

Put the OEM 1GB module back in and it boots right up.

So, I'm getting no POST at all, so there's no way to even tell if the motherboard sees the RAM, and I'm not getting any system beeps (idk if the S10-2 even gives them, to be honest), so it's hard to know if the RAM module is bad or if the computer just doesn't like the RAM.

So, do I have a dead memory module (that would suck...), or do I need to flash the BIOS or something?

Anyone else dealt with this?

I actually had a similar problem on my netbook (also a Lenovo S10-2) just last week.

This may seem like a stupid question, but are you sure the stick is completely in? I ask because that was what was wrong with my installation (total facepalm moment, I know :p).

Otherwise, probably bad stick.

If you can, boot up Memtest 86+ and give it a scan. Memtest is a live CD that you boot off of. Try that. If you can't wait RMA it.

Back