my i7 980X is 7 years old!

Still running a A64X2 4200+ [email protected] I got back in 06', in a just as old Asus AN8-SLI as a HTPC for the wife.
It's got 4gb of OCZ Platinum 400 DDR and a eVGA 9800GTX, being powered by a Antec Trupower 430 and cooled with a Zalman 7000cu HSF. A 300GB Maxtor Diamond Max + 10 and 2 x 80mm fans.

Runs Youtube-KODI/PLEX@1080p great except for HVEC, up to 4 sec lags. :(

As long as she's happy, I'm happy. :D

Old SKOOL FTW!

haha my friend is still running my old x2-3800+ with 2gb of ram and 2x GT 760 256mb in SLI :D runs counterstrike 1.6 pretty good..

Fair enough. Would probably need additional incentive (eg. current X58 mobo is flaky / partially non-working ports, plain 'ol upgrade itch, etc.)

Features and power usage will clearly be an upgrade including memory performance even though the number of channels went down.

I remember when I was a teenager reading some computing magazine (can't remember which one).

It had on the front cover in huge letters : ALPHA DOES IT!!! Worlds first 300mhz CPU!

I was absolutely mind blown they hit that speed.

I remember those days... I had an opportunity to grab a dual proc alpha station from the scrap heap about 12 years ago but hesitated. I'd still love to get one but they are too damn expensive now. Just thankful I didn't scrap any of my old x86 action.

I remember those days... I had an opportunity to grab a dual proc alpha station from the scrap heap about 12 years ago but hesitated. I'd still love to get one but they are too damn expensive now. Just thankful I didn't scrap any of my old x86 action.
Still have mine :)
bp6-1.jpg

God likes twos. Balls, tits, asscheeks, and CPUs :p

I had quite a few dual processor boards over the years. From dual pentium 133s to dual socket 940 Opteron 850s. Back then I thought I would never go back to single CPU but then the core2quad was more powerful than the dual processor dual core opterons it replaced and did so using less than 1/2 the power. Most of these probably are still around. Although they are in the attic..

I am on an i7 860 at the moment (work pc) however the HP bios doesn't allow any type of overclock.

haha my friend is still running my old x2-3800+ with 2gb of ram and 2x GT 760 256mb in SLI :D runs counterstrike 1.6 pretty good..

Yup. Ye ole' potato will still make CS run pretty ;)
Hell I was using mine to pirate cable/OTA/SAT with a Hecules around 4 years, and that's after my son used it for 3yrs to play most of my Steam catalog.
Before that she was my main gaming rig till the C2Q9550 filled that role. She's on her 3rd Mobo as well, I predict either the mobo or the Trupower will go tits up soon, then I will lay her to rest. Good times.

Still on my i5-750 that I got back in Dec 2009....

I overclocked it to 3.4 from 2.66 and popped in a 960 back at the end of 2015. (for Fallout 4)

Considering the only games I consistently play are Grim Dawn, Overwatch, and Skyrim; I'm shockingly content.

Pretty sure I still have a bunch of old ISA cards as well - Gravis UltraSound, SB16, SB Pro, original SB and Pro AudioSpectrum.
I still have my Gravis Ultrasound card. The rest I ditched. Not worth it :)

I counted, and I now had this pc for longer than any other computer. Including my c64 and my amiga. What the [H] is wrong with this world.. Gimme something new and shiny! I want, a solid upgrade to wow me:

30" Oled 4k screens
2-3 tb next generation 3d nand harddisks (Optane?)
Solid gpus that can run stuff in 4k or VR
An 8 core cpu that overclocks to 5ghz while still being on par with the best 4cores core for core.

All of this is possible. And lots of it might come to market in 2018...And I've only had this itch for 4 years now. Still upgrades apperaed only marginal. Gimme something real! Make me the kid again, who marveled at the 16colors of my C64. :)

I still have my Gravis Ultrasound card. The rest I ditched. Not worth it :)

I counted, and I now had this pc for longer than any other computer. Including my c64 and my amiga. What the [H] is wrong with this world.. Gimme something new and shiny! I want, a solid upgrade to wow me:

30" Oled 4k screens
2-3 tb next generation 3d nand harddisks (Optane?)
Solid gpus that can run stuff in 4k or VR
An 8 core cpu that overclocks to 5ghz while still being on par with the best 4cores core for core.

All of this is possible. And lots of it might come to market in 2018...And I've only had this itch for 4 years now. Still upgrades apperaed only marginal. Gimme something real! Make me the kid again, who marveled at the 16colors of my C64. :)

Man I do miss that kind of transformational experience. I remember gaming on the NES and then one day seeing Spear of Destiny, but more than that... flight simulators and games like Wing Commander are what really hooked me.

Until then I never understood PC's were that awesome. I knew they were cool but that was some next level stuff.

Then once I had my own PC DOOM came along.. and 2 megabytes of ram just wouldn't cut it. 360 dollars later I was up to 6megabytes of ram, and I was still tooling around in my config.sys and autoexec.bat to make sure I had the most efficient order and that I was loading my mouse driver into the upper memory blocks.

Yea I've been at this a while...

The biggest jump I ever had from PC to PC was when I went from my 486 (at the time DX2 66 I had upgraded to.) to a Pentium 90! With a 2mb video card!!! I was a BEAST. I had my soundblaster 16... and would soon be adding TWO VoodooII cards to the mix.

Yea... I was a nerd then and am still one.

The problem we have today is there are no more GREAT LEAPS for technology to take that we will notice. I think my jump from my old 2600k platform to my new 7700k platform and faster ram and amazingly fast storage IS on scale as much of an improvement. BUT....

We just don't FEEL it any more. Our perception of the improvement is getting to the point that we just can really TRULY process how much better.

When before we went from load times in the Minutes to load times in the 1/2 minutes. That was a HUGE improvement.

But now we are taking load times of 3 seconds and cutting them to 1 second. Sure we have cut the load time to 1/3... where before we cut it to 1/2 or more. But the actual AMOUNT of time saved or gained depending on your outlook is hard for us to quantify from a quality of life improvement.

It's like running at 120fps and 240fps. Can we REALLY tell that much of a difference? Some people will swear by it.

To REALLY FEEL all of this... I think the next frontier is rightly noticed by Steve of the [H]. We need to DIVE INTO the technology and nothing more truly represents that than VR. THAT is the next transformational upgrade.

Agree Grimlaking - the last felt improvement I had prior to SSDs was when I finally had a WD Raptor and my Opteron 170. Socket 939 was the highlight of my pc interests,i was in my early 20s and had my own apt....good times.

Agree Grimlaking - the last felt improvement I had prior to SSDs was when I finally had a WD Raptor and my Opteron 170. Socket 939 was the highlight of my pc interests,i was in my early 20s and had my own apt....good times.

I will say the transition from SAS to SSD was nice.. and I think it is an equal scale of improvment from SSD to NVMe. Just saying.

Intel Xeon W3690 which is really... your 990X but I have 48GB of DDR3 1600 running on it. 24GB more then its specifications say it can run.

I have 5 SSD's multiple 5 TB drives 34inch ultrawidescreen and 2 AMD Fury's

The W3690 at 4.275Ghz is still playing everything.

However I am going to put a Ryzen 1800X with 64GB in here. So we will see what happens.

Comedically my wife has a 3770K at 4.5Ghz with 32GB.. in single thread hers kills me.

I gave my non-computer inclined cousin my old beater system with a Xeon W3690 in it. He had an old poorly built i7-2600k, with 8GB of RAM, a 560Ti and a lousy 60GB SSD. My old beater system that I gave him to use has an ASUS WS X58 motherboard, 48GB of RAM, Corsair 140mm AIO water cooler, Geforce GTX 690, an 840 Pro 512GB SSD, a Corsair AX860i and a Fractal Design Define R5 case.

Yes, I probably will upgrade his old system, but he lives 12 hours away...the replacement will at least tide him over until I get down there next.

He reports that the replacement system is way faster than his old system...;)

I too had a 980x for five years before going with the 5960x 2 years ago. Love that CPU. My current rig will last me (hopefully) as long as yours has.

[email protected] here, and not my fault Intel/AMD have only done lateral steps since 2010 otherwise I would upgraded like the good ol' days where every year or two you get a 30-50% performance boost with an upgrade.

I will say this.. I had a 2600k I was very happy with.. it was doing fine.. and I thought it was feeding my GTX 1070 video card just fine as well. Then I upgraded my platform and have my same GTX 1070 video card in a 270 mobo with a 7700... and HO LEE SHIT... It's easily 3x as fast in WOW and that is my primary game. Just FYI.
It's cute when people either lie or can't figure out how to overclock their rigs.

It's cute when people either lie or can't figure out how to overclock their rigs.

You seem to like to be insulting to people. It's really not needed. Congratulations you overclocked the crap out of your CPU. Better than I ever did because I didn't. I didn't feel a need to and didn't know what I was missing in not doing so it appears until it was time for me to upgrade my system according to me.

You seem to like to be insulting to people. It's really not needed. Congratulations you overclocked the crap out of your CPU. Better than I ever did because I didn't. I didn't feel a need to and didn't know what I was missing in not doing so it appears until it was time for me to upgrade my system according to me.
Well to be fair, comparing a stock 2600K to an OCed 7700K is just cruel,
especially when the strength of Sandybridge is high OCs ;)

But he made a valid point. 3x as fast in WOW. $@$@$@$ is this statement? No wonder people vote the way they vote.

But he made a valid point. 3x as fast in WOW. $@$@$@$ is this statement? No wonder people vote the way they vote.

OK... Let me be absolutely clear here so there is no confusion. When playing world of warcraft in areas where I would get between 45 to 58 fps (windowed full screen no border everything at max.). Exact same video card... Moved to the new mobo and ram and storage... I got 156 to 166 fps all settings the same.

That to me is equal to three times the performance in world of warcraft.

I know that isn't the most demanding game but it is the reference I have on hand. And I don't expect it to be an equal measure in all games.

*shakes head* kids these days...

I still have a complete win7 i7-980 box as well. When I upgraded to windows 10, I broke my win7 mirror and saved the win7 instance. When I finally built a new x99 desktop a year ago, I put the win7 ssd back in and it booted right up and started downloading updates for 7 =)

I now use that box as my HTPC and play rocketleague on it nightly.

I still have a complete win7 i7-980 box as well. When I upgraded to windows 10, I broke my win7 mirror and saved the win7 instance. When I finally built a new x99 desktop a year ago, I put the win7 ssd back in and it booted right up and started downloading updates for 7 =)

I now use that box as my HTPC and play rocketleague on it nightly.
That's awesome!

I just built a Kaby Lake build this week. I built my x58 920 combo Jan 2010. It's not even retiring as I'm hooking it up to my TV as a couch gaming rig.

See my sig. It was originally an i7-920 that consistently hit a wall around 3.6GHz. Switching to a W3670 gave me two more cores and a good bit more OC headroom, though it does run hot. That being said, X58 will always have a special place in my heart for the ways you could push things with it. I'm planning a new build soon more for the platform extras than raw CPU performance. My board doesn't have USB, SATA, or PCIe 3, and the add in cards I've used to rectify two of those three issues are sometimes more trouble than they've been worth.

My 920 is still in the box my 980 came in... I have a 930 here too somewhere I think.

Just replaced my old i7-2600k box. It will continue to live as a NAS rig, and maybe light regular computing duty for the wife. I've had that thing since 2011, with only a boot SSD and GPU upgrade. 6 years... it's the longest I've ever kept a machine as my primary box. Usual upgrade cycle before that was 2-3 years. But every time I looked to upgrade, I noticed that the new sh*t was barely faster than my old Sandy Bridge. Now, it's been replaced with a Ryzen 1700X box. *STILL* not much all that much faster in single-threaded sh*t, but beastly in multi-threaded sh*t, so the upgrade was worth it for that.

As an aside, I've an old Q6600 box running my homebrew MAME arcade cabinet. No idea how long I've owned that, now. Once upon a time it was my primary box, and it keeps on trucking.

10626656_10205256966690353_6592682009254120945_n.jpg

i7 920 @ 3.8 Ghz.

Still have no reason to upgrade it. It waits on me more than I wait on it.
I have an Asus P6T Deluxe V2 and recently installed an NH-D15s cooler. I was wondering what voltage you need for the 3.8Ghz. Mine did 3.8 but hot 85+C, that was on old cooler Mugen2.

X58 FTW :)
I wish I would have bought a nicer board in 2010, but am pretty happy sitting with my X5670 6-core/12-thread at 4.2
I think my Asus P6T Deluxe V2 will die before the cpu will. I had such great experience with the platform since 2009 I bought a second hand X58 board. Also it will receive it's fourth gfx card upgrade.

I have an Asus P6T Deluxe V2 and recently installed an NH-D15s cooler. I was wondering what voltage you need for the 3.8Ghz. Mine did 3.8 but hot 85+C, that was on old cooler Mugen2.
CPUZ shows it varying from 1.15 to 1.28 volts. Maxes out at about 66 degrees Celsius. I am using a Spire Thermax Eclipse 3 with a Noctua and Antec fan on it since the original fans sucked and died in 2 years.

I think my Asus P6T Deluxe V2 will die before the cpu will. I had such great experience with the platform since 2009 I bought a second hand X58 board. Also it will receive it's fourth gfx card upgrade.

I don't have numbers for your chip, but I have my 980 OC'd in the P6T Deluxe V2 with these settings:

i7-980 stable overclock 4.250GHz
BCLK 170
Multiplier x25
CPU Voltage 1.38125
DRAM Voltage 1.66
QPI/DRAM Core Voltage: 1.30

CPU PLL 1.8
QPI link 3060MHz

There are x5660 hexcore CPUs on ebay right now for 32$. I have one in my Asus P6T D V2 it runs 4ghz at 1.29v and is around 50c-55c running BOINC 100% load.
They are 32nm chips and run cooler than the 45nm chips.
For just a little over 30$ it is a lot of CPU.

Xeon X5672, 4/8 3.2/3.6

I'm a broke-ass Vet, so I'm pretty happy with what I have. Before was a Dell XPS410 , dual core, 2.13.

Life, it gives and it takes. Never complain.

Mine is still sitting in my iMac I got when I graduated college. The iMac is in storage but thinking of upgrading it. Man I feel old now. Time to go yell at kids on my lawn...

anyone else using a CPU as old as mine?...I'm a gamer and have very little interest in upgrading as I'm fine with 6 cores and 3.5ghz...am I crazy or is this CPU still excellent?...besides the lower TDP of the newer Kaby Lake CPU's and maybe some new SSE instruction sets what am I missing?...only thing I upgrade is my GPU every other year or so

I am still using an i7-860. Probably going to be doing a new build with an R7-1600X.

Initial build had an HD4850, spent most of its life with an HD6970. Upgraded to an R9 290, 16GB RAM, and an SSD when I did the Windows 10 install.

Current bedroom PC - i7 860 with Gigabyte GA-P55-UD4P - purchased 10/2009.

Current main/gaming PC - i7-4770K with Asus Z87- Pro - purchased 06/2013

Usually would have replaced the gaming PC by now and moved the main PC to replace bedroom, but not really gaming any more.

Back