My i7 2600k box is branded "i5" in several places

I couldn't find any evidence online of this happening elsewhere, but I stopped by Fry's and picked up one of the anniversary sale i7 2600ks, and the box is sending me mixed signals. The cashiers were discussing how weird they thought it was, but the CPU cap and the barcode all check out. Is this common?

Well the 2600k labels are stickers so my guess is that they just put the cpu and labels on the wrong box. If it is still sealed I wouldn't worry about it.

I had a kfc (Kentucky fried chicken) cup the other day that said kgc, it cracked me up.

BTW is there any easy way to look up a chips serial number to see if intel thinks it's retail or OEM and if so what does it say for that chip?

I suspect someone at intel just screwed up and used the wrong box but packaging errors could also be an indication of more nefarious things going on (such as buying OEM chips and selling them as retail....).

I remember buying a P4 CPU with Hyperthreading many years back. The retail box and the included sticker, however, only had logos of the original Pentium 4 without HT.

The chip itself works fine to this day, and is always recognized to have hyperthreading.

I say keep it. down the road I'm sure someone will want to buy it as a collectors item (people collect the dumbest things)

You can always return it, but its more than likely just a packaging error somewhere along the line.

I have the box from my Intel® Core™ i7-2600K here and nowhere on the box does it say i5 like it does on yours. Needless to say something is strange about this. So my advice is to run CPU-z on the processor right away to make sure it is what it is appears to be. If you get back and strange readings return it. The processor should have this part # BX80623I72600K and spec code # of SR00C code on it and should report the spec code # in CPU-z.

It looks like one escaped QC with the wrong box. It happens.

That's what I figured. I'm not too worried about it.

I have a crazy idea. Open it up and put it in your motherboard.

I would, of course, have tried this already if I weren't still waiting for the motherboard to arrive in the mail.

My favorite part was getting stopped at the door by the guy checking my receipt. He looked even more confused than I did, and I was starting to doubt he was going to let me leave.

Well the 2600k labels are stickers so my guess is that they just put the cpu and labels on the wrong box. If it is still sealed I wouldn't worry about it.

I had a kfc (Kentucky fried chicken) cup the other day that said kgc, it cracked me up.

KGC is on purpose lol. It's their new Kentucky Grilled Chicken.

OP: is the return policy really only 15 days? If it is hopefully you get your motherboard soon so you can test it.

got to love when QA issues make thier way to the end consumer ... i believe it's just a signle box that made it's way into the i7 stack when they were assembling the packages :)

My favorite part was getting stopped at the door by the guy checking my receipt. He looked even more confused than I did, and I was starting to doubt he was going to let me leave.

Let you leave? You didn't even have to stop to show him the reciept in the first place.

I would leave it like this, mistakes happen sometimes. Or maybe you are just victim of joke made by some peeps in intel plant:D

Seems to be OK so far.

I have the box from my Intel® Core™ i7-2600K here and nowhere on the box does it say i5 like it does on yours. Needless to say something is strange about this. So my advice is to run CPU-z on the processor right away to make sure it is what it is appears to be. If you get back and strange readings return it. The processor should have this part # BX80623I72600K and spec code # of SR00C code on it and should report the spec code # in CPU-z.

I don't see where the spec code would be showing up in CPU-Z. What are you referring to?

The only issue I would have, is that if you ever need to legitimately return it (either to fry's or a warranty claim with Intel) they are going to be suspicious about the box. And I don't mean suspicious that they made an error...

Yeah, that thought had occurred to me as well. I figure Fry's is worthless to me beyond 15 days anyway, and Intel should know better, unless I actually did get screwed by Fry's somehow--in which case, I will have words with them. Let's hope it doesn't come to that.

The way the CPUs are packed you can read the markings on the heat spreader. If they checked out I wouldn't worry about it.

Friend of mine experienced the same thing with a 2600k he bought last weekend also from Fry's. i5 box with 2600k stickers all over. Odd thing is I bought two the day before him and both of mine were correctly boxed/labelled.

Friend of mine experienced the same thing with a 2600k he bought last weekend also from Fry's. i5 box with 2600k stickers all over. Odd thing is I bought two the day before him and both of mine were correctly boxed/labelled.

Good to know I'm not the only one!

This is where I ended up:

Worth noting that I couldn't get x44 stable (Prime/Linpack AVX) at auto voltages without either disabling power saving features or enabling PLL overvoltage. After comparing power draw at the wall and idle temperatures, I decided to just turn off C1E/C3+C6/EIST. With power saving enabled, my idle was 25c / 91 watts. With those features disabled, my idle is 28c / 120 watts. Load temp and power draw are the same either way (~67c, 220w). Cooler is a Zalman CNPS9700.

BIOS auto vcore claims to be 1.32, EasyTune reports 1.296-1.308 idle, and as pictured, 1.26 under load. CPU-Z and HWMonitor seem to misreport on this board/chipset (GA-Z68X-UD3-B3), so I'm trusting EasyTune.

Back