My HKC X3 144hz 1ms hi contrast VA panel is in!

Oh I guess i Can't do any of this without a camera and a CRT screen. My desk is a cheap IKEA desk as well, so I'd need to replace the table, buy a new CRT, some adapters, a camera.. I guess I won't be able to do this .

i guess u can use any kind of monitor to compare with to see the differences(does say 2 monitors that are hooked to the same gpu), and any camera phone camera would work too i think hmm

I thought about that, but my Samsung Galaxy S (first edition i 9000 Korean model) does not have a shutter speed .

for the frame skipping test you can either decrease camera ISO and/or reduce monitor brightness, to make camera do longer exposures

and for the input lag i think you just need to snap a picture with both monitor in it and see the timer/stopwatch on both monitor in the picture

Well, I can't consider this 100% valid as I used my cellphone camera. It has a very slow shutter time and can't be changed and has no ISO function either..
The Rtings tests the Vizio M43 as 18.5ms input lag
Vizio M Series 2015 Review (M43-C1, M49-C1, M50-C1, M55-C2, M60-C3, M65-C1, M70-C3, M75-C1, M80-C3)

So despite them having the exact same number, remember that there is sync lag when connecting two screens and this free software is also not accurate like SMTT 2.0

THe HKC might look less bright, but that isn't what it actually looks like

but i did learn something! The Vizio tv does seem to do 4:2:2 or 4:4:4 chroma at 120hz w/1080p. Just
not in 4k mode 60hz. Scaling looks as sharp as native and I can compare to my other two Sony tv 1080ps

2016-06-21 19.11.27.jpg

I would imagine the input lag is no more than a frame and likely less. In general most "gaming" monitors are not that bad anymore as far as actual input lag.

Last edited:
107.00 for that tester. Well, damn. I don't think I 'll be spending more money on this unless I got some sponsorships like those pro youtubers. Not a bad price for a professional piece of equipment though.

Yes you add Input lag+ TRUE pixel response time and that gives you your final response.

However, though I can't give you any test results I can tell you that I'm getting a good deal of success in Overwatch. So I guess It can't be that bad. I really hope I can double this value so I can be a pro level competitor. (unfiXED is double these values)

Screen Shot 06-20-16 at 08.14 PM.PNG Screen Shot 06-20-16 at 08.13 PM.PNG
California region:
top 23 : kills per game /eliminations per minute

Yes you add Input lag+ TRUE pixel response time and that gives you your final response.

However, though I can't give you any test results I can tell you that I'm getting a good deal of success in Overwatch. So I guess It can't be that bad. I really hope I can double this value so I can be a pro level competitor. (unfiXED is double these values)

View attachment 4423 View attachment 4424
California region:
top 23 : kills per game /eliminations per minute

Hmn<> Nice job. Yeah i haven't payed too much attention to Overwatch. I only saw a video of it in action today. Looks like Ut/Quake basically with Blizzard graphics. I'm sure it's great being a Blizzard game though i just am so done with Blizzard, at least on my pc. Stopped playing WOW like 7 or 8 years ago and still get WoW spam trying to fish my account info, lol.

Apparently at one time my WOW account got hacked being dormant for so long, then i got warnings from Blizzard about gold farming or whatever, then I finally had to call them and say, look. I haven't played this damn game in years and NEVER will again, so please for the love of God close it, delete it i'm sick of getting spam. lol. They finally did. I still get spam. :| I've thought of revisiting Diablo and Starcraft but i just don't want to install battlenet ever again, lol. I just play Hearthstone on my phone.

Damn, i'm really curious as to what panel is in this thing now. If it's LK235D3HA0S - says it can do 240Hz in 3D mode, ok.. So i wonder if with one of Cirthix controller boards if it can actually clearly push 240 Hz ...i'm just thinking aloud here..

KG-PRIME 90: Trust me, I was very slow and skeptical about this game. I tried the beta and instantly fell in love with it. Even then, I wait until after reviews and the initial mess of launch hype and server crowd to die out. Even after all that, I still really like this game. I definitely did not like WoW and I'm surprised I'm even playing Overwatch, but I keep coming back to it!

I really would not trust the data on that site. The monitor has issues doing 144hz properly, as it skips 1 out 5 frames. I tried it again and started to get a central eye strain headache again.
240hz is not available to even test it and also 3D is not capable as I have tried.
Again, 120hz looks perfect. This is really all I need anyways!

Frame skipping test:

120hz

2016-06-21 20.03.21[0].jpg

144hz (Test skips every 6 frames) Please check with Wayne Cheah as his panel has no judder on 144hz, so he might not have frame skip.

2016-06-21 20.08.12[1].jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: igluk
like this
Are you using the monitor with DVI or DisplayPort? I reckon you can get 144hz working without frame skipping if it is indeed frame skipping by the sound of it, by using a shorter cable like 3 feet short. I know when i had my korean monitor i was able to get 100hz over a 5ft cable on the overclock, going to a 3 ft cable got me an extra 3hz, so its very possible that the cable could be at fault here.

Also the monitor is PWM free correct? Have you tested it across its entire brightness spectrum with your phone camera pointed at it to pick up any PWM lines? I think the chinese advertisement/description mentions DC current which i can only imply means its flicker free.

Oh I'm running DVI. I think i should run the test again with DISPLAYPORT Cable!

I have tried 50 brightness (which is 190cdm2) and 36 brightness (118dcd/m) and 20 brightness (forgot luminance) but there is NO PWM.

Try lower than 20 and see if its still PWM free. The FG2421 has some PWM below 20% brightness only as pointed out in the TFT Central review of that monitor. I know they dont use the same panel, but still couldn't hurt to be sure.

KG-PRIME 90: Trust me, I was very slow and skeptical about this game. I tried the beta and instantly fell in love with it. Even then, I wait until after reviews and the initial mess of launch hype and server crowd to die out. Even after all that, I still really like this game. I definitely did not like WoW and I'm surprised I'm even playing Overwatch, but I keep coming back to it!

I really would not trust the data on that site. The monitor has issues doing 144hz properly, as it skips 1 out 5 frames. I tried it again and started to get a central eye strain headache again.
240hz is not available to even test it and also 3D is not capable as I have tried.
Again, 120hz looks perfect. This is really all I need anyways!

Frame skipping test:

120hz

View attachment 4450

144hz (Test skips every 6 frames) Please check with Wayne Cheah as his panel has no judder on 144hz, so he might not have frame skip.

View attachment 4451

Hmn. Yeah, that's skipping. Here's the official pdf on that panel is question though btw, not that it's the panel in this monitor. If it's skipping at 144Hz ( in my less than laymen understanding ) it just means the controller is not allowing it to do 144Hz proper. EDIT( or cable as was posted before i hit reply ) It's a 120Hz panel, however with the right controller it can do 240Hz in 3D.
http://www.huayilcd.com/UploadFiles/20150617105200718.pdf

"This open cell can display 120Hz image in 2D mode and 240Hz image in 3D mode by using LQ0DZC0051(LR388H5)Timing control IC that sharp specifies."

If it can accept cirthxs controller, it should push 240Hz regardless. Again, still reading...

Try lower than 20 and see if its still PWM free. The FG2421 has some PWM below 20% brightness only as pointed out in the TFT Central review of that monitor. I know they dont use the same panel, but still couldn't hurt to be sure.

OH I didn't use this test, I used one app I saw somewhere (I can't find it now) and it totally got different results.

Sorry to say, but this monitor shows 16 lines of PWM. I m guessing my shutter is defaulted at 25 so 25x16=400Hz .
I tried this at 0 bright, 20 and 50, max. It's all the same

400 is pretty high and doesn't seem to bother me. Notebookcheck says 400hz is the threshold amount that it won't bother most people. I just checked other sites and 400hz is the highest PWM can do and desirable that it's rare it should bother anyone.
2016-06-21 21.09.04.jpg

Damn, that put me off the monitor because i know i would be running it that low of a brightness and i just want to avoid PWM displays altogether. I run my display at 80 nits which is 9 brightness for me. I'm using an XB241H which is indeed a TN, but I got a real keeper as you can see here from my calibrated results: Acer Predator XB241H Gsync

Color accuracy is absolutely phenomenal for a TN display, contrast is about average if not maybe slightly above average for a TN, and overall its a quality panel. Viewing angles aren't strong as you'd expect from a TN, but i must say that they're fairly good on this particular monitor and i'm not bothered by it ever unless im on a really bright white page and see some minor yellowing at the edges. My biggest complaint is by far the super thick matte coating on this thing, its the other thing that really gets to me again on whiter backgrounds where the sparkle effect is most visible.

I've removed matte coatings on previous displays before with success but i had an XB240H before this and i attempted to do that with that monitor and ended up actually cracking the LCD and destroying the monitor entirely. Whatever they used to bond the matte coating on to the lcd was no longer soluble with water so i couldn't peel the thing off. I'm not going to risk messing this new one up so i'm either stuck with this awful matte coating, or i go return this while i still have time and just splurge on the XB271HU which has a much lighter AG on top of being 1440p 27" and IPS. That last part with it being IPS is what worries me because of the IPS glow which i absolutely despise.

I just wish we could already get OLED monitors for PCs so i can put LCD problems behind me, but theres still a bit of a wait for that before it happens.

The 240hz is just the black frame insertion in 3d mode to smooth things out, its not doing true 240hz.

Right, I understand that's what the Foris does, and perhaps this panel does as well with the specified alternate controller in the pdf.
I switched gears mid flight. See my last sentence in that post, forget all the stuff before it, forgive me, i'm thinking and posting at the same time...
What i'm getting at is, If this panel can accept Cirthixs controller it can do 240Hz regardless. I'm trying to understand the connector type, lol. I should just ask him...
No-latency overclockable (up to 1080p@~270Hz) monitor controller board

So I looked at display port vs dvi-d 1080p 144hz and other sites, it says DVI is fully capable of 144hz. I don't think this is the problem, it just can't keep the frame rate

Yes dual link dvi is very much capable of delivering 144hz just fine @ 1080p, but being that this is a chinese monitor and its overall quality is questionable we cant rule out the possibility that the DVI port may somewhat defective as unlikely as it may be, or the cable is simply to blame. Cant hurt to get a displayport cable at some point if you dont have one laying around for immediate testng and try to test for frame skipping again over DP just to verify that the monitor itself is having a problem and its not a cable issue.

Reactions: igluk
like this
That's not how the Testufo PWM test works, only a pursuit photo will show whether it has PWM or not.
With PWM the line seperation should be detected by your eyes while following the line. Without PWM the moving line is smoothly blurred.
Like this

900x900px-LL-b3e4f0fa_SLnYbhE.jpeg

Besides, the Eizo uses 18kHz PWM at low brightness, which isn't detectable by camera and eyes anyway

The contrast hotspotting posted on the previous page happens on every VA panel to some degree due to gamma shift behaviour. (some are better than others in that regard but it always happens)
It's just the camera greatly exaggerates the effect.

Last edited:
This may confirm that the panel in the X3 is indeed LK235D3HA0S http://www.itocp.com/bbs/data/attachment//forum/201407/31/18570138g77upgfwxj44g8.jpg [Post #5 - chenxq0501] 为游戏而生,HKC X3专业游戏显示器评测 - 玩家堂
So then it would be an 8 bit panel ( 6bit+frc ) not 10 bit, and at least 3D capable - apparently not enabled on this monitor or whatever, and not the panel found in the Foris.

Funny translating the comments, they are bitching about the weak review and the exaggerated panel specs stating 100% sRGB, 10bit, asking why the panel is being called pva instead of mva, and the review didn't actually test 144Hz, lol.

I'm also thinking it's most likely that the guy who did the video was frame skipping at 144Hz, and that it's just not as noticeable in games as it is in the blur busters test, didn't see if you tried 144Hz in game at all Danzo

Absorbing the pdf and reading, i've learned a little bit, i didn't quite get what the components did or how these things worked exactly, basically just took a crash course.

There is no "separate" chip for the tcon, the numbers were the same it was just repeated twice and i assumed they were different as the way it was worded seemed to imply that to me.

"The following contents can be achieved in using LQ0DZC0051 (LR388H5) Timing control IC that sharp specifies. And in order to improve the response time of LCD [.blahblah.....] This open cell can display 120Hz image in 2D mode and 240Hz image in 3D mode by using LQ0DZC0051 (LR388H5) Timing control IC that sharp specifies."

I'm thinking cirthix board would not work with this either. Not that anyone was asking. But i'm going to ask him anyway, because i been wanting to get a panel and buy one of his boards.

Last edited:
This may confirm that the panel in the X3 is indeed LK235D3HA0S http://www.itocp.com/bbs/data/attachment//forum/201407/31/18570138g77upgfwxj44g8.jpg [Post #5 - chenxq0501] 为游戏而生,HKC X3专业游戏显示器评测 - 玩家堂
So then it would be an 8 bit panel ( 6bit+frc ) not 10 bit, and at least 3D capable - apparently not enabled on this monitor or whatever, and not the panel found in the Foris.

Thanks, that is very much confirming the panel used.
Is it possible to get to that menu screen without a special button combination? I wonder if HKC updated anything since this was taken back in 2014.

There's still a small possibility cirthix board might work. Best to ask and show the datasheet.
Didn't he get the VG278HE to do 240hz? Very impressive. It was using an Innolux panel that also had a native 120hz spec.
But native 240hz monitors are upcoming anyway, only TN so far though.

Last edited:
danzo could you do test on this website to see your reaction time Human Benchmark - Reaction Time Test, maybe test it like 10-15 times and see what is average your reaction time, mine is about 200-215ms average lowest was 167ms

I don't know how accurate that thing could be taken seriously. Browser can come into play, and a faster monitor will obviously help, but i did 14ms and 26ms on a few being ultra twitchy but my average is 202ms out of 5 and 220ms out of 10. I'm on a fairly laggy 10 year old 120 dollar cheap 60Hz Tn panel.

...I also have 143 tabs open...

Last edited:
I don't know how accurate that thing could be taken seriously. Browser can come into play, and a faster monitor will obviously help, but i did 14ms and 26ms on a few being ultra twitchy but my average is 202ms out of 5 and 220ms out of 10. I'm on a fairly laggy 10 year old 120 dollar cheap 60Hz Tn panel.

...I also have 143 tabs open...
im just wondering to see the numbers but anything can come into play i know, but i feel it is atleast should give me a hint of its input lag or something. haha

Malinkadink:

As I believe I have said? I inititally previewed my monitor at
144hz w/Displayport cable, but I thought it was too sharp--
But the problem wasn't that, but it was not calibrated. Some
screens look too sharp or blurry if not calibrated , I didn't know
But I did run a test before and the vertical judder
occured on UFO test, so 144hz is still not valid either way.

I once considered to remove AG coatings since I hate them
so much, but then I came to my senses and realized that
they were bonded to the polarizing filter at different levels
depending on manufacturer. Then what do you do about cleaning it?
Who sells a glossy screen 3H screen protector to replace it?
I'm really sorry u did that! I like modding stuff, but I'm glad
i dodged that bullet.

KG PRIME - Another thing as I have said, I am not comfy in modding
my monitor. Especially since this monitor is not easy to obtain
But that seems pretty nice. Why don't one of you buy a 24"
OLED SONY 1080p and mod it to 120-240hz? It would kill this HKC.
THe last one was bid on for $2000 :p
Or you could try it on an LG OLED TV. It's not that
easy once u realize its someones money invested or time.
But really, be nice if someone did and posted it for us :p

IGLUK: So i did the screen PWM test wrong? Anyways, I stare
at this monitor for 12-18 hours a day outside of my usual
day to day life. It is EASILY more comfortable to view
at compared to a CRT @60-75hz.
I have not seen others complain about eye fatigue either.

Ottersor: Human Benchmark test: This is not a great test
for Monitor input lag as a difference of 20ms over your normal time
Is hard to detect.

Well I have an avg of 200ms on the IPS and lately
i have been doing that Human Benchmark test since I got the screen
On a regular basis.. I can get 40-67ms on fastest, and
yes that's being ultra twitchy and actually SEEING it turn green
not blindling hitting it. I averaged 170ms and the other
tests were around 190-200ms. I really don't think there is
Anything real to test here. You can't really tell which screen is faster.
Now i'd need a TN to compare.

What we really need is a gray test. Those damn Battlefield 4 soldiers are always
GRAY and completely just pop in and out of walls . A lot of me playing in game
is getting killed and suddenly the player appearing. This Human Benchmark test
Isn't gonna help me fix that type of death =/

You know what will really screw up this test though?
My Mom's Dell I5 5558 Notebook. I can't get any higher than 300ms
No matter how twitchy I am. I would click and you can see
It actually delaying before registering.
Another thing that kills this test is my Perixx II B 2000 Mouse.
I think its really defective. I always got 250-300ms no matter waht
Tho This test isn't really a valid test, you can still
get some idea about how things feel. Either of these Laptops and
Mice are absolutely atrocious in game.

^Yeah, but you should still be able to tell from looking at it with your eyes. If it has PWM then the line in motion will not be smoothly blurred.
But I don't believe the screen has PWM (or a very high frequency) - if it had a lower (<500hz) frequency PWM it would probably have shown up in the video review.

You have problems with gray soldiers popping out of walls, you can doctor the gamma curve with Calibrilla.
Find the luminance level(s) of gray or of some other colour used on the soldiers then completely skew only these level(s) in an extreme way. It will cause bright or colored artifacts then you can easily spot them.
Feels like cheating though and messes with the graphics. ;)

Who sells a glossy screen 3H screen protector to replace it?

Photodon.com sells glossy protectors but it is probably not worth the hassle and the wet towel method does not work on every screen.

Last edited:
^Yeah, but you should still be able to tell from looking at it with your eyes. If it has PWM then the line in motion will not be smoothly blurred.
But I don't believe the screen has PWM (or a very high frequency) - if it had a lower (<500hz) frequency PWM it would probably have shown up in the video review.

You have problems with gray soldiers popping out of walls, you can doctor the gamma curve with Calibrilla.
Find the luminance level(s) of gray or of some other colour used on the soldiers then completely skew only these level(s) in an extreme way. It will cause bright or colored artifacts then you can easily spot them.
Feels like cheating though and messes with the graphics. ;)

Ok so my phone setting can't take the picture then :p Oh, i tried this with other instances on other screens and it does the same thing, so I consider my test INVALID.

Haha! Well players have always been looking for ways to get advantages in game such as turning up brightness to max is really the oldest trick---but that does nothing but reduce contrast and makes all the blacks and gray look even more the same, and it make visibility worse. Most of these gamers are on uncalibrated screens so really they have idea what they are talking about. I think I might try that , but I don't know. Won't this screw up my calibration I worked so hard to get in my i1 Display pro?

A lot of the problem in game is two fold: Battlefield 4 made the entire game (indoors especially) gray and more gray. The enemy team is entirely monotone, including their hands and face. It even gets worse when you get shot and then the entire screen is grayer than gray..
The 2nd issue is horrible netcode and ping. Even when I have good ping, the other player might not, and he will just suddenly pop in and out like popcorn. I'd shoot a full mag dump into him and my Pc would let me know he shot me back once with his M416 and I'm dead.
I'm glad Overwatch has none of this BS.

Another trick that's hard to detect. LOL this player muzzle flash was blending into the overhead light, so I didn't react quick enough. If you slowed down the footage, the muzzle flash covered his entire body including his legs .. (also didn't have that nice red dorito on him).

BF4_NEW.mp4_20160414_183024.734.jpg

KG PRIME - Another thing as I have said, I am not comfy in modding
my monitor. Especially since this monitor is not easy to obtain
But that seems pretty nice. Why don't one of you buy a 24"
OLED SONY 1080p and mod it to 120-240hz? It would kill this HKC.
THe last one was bid on for $2000 :p
Or you could try it on an LG OLED TV. It's not that
easy once u realize its someones money invested or time.
But really, be nice if someone did and posted it for us :p

Oh i wasn't suggesting you do it, and i wasn't asking to open your monitor up. If you wanted to you would have already.
But we know the panel being used in it now so it clears up some facts. Just adding to the discussion that's all. If it was in fact possible i might try it, or maybe someone reading it might, just putting it out there.

Anyway. I feel like i am no closer to picking a monitor, lol. My choices right now are None, or the Acer Xb24 that Malikadink has, the Foris, the X3 or the Acer XB271HU. The XB271HU being the one i keep leaning to the most because in the end i need color accuracy and speed. I do more 3d stuff/Ut mapping than actual gaming and, well at least i have started up again and that was my priority, so having something that is cutting edge and a lot of people are using helps with testing real world performance, and 1 monitor is all i can justify at the moment.

Also 21:9 1440p Va panels are coming. No doubt with issues, but perhaps i should just wait, or go crazy, ahahahaha

There were a few times over the last 2 years i almost pulled the trigger on the Foris. I wanted to be prepared for the worst if my fw900's died and well, now i am in that position. I almost am thinking on just buying the Foris, even with the known issues, just because of the 5 year warranty. I imagine the X3 is capable of having the same issues on a bad sample as well.

Also i found the Foris and the X3 have the same LCD driver board, and chip (LR388H5)Timing control IC but perhaps a different version. Which is what is specified in the Panels pdf. There is no other board or chip specified anywhere that i can find that is compatible with the panel, so it seems tailor made to it being a Sharp branded controller.

X3 timing control IC - Image borrowed from Panel Look
1344822214.jpg.big.jpg

Foris Timing Control IC - Image borrowed from Display - Corner
EIZO_FORIS_FG2421_Signal_converter_(covered).jpg

I would still think perhaps the X3 has a good possibility to have less input lag than the Foris as there is no doubt less processing going on in the X3 by not having "240" strobing mode ect.

Anyway...

I'm pretty sure the Vizio M43 has about the same input lag as the Foris.
18,5ms with Bodnar translates to a pure signal processing delay of ~8ms (since Leo Bodnar middle bar readings usually never go below 10ms)
But I don't know how accurate this timer method pictured above is. Like Danzo said - phone camera, possible sync lag, and it's not SMTT, and also in an optimal case one compares to a CRT

Malinkadink:

Ottersor: Human Benchmark test: This is not a great test
for Monitor input lag as a difference of 20ms over your normal time
Is hard to detect.

Well I have an avg of 200ms on the IPS and lately
i have been doing that Human Benchmark test since I got the screen
On a regular basis.. I can get 40-67ms on fastest, and
yes that's being ultra twitchy and actually SEEING it turn green
not blindling hitting it. I averaged 170ms and the other
tests were around 190-200ms. I really don't think there is
Anything real to test here. You can't really tell which screen is faster.
Now i'd need a TN to compare.

What we really need is a gray test. Those damn Battlefield 4 soldiers are always
GRAY and completely just pop in and out of walls . A lot of me playing in game
is getting killed and suddenly the player appearing. This Human Benchmark test
Isn't gonna help me fix that type of death =/

You know what will really screw up this test though?
My Mom's Dell I5 5558 Notebook. I can't get any higher than 300ms
No matter how twitchy I am. I would click and you can see
It actually delaying before registering.
Another thing that kills this test is my Perixx II B 2000 Mouse.
I think its really defective. I always got 250-300ms no matter waht
Tho This test isn't really a valid test, you can still
get some idea about how things feel. Either of these Laptops and
Mice are absolutely atrocious in game.

atm the input lag and the response rate of the screen just worries me, scared that its just noticeable for me from moving to benqxl2411z to the hkc x3. other than that i have trouble still selling of my benq.

[QUOTE="KG-Prime90, .[/QUOTE]
Hey man I know i know :p . I do think it would be some amazing monitor to mod an OLED, which response time would be phenomenal.
But why are you conflcted on the HKC x3? ... I feel there are two-three routes for monitors. I chose path 1.

1. HI Contrast/Hi Color accuracy/Hi Speed /Mid ppi (HKC x3, Eizo fg2421, Sony 24" Pro Oled)

2. Mid/lLO contrast/Hi Color accuracy/hi speed/HI PPI (27" 1440p , 4k etc.)

3. 21:9 ratio/mid contrast/hi ppi/mid-hi speed

So i just figure you need to get the best of a monitor's category.

Examples of what's NOT the best of category

1: Dell u2417HJ . This monitor is good and decent, but not good enough. 1228:1 CR/ 0.4 delta/ 1080p-24"/
It doesn't fit well in Cat 1 or Cat 2.

2. Another example: 27" 1080p VA panel. This one is low ppi and also doesn't fit as best in cat 1 or cat 2.
3. Another example: 24-27" 1080p TN panel, (low contrast/low color acc/high speed/mid ppi
This option is a one trick pony and isn't a great one where now you can get fast IPS screens

Most people choose category 2, that HIGH PPI is well desirable .

IGLUK: U have seen a test with bodnar for Vizio m43? Rtings uses bodnar?

Last edited:
I recently ordered a replacement panel for my cracked xb240h, should have it in a week or two. Cost me about $27 for the panel, and i'm sure shipping will be another $30-40 from china. Well worth it to fix the damn thing and sell it now that i have this xb271hu in front of me.

Yes, all TV reviewing sites use the Leo Bodnar Lag tester. The displaylag database as well.
Ok, I never noticed they mentioned that.

Malinkadink: U know how to replace the panel inside? I reckon its a bit harder than a laptop but if its easy enough on y ours that's a lot cheaper than laptop screen replacements. But 27.00? Think about how much the LCD is marked up. 500.00 on Amazon for the whole monitor. It's "Gamers" and artificial
manipulation of demand .

If people keep paying 500-800 for outdated LCD tech and gsync then why are they gonna release OLED panels sooner?

The costs of TVs are much lower and similar monitors in China going for like 1/4 the cost here.
Really, tho u paid 27 and shipping you will still get some good money back on Ebay because
people are willing to pay for monitors sky high price .

Last edited:
Ok, I never noticed they mentioned that.

Malinkadink: U know how to replace the panel inside? I reckon its a bit harder than a laptop but if its easy enough on y ours that's a lot cheaper than laptop screen replacements. But 27.00? Think about how much the LCD is marked up. 500.00 on Amazon for the whole monitor. It's "Gamers" and artificial
manipulation of demand .

If people keep paying 500-800 for outdated LCD tech and gsync then why are they gonna release OLED panels sooner?

The costs of TVs are much lower and similar monitors in China going for like 1/4 the cost here.
Really, tho u paid 27 and shipping you will still get some good money back on Ebay because
people are willing to pay for monitors sky high price .

The prices for the XB240H dont really make sense out there for "new" ones. Its discontinued and replaced by the XB241H which adds in HDMI and sells for $350-400 new. I'm sure that replacing the panel won't be harder than plugging in all the necessary cables from the controller board and snapping the bezel and enclosure back on. There was like 3 or 4 cables i had to undo which was easy enough so it's gonna be like a 2 minute job once i get the panel here :)

Alright, time for me to show up.

Hi guys, I'm Wayne, the guy who uploaded his video on YouTube regarding this monitor. I believe it is time to clear some things up and increase the amount of test unit from just Danzo's to his and mine together as well. This should eliminate any doubts of it being a specific unit-only issue or otherwise.

Few things from my end:

1. Issue of frame skipping - at this point I am still quite confused as to how to ascertain whether am is there or is there not any frame skipping issues present in this monitor. To the untrained eye - it doesn't appear so. To my eyes, I still don't see it. However, I must note that I haven't done more than an hour's worth of research when it comes to this specific topic. In my opinion, this is a rather hard to notice issue and should not matter to an everyday gamer who is just looking to go beyond 60hz

2. Many potential owners are reading this thread and some had approached me to run some browser-powered benchmarking tests. I am not too familiar on this issue and would like to ask for your opinions, are they even passable to be deemed accurate? I am afraid that my rig is causing for a slower/more conflicted browser which results in a more inaccurate benchmark)

3. Trying to link up with Ottersor who lives in my city to come over to my place and have two sets of eyeballs to scrutinize the HKC X3 in further detail. - Could you guys recommend us on a list of tasks to do to further understand this monitor? I even have a displayport cable standing by (following malin's suggestion)

4. I haven't been able to use the HKC X3 for more than 10 hours in the last few weeks since I uploaded that video onto YouTube - reason being, some people are rushing to get their hands on a unit and are alright with taking away my own unit ('cuz you gotta wait for a week for it to arrive from the supplier in China to my doorstep in Kuala Lumpur). I really miss the depth of blacks and rich in contrast of this HKC monitor as compared to my Dell U2312HM IPS display, it's just a whole different playing field.

5. Confirmed as far as I can tell: definitely the 144hz is consistent with the specs (citing one of my buyers who is coming from his 120hz Korean panel - Qnix 2710 I believe). Response time (GTG) is definitely 1ms and is worlds away better than my U2312HM's 5ms. Makes a huge difference in Dota 2 gaming for me.

One other thing: based on all the impressive amounts of depth the forumers here have gone into the monitor, as a person who is not too focused onto the hardware and a lot more into the value this monitor has to offer. Where I'm at, retail prices of tech items are roughly 10~15% higher priced than they are at Best Buy, Amazon in the US. Which is absurd considering that we're way closer to mainland China than the rest of the world is. Hell, we even have a Dell display manufacturing plant here in Malaysia, yet our prices are about 50 US $ higher than Newegg's pricing, preposterous.

I believe (meaning no offense, what you guys are doing here is seriously great work), the discussions entailed in this thread, as the forum name suggests, is very very focused onto the hardware's internal side of things. It seems to me that we have discovered a few minor spec inconsistencies (in regards to 3D-ready, bits). However, things like this to the everyday gamer (especially one who is finally getting his hands on a higher end graphics card thanks to Nvidia and AMD's new line of cards making price/performance ratios awesome) it shouldn't affect your decision much. Especially so when considering that spec-wise, this monitor still triumphs over the BenQ XL2411z that retails at USD300 (RM1200 roughly) over here. With the rival monitor that has a more comparable spec to the HKC X3 being priced at roughly 400 dollars (RM1600), this is really no-brainer case. Although of course, if you're in the States or elsewhere like Danzo, having to pay 277 USD (though you're still getting a superior VA panel for the price of a TN such as the XL2411Z) then perhaps more thought should be put into this to weigh the pros and cons of going through the trouble for the HKC display.

P/S: Being a Chinese diasporan who is ashamed of mainland Chinese people, I am still extremely impressed at how much they have improved (although still a long way to go) over the years. Consumerism is on the rise in China and buyers are getting more rights than ever before. Things like this just allows for awesome discoveries especially for those who want more quality stuff and paying less at the same time.

Hi Wayne!
To ascertain whether it skips frames at 144hz use this test:
Blur Busters UFO Motion Tests

Set display brightness very low and then make a photo with long exposure capturing as many lit squares as possible.
Dropped frames will show up as gaps
Example:

Chrome is accurate enough for all browser based tests

Sorry for slow replies: I had some annoying BSODs but they are resolved now.

WAYNE: dude, I totally agree. This monitor is the BEST VALUE. There is NO TN and FEW IPS that have this picture quality in the same screen size. I keep ranking up in my games, so i see no performance penalties but only positives.

I really would not trade this for ANY TN ever.
Even with shipping, there is no better alternative for price. The Benq? Nope, not a fat chance. Even if it only does 120hz , it does 120hz perfectly without any tearing. I have seen the 144hz Asus and Benq in person, they did not impress me at all and I was confused how someone would accept this visual quality for a few ms of speed.

I can run tests all day, but until you see it in person you will surely not believe me. But anyways, just cause you got Air Jordan's on doesn't mean its going to improve your game.

Thanks for stopping by!

Last edited:
You guys are making me very tempted to still take the dive with this monitor >.< I want to put the IPS glow and crappy black levels behind me already.

Back