My IT department software locked up my SSD

broddy

Limp Gawd
Long story short.. I received a SSD at work from my supervisor at our department to use at my convenience ..didn't know it was not approved by our IT department. Right after I used it the first time it was somehow locked. Every other computer can not detect it so I can't just format it. I mean, it doesn't even show up as anything by my computer when I hooked it up. The IT won't do it since it was not approved in the first place. They won't tell me what they used either. Boss just said oh well...Is there a software I can use at least to make it detectable and format-able so I can at least savage it somehow? I just don't want to waste it. Thanks.

edit: I tried to do diskpart command and what not, it doesn't show up. Not showing up in disk management either.

Last edited:
What is the make and model?

What OS have you tried with?

Long story short.. I received a SSD at work from my supervisor at our department to use at my convenience ..didn't know it was not approved by our IT department. Right after I used it the first time it was somehow locked. Every other computer can not detect it so I can't just format it. I mean, it doesn't even show up as anything by my computer when I hooked it up. The IT won't do it since it was not approved in the first place. They won't tell me what they used either. Boss just said oh well...Is there a software I can use at least to make it detectable and format-able so I can at least savage it somehow? I just don't want to waste it. Thanks.

edit: I tried to do diskpart command and what not, it doesn't show up. Not showing up in disk management either.
Is it a Sandforce drive?

Mushkin emailed me software to revive them if they hard lock.

What is the make and model?

What OS have you tried with?
Samsung 860 or something. I tried with Windows 10 Pro and Windows 7 Ultimate SP1. Boss submitted the purchase a while ago, not sure where the receipt went so I can't even RMA it.

How do I go about getting the software? Did you just contact them to submit a ticket or something? Thanks.
Right here

Gotta run it in windows.
Genensen.png

Let me know if it worked.

Attachments

• GENESEN.ZIP
    302.6 KB · Views: 0
I seriously doubt your "IT locked the drive somehow." If the hardware isn't even being recognized then something is likely physically malfunctioning.

How is this connected? Internal? External? Does the machine BIOS/UEFI detect the drive? Do you have some other real OS to test with? Windows is a lousy judge of pretty much anything.

They may have some kind of Data Loss Prevention software that will only recognize certain drives.

I bet it would be detectable at you home PC.

When you say it's not detectable in windows, have you tried looking for it in disk management? If there were no partitions it wouldn't show in My PC anyway.

Alright.. to add to this. I sometimes buy satellite receivers at local thrift stores and pull the drives. They almost never show in windows but Linux always sees them. Once I remove the partitions with gparted windows can see them.

Just an idea.

Thanks guys. I'm installing ubuntu on my other pc this weekend. I will try it out.

Just boot with a usb Linux stick. You have the full OS to use and can install whatever you need. Just takes a reboot.

Use DBAN, do one pass of 0's (RIP write cycles....), or you could try using bootice if running it under windows is more your thing.

Waiting for the reply that says the drive got locked out again...
Haha, nah. We have 2 separate computer systems managed by 2 different IT groups. As long as I don't put it in the other one I will be fine.

Back