My internet intermittantly dies

’m‚³‚ñ

Supreme [H]ardness
I have Charter Cable internet and a Motorola modem. My computer is plugged directly into the modem using a known good cable (swapped with other known good cables to be sure). The Cable feed is plugged into the modem and has a solid connection.

When I'm using the internet, every little while, it will just die. I still have a link light to and from the modem, but I cannot recieve ANY data from the modem itself. I cannot access the modem's control page, I get booted off IM programs, downloads stop, web pages stop loading. I've attempted to renew the IP address, but that NEVER works.

In order to get the internet working again, I must pull the power plug from my modem and do a hard reset (cannot access the control page to do a 'soft' reset). Is this my modem, or is this my internet service being down? Once I reboot the modem, I can access the modem's control page. I can post logs if that will help.

My firewall isn't interfearing, it isn't even showing me getting data from the modem.

I'm using onboard LAN on my mainboard.

This is a problem because I run F@H and my productivity is dropping becaues the clients cannot contact the server.

If this modem is toast, I'm just going to send it back to charter and buy one from Circuit City (lower bill).

I would guess modem if rebooting it fixes the problem, exchange it for another one or buy your own.

Its looking more and more like the modem... Unless the modem isn't getting a signal from the server, but I dont' think that's it. It did it again to me today. I think I am going try the 'restore factory defaults' later tonight. I'm hoping that will help.

I have the same problem with my mediacon connection, I also have 2 cable modems ive tried and the problem persists so im guessing its not me its mediacrap screwing its custumers, so i would recomend you have a tech come out and see if there is a problem.

Originally posted by beachbum
I have the same problem with my mediacon connection, I also have 2 cable modems ive tried and the problem persists so im guessing its not me its mediacrap screwing its custumers, so i would recomend you have a tech come out and see if there is a problem.

Er, uh oh. :eek: I'll have to tear down my network again... Hiding PC's isn't fun. :( Geeze, and I use the other 3 systems for F@H too... :mad: There goes an entire day of productivity...

Just curious... When your net dies, can you still access the modem's control page? Because when mine does, it doesn't let me access the page at all. :(

This is getting REALLY irritating. I have pulled the plug from this modem 9 times today to get the damn internet to work. :mad: If there was an alternate provider in the area, I would have switched by now.

Only sometimes I can access my linksys modem page when it goes down, I called mediacum and talked to the supervisor and he updated my modem for me becouse it wasn't updating and well after that everything worked fine..........UNTIL 5 MINUTES AGO! Well I guess im gonna call them tomorrow and talk to the supervisor with colorful language becouse i know its a problem at there end.:( :( :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Well, I looked in my event log, there was something strange in there. I think the problem was my ISP, not my modem. Something about not getting a vaild IP from the DHCP server. So, since my net has been working since yesterday, I think I'm good to go.

Back