My Ipod Headphones broke. Need new ones.

johnnq

[H]ard|Gawd
From what i've been reading, the ipod headphones are already overpriced and not great quality...but they've done the job for me. what other options are there? i'm looking for a new pair with a sleek look of the ipod's (not one of these huge Sennheiser headphones). looking to spend under 50 bucks, can anybody guide me in the right direction?

From www.head-fi.org

Under $70

IEM/Earbud
1-JVC Marshmallow (FX33, 34) ($15) Bassy, recessed mids and highs. I love them with rock. Great value. Kramer mod helps these a lot.
1-Creative ep630 ($23)
1-JVC Air Cushion ($30) These sound similar to the marshmallows, but with better detail and no recessed mids/highs.
1-Sennheiser cx300 ($30) Lovely midrange, and very strong bass (although uncontrolled) Highs are the weakness of this phone.
1-Yuin pk3 ($39)
1-Jays j-jays ($50)
1-Shure e2c ($60)
1-Crossroads Mylarone x3i/xbi ($57 and $65)
1-Yuin pk2 ($69)
1-Etymotic er6 ($70) Very detailed. Good mids/highs. Slightly lacking the bass department
1-Ultimate Ears Super.Fi.3 ($70)
1-V-moda Vibe($70) Very muddy, not a lot of detail. no highs to speak off.
2-Altec Lansing im716 ($100) Currently on sale @buy.com for $49

Just grap some JVC marshmallows at cc or best buy. They're not very expensive. I got mine for $8, but that was a while ago. They sound great. Google kramer mod, which is an easy mod for those earbuds and help improve the sound.

You can get the im616 (based on the er6i) for $50 at a few online places. Altec Lansing stopped selling the replacement filters for it, but the Etymotic ety8 ones would fit fine.

are all of the good headphones earbuds? seems like all of the expensive ones are :\ never had a pair. are they more comfortable than ipod headphones??

sennheiser pmx-100 are some of the best "street style" headphones I have heard if you don't want ear buds

I have a hard time finding ear buds that stay in when I run, so i use the pmx-100's for the gym and a cheap pair of sennheiser earbuds for for just walking around and stuff (mx300)

Koss KSC-75, sportapros or portapros if you want larger, portable headphones.

Koss KSC-75, sportapros or portapros if you want larger, portable headphones.

Or Koss KTXPro1s, they use the same driver as above but the diaphrams are titanium coated, some people prefer the titanium drivers, some prefer the stock drivers. Myself I could not tell the differance. Right now I am useing the KTXPro1s which I modified with the Portapro drivers. I don't like the Portapro headband and I had blown the KTXPro1s drivers so I did a little swap.
I just got a Zune and I am going to be getting the KSC75s for better portability.

Koss KTX-1 = Radio Shack Pro-35a, goes on sale a few times a year, same headphones but branded with the Radio Shack name on 'em. Same drivers across the whole PortaPro/SportaPro/KSC-35/KSC-75/KTX-1/Pro-35A lineup so... they'll all sound almost exactly the same.

One of - if not the very best - audio bargain ever in the history of audio bargains. The KSC-75 earclips can very frequently be found for $10 or less online (Buy.com, etc) and offer a sound quality that will simply leave you astonished from the moment you press Play. HeadFi.org has a few hundred threads related to the KSC-75, some mods (search for "ksc-75 kramer mod") that improve the already awesome sound quality even more, etc.

Cannot recommend them enough over most everything else for the sub-$50 price, sometimes sub-$20 and sometimes even lower.

alright after a lot of research i think i'm going with the JVC Air Cushions. i hope this won't be a bad buy :)

alright after a lot of research i think i'm going with the JVC Air Cushions. i hope this won't be a bad buy :)

naw they are WORLDS better than the earbuds. a bit dull but clean and comfy. no worries.

The Air Cushions are great bargains. Beware - this may be the first step into an endless cycle of upgrades! :D

The KSC-75s have horrible fit

the PMX-100s have great sound, fit well, and are street-style (neckband) headphones. They beat out all of the Sony/JVC crap and can be bought for around ~45 or less.

The KSC-75s have horrible fit

the PMX-100s have great sound, fit well, and are street-style (neckband) headphones. They beat out all of the Sony/JVC crap and can be bought for around ~45 or less.

Meh, I love my KSC75's, they fit my ears perfect, and I can wear them for 8+ hours. They were a little loose at first, but all I had to do was bend the ear-clip in a bit... plus they cost me ~$10, one of the best purchases I ever bought for so cheap :p

Would have spend $40 on them.

yeah, the KSC-75 have great sound for the price, and the ear clips aren't uncomfortable (probably the most comfortable ear clips I've ever worn). You can bend them to fit your ear, but it can be a little tedious. Still, I wouldn't use them for anything but walking/sitting around or they'll probably come loose and fall off.

Haha I thought that too. Got a good deal on Beyerdynamic DT770s.

Then ooh! Alessandro MS-1s for $75 with bowls and comfies?! Great condition! I'll take it.

25% cashback on a Zero DAC/Amp/Pre-amp? I'll take it!

(All in two months)

Back