my i7 980X is 7 years old!

polonyc2

Fully [H]
anyone else using a CPU as old as mine?...I'm a gamer and have very little interest in upgrading as I'm fine with 6 cores and 3.5ghz...am I crazy or is this CPU still excellent?...besides the lower TDP of the newer Kaby Lake CPU's and maybe some new SSE instruction sets what am I missing?...only thing I upgrade is my GPU every other year or so

The core2quad I have in my linux based pvr / domain controller / pvr is over 9 years old and has had > 99% uptime. Although I plan to upgrade soon. That is if the ryzen 1700 supports ECC I will go AMD if not an E3 xeon is the next most likely replacement.

Code:
jmd0 ~ # uname -a
Linux jmd0.comcast.net 4.9.12-gentoo-20170224-1932-jmd0.comcast.net #1 SMP Fri Feb 24 19:36:12 EST 2017 x86_64 Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q9550 @ 2.83GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux

Last edited:
Intel Xeon W3690 which is really... your 990X but I have 48GB of DDR3 1600 running on it. 24GB more then its specifications say it can run.

I have 5 SSD's multiple 5 TB drives 34inch ultrawidescreen and 2 AMD Fury's

The W3690 at 4.275Ghz is still playing everything.

However I am going to put a Ryzen 1800X with 64GB in here. So we will see what happens.

Comedically my wife has a 3770K at 4.5Ghz with 32GB.. in single thread hers kills me.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 118
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 113
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 108
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 111
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:
4 years coming up quick on my 4770k and 780gtx... No demanding games that I care about to speak of. Only games I play are capped at 60fps anyway. Shooters have been dead to me for years now. Actually thinking of getting a PS4 pro, my first console since PS1!

System in my sig is the one I've been using for the last 7 years. I have the upgrade itch bad but no reason to upgrade. I priced a build on PChound right before I came to [H]. I could spend that $912 on something else. Maybe a gun I'll rarely shoot. Maybe put it toward something else...

Intel Xeon W3690 which is really... your 990X but I have 48GB of DDR3 1600 running on it. 24GB more then its specifications say it can run.

I have 5 SSD's multiple 5 TB drives 34inch ultrawidescreen and 2 AMD Fury's

The W3690 at 4.275Ghz is still playing everything.

However I am going to put a Ryzen 1800X with 64GB in here. So we will see what happens.

Comedically my wife has a 3770K at 4.5Ghz with 32GB.. in single thread hers kills me.

The 1800X doesn't offer anything tangible over the 1700X. That extra $100.00 would be better spent on literally anything else in your system, IMO.

anyone else using a CPU as old as mine?...I'm a gamer and have very little interest in upgrading as I'm fine with 6 cores and 3.5ghz...am I crazy or is this CPU still excellent?...besides the lower TDP of the newer Kaby Lake CPU's and maybe some new SSE instruction sets what am I missing?...only thing I upgrade is my GPU every other year or so

Why are you asking something that you can measure in 5 minuttes?

I probably won't be upgrading the guts of my PC for quite a while either, not a compelling reason to - GPU, yes, the rest not so much.

If it's still working for you and doing all you need it to do, why worry?

rig in sig. upgrade bug hitting hard, but I have no idea what I want to get, 1700x, 6850k, wait for Ryzen 5, wait for Skylake X.. I dunno, so I'll probably upgrade nothing for a while.

I will say this.. I had a 2600k I was very happy with.. it was doing fine.. and I thought it was feeding my GTX 1070 video card just fine as well. Then I upgraded my platform and have my same GTX 1070 video card in a 270 mobo with a 7700... and HO LEE SHIT... It's easily 3x as fast in WOW and that is my primary game. Just FYI.

i7 870 in my plex box. not the best for simultaneous transcodes... gonna replace it with something else soon

I'm glad I got rid of my W3520 (basically i7 920). At 4ghz that thing was pulling more power than most GPU's :LOL:

I will say this.. I had a 2600k I was very happy with.. it was doing fine.. and I thought it was feeding my GTX 1070 video card just fine as well. Then I upgraded my platform and have my same GTX 1070 video card in a 270 mobo with a 7700... and HO LEE SHIT... It's easily 3x as fast in WOW and that is my primary game. Just FYI.

placebo effect :stop:

probably 1080p or windowed mode, of course a faster cpu would increase fps with a capable card in front of it. isn't wow very cpu dependant ?

Still have 4x X5690s in two HP Z800s on active duty.
Can run a crapload of VMs and tears through compute jobs (vid encoding, etc.)

If I didn't have these, I'd head down to MC and pickup 2-3 R7-1700 setups :p

I think it was the 7700 that kyle tested against some older top of the line processors and showed that there isn't as much of an improvement as you think...

Sounds like if you are still happy with the performance, there is really no need to upgrade.

I think it was the 7700 that kyle tested against some older top of the line processors and showed that there isn't as much of an improvement as you think...

yup, I think there might be some new SSE instruction sets along with the higher clock speeds but as long as you have a decent quad core chip at around 3.5ghz I think it's perfectly fine...the higher TDP on my 980x doesn't really add up to much in terms of real world electricity cost

An R7-7700 OCed to 4GHz would come close to equaling 2x X5690s in MT, and fry them in ST.
Not to mention use a ton less power.

Moot point though since I already have them.

Still running a A64X2 4200+ [email protected] I got back in 06', in a just as old Asus AN8-SLI as a HTPC for the wife.
It's got 4gb of OCZ Platinum 400 DDR and a eVGA 9800GTX, being powered by a Antec Trupower 430 and cooled with a Zalman 7000cu HSF. A 300GB Maxtor Diamond Max + 10 and 2 x 80mm fans.

Runs Youtube-KODI/PLEX@1080p great except for HVEC, up to 4 sec lags. :(

As long as she's happy, I'm happy. :D

Old SKOOL FTW!

I bought x58 in 2013. I should ave done that a lot earlier. I'm running 6 cores with HT disabled. x5675 is a great CPU for everything and gaming.

Yeah hard to believe I guess

really? I guess.. I didn't expect it at all to be honest. I was playing on my older setup with everything at max. Still doing the same in the new setup. as I sit right now I'm getting 166fps at 1080p windowed mode.

As my sig says: X5672, 8GB, 750 ti, etc.

To be honest, it's a fantastic system for me.

I'm an AF vet on a very tight budget, so it is what it is.

A few folks from here have helped me immensely.

They know who I'm talking about. Thanks.

Wyo

My 980x still running 4ghz... Would like to upgrade though. 2020 perhaps?

Firestrike?:rolleyes:

3D Mark Fire Strike. Don't worry about it. 3D Mark's arbitrary numbers are meaningless as the variables that impact your scores are not necessarily the ones that impact gaming. If you took 3D Mark's word about CPU clock speeds no one would be using Core i7 2600K's anymore.

3D Mark Fire Strike. Don't worry about it. 3D Mark's arbitrary numbers are meaningless as the variables that impact your scores are not necessarily the ones that impact gaming. If you took 3D Mark's word about CPU clock speeds no one would be using Core i7 2600K's anymore.

Well if there is a metric I could use for comparison I would be glad to do so.

Well if there is a metric I could use for comparison I would be glad to do so.

Anything beyond actual games in similar hardware configurations is totally meaningless. Synthetic benchmarks provide interesting information that's academic at best. 3D Mark is worthless because it has nothing to do with game performance. There is almost nothing you can learn from using it. It's not the best application for stability testing. It isn't as if a given score translates into a system's ability to play games. The only thing you can assume out of it is that a really high scoring system can probably play games well. That doesn't mean that a given system will perform properly in all situations. The old ATI 2900XT outscored the older 8800GTX in 3D Mark by a long shot. It was slower at virtually every game out there at the time of its release. If anyone ever bought it based on 3D Mark performance numbers they'd be in for massive disappointment. Other synthetic tests won't help you much either. It's nice to see things like memory bandwidth numbers but again, if that mattered no one would be using LGA 1151 motherboards at all. Enthusiasts would be buying the more affordable X99 motherboards and 5820K's or similar CPUs. Synthetic memory tests have nothing to do with gaming.

The information provided by synthetic tests is interesting. It can help us speculate as to how well something might do in specific conditions but ultimately, those tests have jack shit to do with how well your system performs in games.

I'm still running my I7 920 but upgraded my memory to 16GB since last time I posted about it because Just Cause 3 was running a little choppy. I was going to upgrade to Kaby Lake but after seeing the disappointing reviews I'm going to wait for Cannonlake. I have a Gigabyte G! 1080 video card and I can max out just about every game. The only game I have trouble with is X-Plane 11 in VR using Flyinside but I think it's because the game is using more of my CPU. All the other VR games run good including the newest one, Robo Recall. Also, I must have the worst CPU as far as overclocking is concerned. I couldn't get mine to go over 3.2 GHZ. I ran it for over a year at 2.8GHZ and then suddenly ithe computer started crashing so I reduced it back to 2.67GHz. I have a HAF X case, Thermaltake air cooler, and Gigabyte UDR3 motherboard in case you were wondering.

I've still got my 980X but it's not doing anything. It's sitting on an ASUS Rampage III Black Edition which could very well be the best X58 motherboard ever produced.

I've still got my 980X but it's not doing anything. It's sitting on an ASUS Rampage III Black Edition which could very well be the best X58 motherboard ever produced.

That is a one sexy board.

X58 FTW :)
I wish I would have bought a nicer board in 2010, but am pretty happy sitting with my X5670 6-core/12-thread at 4.2

Back