My IC7 MAX 3 Mod

BitchBreaker

[H]ard|Gawd
I FINALY got my Max 3..it was awsome to have it after wanting 1 for..well a long time. After i got it and started tweaking it i soon found that i had a few problem's..no biggy i thought.. Ill do some mod's and make it better.. well here it is 50% moded (still need to get some more solder and trimmer's)
max3mod1.jpg

Pretty cut and dry at this point,wire's put in place and ready for trimer's.
max3mod2.jpg

The V filter to the NB is gona give me the little extra push i need when i get ready to crank it up.
max3mod3.jpg

max3mod4.jpg

Ill update later when i get the trimmer's in, ill also be drop moding my p4c800e deluxe again and my 9600xt AND 9800xt :)

Very cool.

I went from an Asus P4C800 Deluxe to a P4C800-E Deluxe to an IC7-Max3 (which I haven't gotten to play with yet).

My vcore droop on the Asus boards was in excess of 0.1volts sometimes. I'm convinced that volt fluctuations are the only thing holding me back from 4ghz+. Hopefully the Max3 wont have any of those issues at the speeds I'll be doing (I'm just watercooled and using a Northwood).

My old koolance setup didn't like high voltage + high clock speeds. This new setup I'm building will hopefully provide better cooling and allow lower voltage for stability.

I can drop mod the p4c800e deluxe easy if u still have it, the max 3 is a awsome board but it need's some mod's.

max3mod6.jpg

Added the extra choke and extra cap's to the back ot the board, Ill have the new trimmer's in tomorrow and then ill be able to test the system :D

BitchBreaker said:
It help's cut down on the V drop.stability at high current help's a LOT

aka, keeps voltages whre the motherboard should be keeping them anyway?

so in other words it cuts down on v-core fluctuations? if so then thats pretty badass yo

Machinest,welder,brazer,custom moder, and a proud partner of SNT-Systems :) Our mod shop will be open soon and every thing from mobo mod's, Vid card v mod's ect will be there. if u have a request then pm me or post.

Nice work.

Are you planning on posting a schematic? Parts list with specs of the caps, trimmers, and choke?

Do you anticipate any RF or inductance issues with the long leads to the bigger caps?

Your close-up pictures are great.

No i dont see any problem's with the longer lead's on the cap's due to the lack of load on them, the cap's are there to help thin the V ripple in this case ill be sheilding them later, for now ill get the mod's done then provide a part's list along with setting's and redout's on my fluke.

Ill have new updated pics tomorrow,maby tonight if i get around to it.Bubble's MAX 3 is waiting on 3 back orderd trimmer's and im waiting on 4 back orderd trimmer's.

Awsome mobo to say the least,LMK if ya want it moded :) i have a special on max3 mod's right now,all v mod's except the V dimm because the ddr booster work's a lot better.

Will the caps on the back of the board make mounting any harder?

Awesome work, everything looks as organized and well-routed as if it had been part of the design!

The cap's get in the way so u have to cut the mobo tray some so it will mount,that board is allready sold i now have a DFI-875p-t thank's to TheLonlySweedish :) i still do any and all v mod's so if u have a request just pm me.

So simply adding more capacitance prevents vdrop under high load?
Does this work for every board?

Just about,when you add more cap's u add the ammount of current the board can "store" so when u have a big flux the board can quickly recover from the drop.

Adding pic's of the dothan rig i just got done with :)

This belong's to TheLonlySweedish

mobo1.jpg

mobo2.jpg

mobo3.jpg

mobo4.jpg

mobo5.jpg

Isn't the other circuitry on the board only designed to work with a certain capacitance though?

For example: I replace a row of 1500uf caps with 3300uf caps... no adverse effects on the neighbouring transistors?

aslong as the voltage is the same then u should be fine.the biggest thing is to make damn sure the cap's have a ultra low ESR

I thought the voltage of the cap only means that it can handle a higher voltage... I mean, given 2 caps of equal value and ESR, the one with the higher voltage rating would just be able to handle more voltage through it, right?

Viperoni said:
I thought the voltage of the cap only means that it can handle a higher voltage... I mean, given 2 caps of equal value and ESR, the one with the higher voltage rating would just be able to handle more voltage through it, right?
Yea i was speaking of a lesser Voltage rating,as long as u arent trying to put a 4 farid bank of cap's on the board then your fine,upping the Micro farid rating a little like say going from 1500uF to 3500uF your ok.

oh shit man i just got back from cali. what a sick suprise.... I can't believe you got that dothan to 2.4....it's gonna be uber!

Yep got her to 2.4 on stock air.Cant wait to see what u get on water :) your block is done so u should be good.

Yeh theres some crazy shite you can do to the IC7. Check this link out, has a dude using a razor blade to cut the traces in a motherboard to solder parts on as well as a detailed guide on how to do pretty much every IC7 mod.

IC7 Mod Guide

FunkStar said:
Yeh theres some crazy shite you can do to the IC7. Check this link out, has a dude using a razor blade to cut the traces in a motherboard to solder parts on as well as a detailed guide on how to do pretty much every IC7 mod.

IC7 Mod Guide

Yea...Hipro5 is a buddy of mine,them are all the mod's u need + i have a few more,problem is u need to know what your doing b4 u try the mod's...cuttng traces is a art that u have to master,if u cut to deep u will cut into a nother trace below that top layer and your board will ineffect be dead.This is why I offer my moding servises,with 200+ mobo,and vid card mod's under my belt with only 1 death (due to bad trimmer) Im happy to offer my single price of $20~$60 (depending on the mod(s) done.Vid card's are flat rate of $35.

very nice work.i especially like how you did the cap mod for the northbridge.compared to hipros mod,no chance of the nb heatsink hitting the capacitor.when will you be posting more pix that you alluded to in this thread

BitchBreaker: How did you get into / How long have you been into electronics?

I find the actual modding of motherboards more exciting/interesting than the overclocking so i was just wondering ways to get more into it.

I have been doing this type of stuff since i was 12,im 20 now,As for more pic's,ill have to get new pic's and post them,for moding u need hand's like a surgeon,im not the best but i havent been able to find a mod i cant do and do right.

Tis the season for V moding..send me some gear to mod people!

EDIT:: Season price combo drop,Mobo + vid card for $60 :)

Back