My latest "Computer Case Creation!"

eclypse

2[H]4U
Many years ago (damn cant remember exactly, but its was when the voodoo 2 graphics cards were out) i had a strange idea looking at my large Kenwood tall air cleaner to put the computer inside and it would cool the whole computer perfectly with its dual massive squirel cage fans at the top pumpin out insane CFMs. Worked perfectly as well. Even had a glass front window. I thought it was sweet but everyone thought i was crazy and it was ugly. The part that sucks is that i dont even have a pic of it anymore :( Though i told everyone that it was a prototype, and that one day i'd build it from the ground up and it will be the perfect All Air cooling + perfect cooling for water cooling as well.

Well many years later and crappy stock cooling cases later i decided i cant take anymore and i need to build it!!

So i looked all over the internet for ideas on what to build it out of since i live in a condo and i dont have access to the right tools and even if i did i could'nt build it here.. Finally i seen a custom case built out of Lubic. Now in the past i thought no way could i build it out of this stuff with the cost involved but once you think about the fact that you can reuse it to fit your needs so its futrue proof i jumped on it!

Bought up 2 combo kits and 1 airplane kit of Lubic.. I thought hell, with all the parts i'll have i should have no problem building whatever i wanted no matter how big!

Well to make a very long story short.. In the end it took me 4 months to finish this case! I could not believe how challenging it would be to use lubic. Worked on my spare time.. Usually 2-3 days a week solid and maybe a few late nights. This case took all my free time. Everything about it was a pain! Its even hard to think back.. feeling all that fustraition over again hehe.

Oh and i could'nt tell you the exact end cost but just the case alone has to be over a $1000 easy! Took many trips to lowes and it was like a hundred everytime from tools to plexy down to screws.

The idea of the case is simple.. Suck in air from the bottom front and back and out the top. Along the way it cools the hard drives in the front goes up threw the 2 massive triple fan rads cooling the water cooling and up over the motherboard cooling that and the graphics cards and eventually out the top 16" fan. I wanted just one quiet Large fan cooling everything. Thats how i had it till near the end when i finally got the whole thing togeather and turned on the fan and noticed that the fan was'nt getting enough air and working too hard for it.. So i noticed if i kept the back top door open it would take some stress of the fan and it was still getting great pressure threw the rads.. So i made a screen on the back door. Then i finally broke down and though, well lets put 6 120/38mm 120CFM fans blowing up under the rads and i bet i'll get what i'm after. Once i did that i got major pressure and damn did it cool the system and the top fan could finally breath.

Insert one cheesy air flow diagram pic please! lol

DSC04504b.jpg

Simple.. Air comes in from the bottom front and back threw the hard drives and up threw the 2 massive triple fan rads and up over the motherboard and out the top fan.

DSC04501a.jpg

The case has plexy glass walls all around and the top is made out of thin panel wood. I could'nt just do plexy walls cause its been done so many times so i made my life hell and did the black painted metal mesh in a sandwich between 2 layers of plexy so its encased. That way it will be easy to clean and i dont have to try and get dust of all the cracks.. That would be suicide!

DSC04502.jpg

Heres another shot.. The doors and the front drive bay are from my previous Mountin Mods UFO case.. I could not believe that the walls from the UFO case fitted the door frame so perfectly, so i had to use them hehe. The front drive bay actually pulls out and screws in just like on the UFO case..Air tight seal all around ofcourse. Only the best if your gona build it right the first time ;)

Heres a shot of the inside showing the pull out motherboard assembly.. I should of got a close of pic of it but a little late now with the whole system installed. Basicly used the few left over lubic peices i had and one motherboard tray. The motherboard on another pleyglass tray just slides right on in the lubic groves and i use another small peice of lubic that i cut as a locking key that just screws in from the back holding it in tight.

DSC04505a.jpg

Heres a shot showing the 2 pumps in one loop.. Actually theres another 2 on the other side.. 2 per water loop.. Overkill you bet! I went with a rezless setup using a striaght loop with the 2 danger den fill ports. First time user with a straight loop. Totally love it! No more rez! :) Acutally dual pumps per loop is toally unnessisairy with this setup as the water lines are so short.. I dont notice any gains whatsoever with both on so i have to redue the water lines sometime soon and take 2 pumps out.

DSC04506a.jpg

Another shot showing the fan power buttons on the top left. It goes from off to low,med and high. I like to keep it at Med. All she needs. Oh the power and reset buttons on the top right are both off my mountain mods UFO case :)

DSC04507a.jpg

Heres a shot of the back.. Here you can see the crappy screen door i put in to act like a buffer for the fan since it was'nt getting enough air.. Stupid idea but i had to do something to save the project.. And starting over is no option after spending 4 months building this case. The sliding door idea was the quickest and best idea i had to both give me room to get in there to fill the water lines and hook up the system wires. You just slide the door down and tighten the screws and with the air seal gasket it totally seals around the wires coming out the back.

DSC04508a.jpg

DSC04513a.jpg

Heres a pic of the fillport area. I made sure to get a great seal around the top area just encase i overfill it and it spills over. I heard Danger Dens MCT-5 Non-Conductive Solution is some super stinky stuff and a mess to clean up.. I take no chances! hehe

DSC04511a.jpg

Heres a shot i took while filling the system.. Again.. took no chances and used a barb connected to a tube.. Seemed to work much better then what i was plaining on using, a turkey baster.

Oh.. The fan shroud. I had to come up with something great to use that i could take apart or move out of the way so i could fill the water lines.. I quickly came up with a great idea to use a floor mat used for working out or a kid play mat. It connected together like a puzzle peices so i could just pull it apart where i needed at the bottom.. Works like a charm i tell ya!

DSC04527a.jpg

Heres another shot showing how i fill the lines.. The funnel just hooks on the door and stays nicely! Could'nt ask for more. No spills of drop filling the system. ;)

DSC04526a.jpg

Ah... Forgot a quick shot of the motherboard with the 7800GTX SLI per installed with water lines. Finally i get smart and go back to the trusty metal screw clamps insted of weak zip ties on the cards.. Man i could'nt tell you how many times in the past i had leaks on the card lines.. You figure sooner or later i get smart and get rid of it.. Well it was a good time cause i didnt feel like cleaning up any leak in this case! But i was well prepaired with this build just encase of one. Love those massive heatsinks on the memory! Massive air cooling across those cards finally with this case!

DSC04522.jpg

Now finally to the 4 hard drives consisting of: 2x 74GB 10,000 RPM Raptors in single 16k Sripe Raid 0. And 2 300GB seagate drives also in Raid 0.
Drive bays fully pull out for ease of install. And let me tell you, the use of new snap in "Locking" sata cables are a blessing with this setup!

Thinking of getting rid of the green cold cathoids for another set of black lights. My wife dont think the green fit.. but i used whatever i had laying around. THe cool part is that they light up with the hard drive activity with i think is fitting since its where the drives are.

DSC04653.jpg

DSC04654.jpg

DSC04655.jpg

One last shot.. showing the above veiw of the drives that you can see from inside.

DSC04652.jpg

Heres a quick shot showing the power and hdd LEDS at the top L Bracket.. Was a real pain to drill out the holes in the lubic to fit them.. though it came out good i think.. Really didnt have anywhere else to put them as it would of been murder to drill holes threw 2 layers of plexy and the metal mesh.. Would of been a total mess.

DSC04658.jpg

Now for the lighting..

Heres a shot showing the front fan lit up. One single old tripple red LED pointed up from under the fan worked great! Now to just get another and have it pointed down from above somehow and it will be totally lit up.

DSC04660.jpg

Heres a shot of the front filter just barely lit up from the black light under the rads.. I think the black light will work better with the front filter insted of the green lights.

DSC04663.jpg

Heres finally a shot of the inside lighting.. I used only 2 sets of black lights total. Man i love the LEDS on those Crucial Balistix Tracers! I recently had the old pair RMAed ofcourse right when i was finished with this case and i was very happy when they siad they still had some to replace these.. This case was made for that ram! hehe.

DSC04664.jpg

DSC04666.jpg

I forogt about a couple of pics and thought i'd just toss them up.. This one show the little lubic peice i cut that locks the motherboard into place.

DSC04668.jpg

Just thought i'd throw these 2 up since there so clean compaired to the others.

DSC04651.jpg

DSC04667.jpg

DSC04649.jpg

Thats the last of the pics.. The case still needs some stuff done before its totally done. I need to replace the back slidding door with a solid one and get another red LED that i think would look sweet pointing down right inbetween the 2 7800 cards.. Evil actually hehe. Also another red LED for the top of the top fan. Maybe another black light set for the front drive area insted of the green. Also some more wrap for the few loose power lines.

Whenever i change out the fluids, i'm gona go with red water die next time.. That along with the red lights i think would look sweet with the black case.. I wish i would of done that in the first place but i was in a hurry and used whatever water die i had on me.

specs:

Case size is 23" wide and 44 1/2" Tall and it has to be close to 200lbs easy cause it took 2 people to get it off the table when i finally got it done. Thank god i used 6 caster wheels! I could'nt tell you how heavy it is now with the system and water installed.. But its dam tuff to push it around the carpet hehe. Hell if i could do it over again i'd make it taller.. cause i'd like to be able to glance over and see the system from the chair. I'm sure i'll end up putting it on some heavy duty cabnet of some sort soon.

System specs:

AMD FX-60 w/ Swiftech Epogee WB in single loop
2x 7800GTX 256MB SLI w/ Danger Den Low profile WBs in single loop.
2x ThermoChill PA120.3 Triple 120mm Radiators <-- Worked best cause it has larger chanels that allow for high volume air that my case needed.
4x Danger Den DD12V-D5 Pumps.. Though i'm only powering 2 cause 4 is overkill with these short lines. Gona pull the 2 out soon and sell them.
2x Western Digital 74GB 10000RPM Raptors
2x 300GB Seagate sata drives
Creative X-Fi Fatality sound card
PC Power Cooling 1 Kilowatt P/S
Also the front USB/Firewire bay is a HUGE must with this case and a life saver! hehe

Wow. Is that thing loud? Also what are the temps with that massive of cooling, openess and that fan?

Um................................................................................................................ wow....... :eek:

that is insane :eek:

i'm wondering though, if it is quite enough to justify that effort ?

Hell yes for huge ass systems. That is one of the coolest cases i have ever seen. Good work man, good work.

now i am really stuck as to weather my next build will be sff or a gigantuin(sp) cooling tower of computing mega death power

mad props to you by the way, that setup is bad ass.

Thanks guys! Yeah its still early and i dont have all the info you want as of yet.. My wife is off today and my year and 4 month old daughter is in crazy mode and runing all over the house.. If i get some freedom today i'll mess around with the case.. I have a sound meter.. no thermo prob but i can get case temps for the cpu and other stuff.. Wish i had something to get the inside case temps.

Wow! Pretty damn sweet! :D

Would be cool forsure.. I could just send them the top side panels. Though my prob is that i can never figure out what i want.

eclypse said:
Wow! Pretty damn sweet! :D

Would be cool forsure.. I could just send them the top side panels. Though my prob is that i can never figure out what i want.

Are you into fantasy or Star Wars? Or better, do you like hawt chiXors? The things they could paint on all that real estate. That rig is kick a$$. I can't wait until you decide to add a couple Hydras (that is the next step and judging from what you did I have no doubt you will do it):

cas-339.jpg

hahaha.. Would love to man. Just need someone to send me a stock pile of lubic as i can make the proper modifications to this baby and get it done. I cant find anywhere in the states that sells lubic anymore. :( I must of bought it up just before they clearanced it out. I knew i should of kept an eye on it cause when i bought it there was only 2 places to get it.

Whats worse is a few months ago someone sold a used combo kit on ebay fro only 25 bucks! Missed out on that one.. Thought i would'nt need anymore.

Back