My HKC X3 144hz 1ms hi contrast VA panel is in!

DanzoMeteor

Weaksauce
FINAL REVIEW post 48
My HKC X3 144hz 1ms hi contrast VA panel is in!

Well guys, I went to some type of 3rd dimensional hell to get this but it's here :D
I'll leave some pics and impressions

I actually discovered this monitor here. Some people were trying to get it but didn't go through the hassle. I went through 5 stores and 4 of them were horrible for various reasons.

Specs: (These i tested and confirmed)

-Sharp Panel
23.5" 1080p
10 bit (well no source and gfx to confirm this but its stated)
VA panel 5000:1
144hz, 1ms
Adjustable height, tilt, portrait mode
-English menu was found after fiddling yay

The Hell

First I tried Shop China (as in the first thread of HKC x3). Their shipping rates seemed too unbelievable, but since their monitor price was a little higher than taomall, I figured it was added on. But seemed like a lot less hassle to just click, buy and wait. NOT! They told me that the item is fragile and won't guarantee its safety.

Second I tried Yoybuy.com . They told me through chat that they first said they could ship it to me , then they changed their mind after I paid it and said "Do you agree that this item is fragile and if it breaks you will pursue getting a refund ?"
I quickly cancelled that but I had to wait for my money back

Third, I tried yoycart. I pretty much had the same hassle as the first one, and also a pretty high price. They couldn't double box it and gave me a high quote.

Then I tried taobaoring. This time I went to the chat online and they just flat out said NO we will not ship the item. The price

The next one was Taobaocart. Well the price was high compared to the rest, but then again I thought no one would ship it to me. The man through email agreed so I went through the process. He would NOT choose any of the Tmall stores that I chose, but chose his. $250 for his choice. The DHL shipping (not including extra packing) and paypal fees, Dhgate fees, commission added up to $397. I tried to pay anyways, but my bank, Western Union and Paypal, DHGate all alerted me that night that this seller was a fraud and they didnt charge my bank.

Then I tried Yoycart. I just inquired and they said they would deliver, but their commission and service wasn't as good as what was already under way at the same time...

DOT DOT BUY. A Chinese only website. I thought I had no hope in working this one out! But praise God, it did.
I went through the tutorial on reddit and saw they had some decent reviews. I just linked the page to the top bar, hit add to cart and buy. The price of the Monitor base price was a very l ow $133usd. I then chatted thru the online chat and asked for English and they were nice that they could do that. They said they didn't have bubble wrap, but they could double box the item and find something to put inside. After I had clicked buy, It took me to pay via paypal (all in Chinese again) But thank God for Google translate page!

Then I received an email where I translated as they asked me to confirm that its a monitor and would need special care. I said OK and they had it shipped to their warehouse. I just went to the main page to get updates daily after this email. After 2 days they got it in and packed it up. They gave me the DHL quotes. Now take note that if u go on DHL yourself, it would cost $433 usd without a business account. Typically, these taobao sellers ask $162 for this size of package. However, DDB asked for $142 as a complimentary discount. A few hours later, i saw that it was 0% commission rate weekend and I would receive NO fees whatsoever.

They had this packed up and it asked me if i wanted special care extra box packaging. Usually this is an extra charge but they didn't ask for that either, and they absorbed both paypal fees for the 2 transactions.
I then received the Monitor 3 days later and the whole process of completion was 7 days.

For $277 I received a TN price panel for what is basically the younger brother to Eizo Fg2421
After almost getting swindled, I got a good deal. They even threw me in an Extended Razer mouse pad, those things don't go cheap here so that's nice.

Now, NVidia driver had reset the values to 16-235 and it looked horrible. I had changed that back in both areas of the Nvidia Control panel to 0-255 and we're doing good.

I don't know how to really calibrate and test this since i don't have the Calibrator . But if you want to guide me, please do. I'll be responsive :)

2016-05-17 07.59.00.jpg 2016-05-16 14.05.23.jpg 2016-05-16 14.10.55.jpg 2016-05-16 14.12.42.jpg 2016-05-16 20.24.34.jpg 2016-05-17 11.55.58.jpg
2016-05-16 14.24.58.jpg

Last edited:
2016-05-16 18.44.43.jpg 2016-05-16 19.53.51.jpg 2016-05-16 19.55.33 (1).jpg

Console gaming works out quite nicely here, the fast reaction time really helps pulling off those kills.

Note: My 24" Korean IPS monitor could not show the PS3 menus but could only play the game itself.

Looking nice. Same semi-glossy coating as the FG2421.
How is red colour displaying? Looks good enough on the screenshots. The Eizo had some problems with that
Does it accept custom resolutions at anything higher than 144hz? (since SHARP LK235D3HA0S Overview - Panelook.com is listed as 240hz on panelook)
Does it have problems with black crush? Black level - Lagom LCD test
Does it produce any trails on the Ufo? Blur Busters UFO Motion Tests (for a pursuit photo 1/36 sec exposure at 144hz)

Looking nice. Same semi-glossy coating as the FG2421.
How is red colour displaying? Looks good enough on the screenshots. The Eizo had some problems with that
Does it accept custom resolutions at anything higher than 144hz? (since SHARP LK235D3HA0S Overview - Panelook.com is listed as 240hz on panelook)
Does it have problems with black crush? Black level - Lagom LCD test
Does it produce any trails on the Ufo? Blur Busters UFO Motion Tests (for a pursuit photo 1/36 sec exposure at 144hz)

I really need a calibrator. If i put it on Gamma 2, then it will show all the squares, but the temp will be slightly too blue. I can't adjust it since I'm using the WARM preset, not the user. The Warm preset i+Gamma 1 is ALMOST perfect but it needs tweaking. ..but you can't tweak it in presets mode.

In User, i can tweak the values to be identical to any preset, but I get eye fatigue and my eyes don't adjust quickly enough to change the the colors appropriately. A lot of bright monitor lights into y our eyes will do that to you!

In the Blur busters, I don't have a camera, just a cell phone. But I finally can see the dudes eyeballs clearly! There is some slight artifacts around the end of his ufo, but definitely no trails. This is an OD monitor so there's some artifacting. Not noticeable at all in CSGO or Bf4 though.

Sounds pretty good so far.
Maybe you will eventually find good User values, otherwise you could also try to tweak gamma parameters per colour channel with Nvidia driver.

Sounds pretty good so far.
Maybe you will eventually find good User values, otherwise you could also try to tweak gamma parameters per colour channel with Nvidia driver.
Oh I forgot to answer. It only goes up to 144hz and that's overdriven. You can't turn off OD though. This info needs to be updated or it may be a different panel.
Take note the AG coating on this screen is like holographic polarized. It seems to be contributing to the "tunnel" vision gamma shift. My Vizio also has Semi gloss coating but the screen uniformity is better due to the coating. Well this is a theory. I think if it was removed it might be better. I guess its a small price to pay. I mean with the IPS I have, you don't have this issue, but you have other issues.

yea good idea, I may use the Nvidia software :p

EDIT: OH yes and NO DEAD or stuck pixels!

Last edited:
does this have some kind of blur reduction or no?
It does not have ULMB or Blur reduction. Be nice if it did but alas it does not.
There is no Gsync/Free sync either but I haven't seen a single frame tear yet. I don't know why I don't see tearing, do you? I didnt get tearing anymore even on my 60hz monitor. It suddenly stopped happening a few mos ago. Maybe Nvidia driver update?

tearing is impossible to notice at 120 Hz with sample and hold. i use ULMB though and it's extremely noticeable (microstutters, too), only downside to it really.

tearing is impossible to notice at 120 Hz with sample and hold. i use ULMB though and it's extremely noticeable (microstutters, too), only downside to it really.
Ic, that helps to know!

BTW, I'm not sure yet since I had too many variables during my use, but It seems that using 120hz instead of 144hz reduces artifacts and product less central headache when viewing. I'll turn it back and make sure it wasn't some other setting.

Congrats for the monitor :)

I have a FG2421 (no fault unit) and I love it. It doesnt do 144hz, but it does 120hz with storbing. I would love if someone releases a mix between yours and the FG2412 with freesync/gsync.

I have a FG2421 (no fault unit) and I love it. It doesnt do 144hz, but it does 120hz with storbing. I would love if someone releases a mix between yours and the FG2412 with freesync/gsync.

Well, the OD on this monitor is just a cheat. I did the UFO blur test multiple times and found the 120hz is MUCH smoother. The 144hz was jittering the ufo up and down , it gave me a headache. I have been using 120 and the headaches are gone now from typical usage. I checked on TFTcentral and it seems all out of the 10 screens i looked at, the 144hz vs 120 h z setting on the monitors out there don't make much a difference , or some cases WORSE in the UFO tests. There's no way to change the OD setting, but setting the GPU to 120hz seems to solve all the issues anyways.

Anyways, I had a great game in Bf4 last night, Tracking those enemies were just smooooth as butter :D

I tried to take some footage tests for PWM at the two refresh rates, but didn't find any.

Sounds like it is dropping frames at 144hz. There is also a frameskipping test on Blurbusters.
Maybe it is using the 120hz, 8bit+FRC FG2421 panel after all. (LQ235D1LW03) The Playstation 3D Monitor was definitely using the LK235D3.

Our best hope right now is the Lenovo Y27g and Y27f, but aside from a paper launch, there has been squat on these monitors.

Well guys, i found sound something that i totally missed in the translation of the webpages.

This monitor is WIDE GAMUT .

Tftcentral says there's no way around this. I think I may have to sell it. It's not useful for my needs.
Oh yes, the colors are better than any TN that is true even with this issue. Quickgamma allowed me to get 2.2 on the button, but the reds appear oversaturated. Turning them down will only make white balance incorrect . I can keep trying though.

Are you sure it is a wide gamut problem? Too bad you don't have calibration device then it would measure the panel's gamut coverage.

On the FG2421 exactly the opposite is the case, because it has a skewed gamut triangle with some red/magenta undersaturation. Maybe that's what you are seeing?
http://www.ixbt.com/monitor/eizo/fg2421/gamut.jpg
When calibrating there is a tendency to produce either a green shift in the white balance or to crush the upper red levels together.

Are you sure it is a wide gamut problem? Too bad you don't have calibration device then it would measure the panel's gamut coverage.

On the FG2421 exactly the opposite is the case, because it has a skewed gamut triangle with some red/magenta undersaturation. Maybe that's what you are seeing?
http://www.ixbt.com/monitor/eizo/fg2421/gamut.jpg
When calibrating there is a tendency to produce either a green shift in the white balance or to crush the upper red levels together.

Well, one page says it is. I didn't find it on the others . But when I did have the Dell 2407fwp, it was wide gamut and had similar colors where all the red was clipped and sent to 255 values. But if i try to reduce the red gamma, it affects the picture too much. The white point becomes very green but the red is lesser effected. Like there's a CURVE on solid colors vs white point.

谁能比我更强?HKC X3游戏专用显示器评测_显示器评测_太平洋电脑网PConline Try this page and then translate to english
The official website is here: 产品中心--惠科电子(深圳)有限公司

Btw, Chinese websites are VERY hard to find in google.

Well, I found this program called QUICKGAMMA
and then after the gamma curve was taken care of, I then didn't need to worry about saturation, so I turned down the reds in USER profile of my monitor..
Next step, I set Firefox to use Color tagging or set all untagged pictures to SRGB so it can be viewed correctly by Wide gamut or any other kind of srgb monitor.

I think I got it pretty acceptable without a X rite display pro. No more red overkill.
I'll need to buy one later though
I'm just using my IPS screens to compare with.

There is seriously nothing like the DELL glossy IPS screen on this laptop my Mom has. AG coating even the slightest still creates a "dry" image that isn't as clear. Even though this is one of the best AG semi gloss coatings you can get. Once I obtain a glossy 4k OLED 120hz monitor, (DELL)there will be me not leaving the house ever again.

-- There is some banding in the dark grey 80% regions of the Lagom tests. But this could be a number of calibration or video card reasons..

--------
ON another positive, gaming is just unreal on this thing. Following runners in Battlefield 4 is just too easy to get kills. Smoke is literally intoxicating to look at due to how smooth it is.

Last edited:
Hi there!

I am actually very interested in this monitor. I am living in Shanghai and will build a computer next month. I was originally looking for regular 1080p 60hz IPS monitors at around 140$ but I've stumbled on the HKC X3 and it has the price here (899 yuan on jd.com for example).

Looking at all its feature, I am obviously very interested in it as I will be using it mainly for gaming (games like Overwatch, Battlefield 1, Dark Souls 3, The Witcher 3, Fallout 4). I can't manage to find any English reviews on the HKC X3 (I am not aware yet about reputable Chinese hardware websites and such) so here I am asking for your advice!

I am actually having difficulties to fully understand your discussion about colors, gamma and AG coating, but it seems that with some proper tweaking you can have a good experience with it right?

Would you recommend it at a 140$ price tag despite the flaws that you are discovering?

Thanks!

Hi there!

I am actually very interested in this monitor. I am living in Shanghai and will build a computer next month. I was originally looking for regular 1080p 60hz IPS monitors at around 140$ but I've stumbled on the HKC X3 and it has the price here (899 yuan on jd.com for example).

Looking at all its feature, I am obviously very interested in it as I will be using it mainly for gaming (games like Overwatch, Battlefield 1, Dark Souls 3, The Witcher 3, Fallout 4). I can't manage to find any English reviews on the HKC X3 (I am not aware yet about reputable Chinese hardware websites and such) so here I am asking for your advice!

I am actually having difficulties to fully understand your discussion about colors, gamma and AG coating, but it seems that with some proper tweaking you can have a good experience with it right?

Would you recommend it at a 140$ price tag despite the flaws that you are discovering?

Thanks!

Hi, good to hear from you.
If you want this panel for Gaming , then look no further. This monitor was MADE FOR THAT. Everything else they tried to achieve against their competition , they did improve .
Such as if you were to get a TN panel; TN colors and contrast are totally atrocious, even the best ones. For some odd reason, they make higher contrast Tn panels for laptops. I've seen 2000:1 , but they don't exists for desktop.
I think even with un-calibrated, eyeball only colors this panel beats any calibrated TN panel that I've seen at lan parties and my friends house lol...

Like many monitors trying to push 144hz via OD, i don't recommend this setting and will tell you that 120hz is more stable in terms of headache-free viewing.

I play Battlefield regularly and the game really looks no worse or better than my IPS panel. The game is really a monotone game that has no benefit with colors, mainly with contrast and you can get that here. There's really no match to IPS in colors for monitors, except a handful of VA panels and Oled.
Yes, you can still get "usable" colors with this, but I'm very picky overall with that.

How much are 165hz IPS panels in Shanghai? They are overpriced here. This monitor cost me a ton to ship here.

I'll get back to you on colors soon. Ill get a calibration module in a bit. Y

Can y ou then answer my question , can you translate the page properly and tell me if this monitor is WIDE GAMUT or Srgb coverage? I know its 100% SRGb, But does it say anything that translates to "wide gamut?"
产品中心--惠科电子(深圳)有限公司

I wouldn't be too trusting with those specs, for one Sharp does not even make PVA panels - that's patented by Samsung.
Sharp UV2A panels are MVA + Ultraviolet photo-alignment. The FG2421 panel it is probably using is 8bit+FRC ("10-bit"). Its precursor panel is 6bit+FRC according to panelook.

PS I'm looking forward to your calibration device results

Last edited:
Level 1: CALIBRATION SETTINGS ARE IN

Ok guys, I picked up a SPYDER5Pro because that's all I could get in my area.
You can see here the triangle is skewed, but a bit less than the Eizo FG2421.

The Spyderpro, even tho it's up a level from express is just for n00bs. There's no analysis, and it didn't allow me to use my own RGB controls on my monitor. I would really want to see what RGB values I would insert and that way it wouldn't be OS dependent, as well as I could have correct color on ALL INPUTS.

The profile that was given is greatly improved in the gamma. From default USER these are the differences:

-Greatly reduced green saturation.
The triangle here you can see has very strong green saturation values, which had to be toned down.
-Red appears much different, less saturated but different in tone. Is it correct? It seems a hair bit yellow/orange.

-Pretty bright. It says 120cdm2, but it's very BLUE, so it feels a bit stronger. I am not sure I really believe this? It doesn't feel that comfortable, like looking into a lightbulb. I wonder if this calibrator is really off or I am just off...
-GAMMA is greatly improved. The gamma setting in the monitor is labeled 1 and 2, but not a number we can understand like 2.2. In addition,the monitor does not save the gamma setting when it cycles off to save power. So, the icc profile saves the gamma curve.

Are these colors much better than TN? Sure is. Does it have a yellow tinge like the Eizo? Sure does not.
Is it as good as an IPS or OLED or my Vizio VA? No..sadly. But it's a great gaming monitor.
I need to get a better calibrator and see how much I can fix here...

But without a correct Delta value graph, I'm still scratching my head.

How do I calibrate my TV (independently of needed a PC icc profile) with this?

Screen Shot 05-27-16 at 06.16 PM.PNG

Screen Shot 05-27-16 at 06.16 PM 002.PNG

Screen Shot 05-27-16 at 06.16 PM 001.PNG

I'm having trouble with the DisplayCAL. The whole calibration thing is grayed out. What do i do??

lastly, I'll return this when I can get my hands on an i1 Display Pro. This Spyder5pro is definitely NOT pro enough for me.
I don't see it any different from an express with 3-4 clicks , done.

Screen Shot 05-27-16 at 08.17 PM.PNG

Last edited:
To my "trained" eye, from A and B'ing my IPS screen to this, the red is the wrong color. It is slightly more cherry /hot rather than warm. This doesn't effect every red object, but you will notice it from time to time. This girl's (Seolhyun's) purse will display a perfect warm red on the IPS screens and slightly cherry on the HKC x3. However, the buttons on this website seem to look perfectly fine

.tumblr_o1paghiOt81ss09k4o1_1280.jpg

And for this example, with the IPS and HKC x3 both calibrated by Spyder5pro,
the IPS appears deep red, and the HKC as dark orange . I can still tell its red, but its more orange than the IPS calibration.

Red Lamborghini Aventador LP 700 wallpaper

UPDATE: Just checked my Mom's dell laptop IPS and the Lambo does appear slightly orange and the purse as a bit cherry.
Without delta values, I'm still in the dark.

Last edited:
First, lets I want to see some basic information about the monitor. Download HCFR from here
hcfr

This is a tool meant for calibrating TV's but nothing prevents it from being used on monitors. It does not create ICC profile either. Anyway, after installation start the program and choose an automatic generator. From the next tab choose your colorimeter. And from the next tab at the "Display Type" dropdown box choose the one that most closely resembles your monitor. LCD White LED or some such.

Now, we can do some measuring. HCFR should turn off all the ICC profiles and such but you should also turn your monitor into its default USER settings. On the toolbar above you see the color blobs. Click the one that says "Measure gray scale". Let your probe do the thing. Now you should see in the box the DeltaE of your uncalibrated monitor as well as black depth and contrast ratio. Please do post the screenshots of each phase we go, I am really interested what this monitor measures like. :)

Now that the grayscale is measured you can also see the gamma curve and RGB levels. At the toolbar you see a bunch of monitors, click the ones that say Gamma. By default HCFR is set to compare your result at BT1886 gamma curve that is the current standard for Video use. You can change it to Powerlaw 2.2 if you wish somewhere in the preferences but there is not much point, you can still see where the 2.2 level is. Anyway, if your monitor has different Gamma modes now you can change them. Every time you change it you have to measure grayscale again to see the changes obviously. Choose the one that is either closest to 2.2 or BT1886 to your tastes though most likely one setting is close enough to both.

Second click the monitor button that says RGB Levels. You see a bunch of lines that may not make much sense at first but when you change the RGB sliders in your monitor this is what you are adjusting and you are trying to make all lines run as closely on top of each other as possible. This affects the grayscale and color temperature of your monitor. Most monitors have only one set of RGB sliders which only affect the bright end. Most TV's have a set of two which control both bright and dark, and some have 10-way calibration where you can change the curve at every 10% step from black to white. Anyway, if you wish you can calibrate that now though that is bit a daunting task because you have to remeasure after every change. Better leave it for DisplayCAL. You can change the color temperature though and see which one has all the lines closest to the center 100%. This one should be the closest to 6500K.

Now at the color blobs on the top, click the one that says Primary and Secondary colors. After your sensor has done its thing click the monitor button that says CIE Diagram. Your Spyder already showed this but here we can see it bit better and how close the primaries and secondaries hit their marks. You might want to go back to the "Measures" tab to see the DeltaE in numbers too.

Finally you to see how accurate colors your monitor has without calibration. At the very top toolbar click Measures -> Saturation -> All Colors. This will take a small while but then you get to see the DeltaE of all major colors.

I fill post about DisplayCAL later.

About DisplayCAL, have you download ArgyllCMS? Download Argyll CMS Win32 Executables
HCFR has essentials from ArgyllCMS built in but DisplayCAL requires it to be downloaded separately and defined its location.

If yes, then I dont know why its grey. First at the Display & Instrument select your monitor, select your instrument and select the Correction closest to your screen. Then at the top dropdown box choose a preset (either Office & Web or Video) and you should be good to go. You might want to adjust the calibration speed, quality and amount of patches to suit your needs or improve the speed but otherwise it should be ready to go. After calibration you can do Verification too with all the calibration results.

Definitely more gamut coverage than the Eizo, it is in line with most of the chinese HKC X3 reviews I've checked.
Red is still off the mark, but not as far. Maybe it can be reigned in a bit with HCFR, to reduce the slight shift to orange.
Probably won't get accurate black level measurements because of the Spyder.
I'd really like to see a subpixel macrograph but you need good camera zoom or a USB microscope for that.

Last edited:
Something is wrong. I can't select a sensor, only simulated. Perhaps it is blocking detection of the Spyder5pro inside of 3rd party apps. I did read a review of that this problem exists , so i suppose it is LOCKED . (But not the express or elite).

Same problem with Arygll. It's downloaded , but the whole thing won't work. Spyder5 seemed to have blocked it?

Ok, I just calibrated the Dell I5-5558 with the Spyder5pro. The forum looks very different now. The greys here look reddish and yea, the purse above is now pink/orangish red.

I can't find a pure red anywhere now!

I'm really not sure if this Spyder5 is accurate , or my eyes are beyond screwed. Looking at all the red stuff in my house, the former is probably more true.

Either way, maybe the HKCx3 can be reworked with i1 display pro.

Here is the result of the test:
Oh Maybe I should have posted this as a separate thread?
In addition, the gamma bands are visible throughout the entire bar, so I can't tell what gamma it is at. Basically, the Spyder5 did not fix it.

Screen Shot 05-28-16 at 08.22 AM.PNG

Last edited:
I think the Dell uses the LP156WF6 panel, it is only 6-bit (no FRC), 700:1 contrast, 25ms in specifications
There's 2 screen variants for that Dell model, and I have a glossy screen, which hasn't been tested by Notebookcheck.net . I can't confirm that's the same one. In addition, the blacks are the deepest i've seen for an IPS panel, it's similar to mac tablet level blacks.

There are multiple sub-versions of the panel, the SPA1 is glare, the SPB1 linked is matte.
The glossy helps a lot with perceived black levels. Unless you are in a very dark room, the blacks should look black.

There are multiple sub-versions of the panel, the SPA1 is glare, the SPB1 linked is matte.
The glossy helps a lot with perceived black levels. Unless you are in a very dark room, the blacks should look black.
Thanks for the reply, Igluk. I can't fully trust panelook, as they put the HKC x3 as 240hz, but the monitor can't reach anywhere near that. Even 144hz produces vertical bouncing and nothing higher can be forced.
Entech software lists max value as 144hz as well.

Also, Panelook claims the monitor is 6bit +FRC, but the website claims 8 bit, and it covers 96% srgb in tests.

Btw, what monitors do you own? (have owned as well).

Last edited:
Maybe it has something to do with the panel being a 3D display, if it even is that panel. It was used in the short-lived Playstation 3D Display (apparently many units died after a short while and it was discontinued). In the remarks section on panelook it even says 120Hz:2D
Panelook is not 100% accurate, they often just copy&paste what's in the datasheets and not all data is listed in there.
I owned 2 CRTs (one 100hz 19'' Flatscreen, it was the shit back then, had it 3 years then it just died), 3 TN, borrowed an IPS and a S-PVA for a while now I have just a regular 24'' AMVA+.
I'm very curious how the adoption of HDR monitors will fare next year, and whether there will finally be some slow progress with OLED, maybe even QLED.

Maybe it has something to do with the panel being a 3D display, if it even is that panel. It was used in the short-lived Playstation 3D Display (apparently many units died after a short while and it was discontinued). In the remarks section on panelook it even says 120Hz:2D
Panelook is not 100% accurate, they often just copy&paste what's in the datasheets and not all data is listed in there.
I owned 2 CRTs (one 100hz 19'' Flatscreen, it was the shit back then, had it 3 years then it just died), 3 TN, borrowed an IPS and a S-PVA for a while now I have just a regular 24'' AMVA+.
I'm very curious how the adoption of HDR monitors will fare next year, and whether there will finally be some slow progress with OLED, maybe even QLED.

I could try to test out the Sony 3d glasses with this, but I don't know if if its supposed to be active or passive 3d? If it was 3d, then HKC would have made it a highlight, but no one has.

Man, it is hard going from CRT to TN!

I always looked to buy the best screens, especially in color:

Packard Bell (my Dads first monitor) 14" Crt shadow mask
Optiquest 17" CRT 1999 (my first pc build)
SUN microsystems SONY Trinitron 21" CRT 2000
NEC Diamondtron 22" Grey model 2001
Dell 2407FPW Samsung VA panel. Wide gamut, low contrast and lots of issues with color accuracy and no calibrator back then. 2003
Sony KDL-XBR4 , 40" (gave to my Mom, it's in her room now) 2007
Sony 20" TV- Trinitron, still good 1990.
Mitsubishi 35" CRT TV (1996-2014 RIP you were great).

DAVI 24" IPS (still in possession on my desk)
Sony 55" KDL 55W900A (Family room) 2014
HKC X3 (on my desk) May 16, 2016
Vizio 43" 4k VA panel (my room) Mar 2016

other:
Dell i5-5558 IPS Nov 2015
Gateway NV59 TN (249:1 cr lol!) Mar 2010

Last edited:
FILM PERFORMANCE:

4.2/5
*4k HDR, rec2020 is best for films

Was just watching Star Wars Force Awakens and Deadpool 10bit color version. Damn , this is where the panel really really shines! this is one amazing personal home theatre tv!

My lights were all turned off and it was midnight.
-The light AG coating sparkles/grain is lost because the films already have their own film noise. (I really prefer gloss panels and my rooms are always light controlled).
-The blacks still look black even at night
--- --Especially true in the dark space scenes and Finn's intro scene
-the whites of deadpools eyes , highlights from the particles and white of the subtitles were shined bright
-The motion was ultra smooth, as the transitions that I'm used to from other panels are too slow ; This made the action sequences and particles ultra buttery to look at.
-The color space is wider than srgb so the reds still looked good even though this calibration from Spyder5pro is poorly optimized.
-Was difficult to find banding when watching these films
--Quite a sick amount of black detail, lots of texture can be seen on navy blue outfits, jeans in the shade, dark reds didn't bleed.
This would be good for a large TV, no doubt as long as it has fine controls over Gamma that actually stick.

If all you did was 1080p film and games , you will find no flaw in the panel.

----- I will properly review photography performance once I get a better calibrator.

Last edited:
Reactions: igluk
like this
Screen Shot 06-01-16 at 02.02 PM.PNG
I just received my I1 Display Pro +Colorcheck passport (free bonus). I also just finished the Xrite software, and it gave me a more accurate red. BUT it totally ignored gamma and now the settings are too dark for all pictures. Funny tho, thumbnails of images are not affected..

Now running Displaycal to see what result I can achieve.

Ok, so I finished calibrating with DISPLAYCAL and it gave me nice gamma values. I was able to achieve 6520k color temperature as well. Reds look absolutely stunning now, at the correct hue and saturation as compared to before.

The color is MUCH nicer than previously used Spyder5pro. Also , the Pro was not compatible with the Displaycal/Argys.

I have to tell you that Nvidia driver is pushing some horrible banding, (NOT the monitor's fault) its a problem with my other display connecting to my computer but it doesn't affect the Intel GPU's that I have. This is a big issue Nvidia needs to fix!

Now time to run HCFR and get the real delta values.

Ok guys, here's what I came up with DISPLAYCAL
120cdm2
Almost perfect 6500k white point

MAZA: Can you help me get the light blue/dark cyan perfect? This is almost the exact same as the Chinese test results, but n ot really sure if there's a way to correct it. I had trouble fiddling with HCFR. It just was measuring everything at 50 delta or more...Clearly this is kinda advanced and I'm missing a step or two.

Almost all colors except 3 were well below 1 delta , but 2 showed large errors and one color was only 1.5.
Is this accurate ENOUGH for photography /art usage? (considering 9/10 of my photography friends never even heard of a calibrator)/

I heard you can manipulate 3d LUT, to correct almost anything, but I don't know much about that.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 06-01-16 at 06.25 PM.PNG
    Screen Shot 06-01-16 at 06.25 PM.PNG
    81.2 KB · Views: 482
Ok, I just got my answer from DisplayCal admin. These 2 colors are out of gamut for my monitor, BUT they are also not in the SRGB spectrum.
So indeed, my monitor is DELTA <1 with ZERO accuracy issues in sRGB.

Photography review after calibration:

3.85/5

If you want a monitor viewing pictures, a better display would be a glossy screen with 4k/5k .
--This is some subject to opinion, as it seems the majority of people prefer AG screens. I however, think they add "texture grain n sparkle" and "dryness" to everything and make it look too uniform and grainy. Also the light diffuse creates a haze that sucks out contrast a bit. This is the lightest AG screen available and actually appears semi glossy. I guess I've been then conditioned that glossy prints in books were always more premium than newspaper.

What is not opinion:
1080p is a bit narrow for this type of field, amateur or pro.
However, delta scale is very similar to good IPS screens.

I did a test print

All the hues looked very accurate, but my ink or my photoshop setting made it washed out in the black levels. (I'm not sure why)

Good results, definitely got some improvements.
Did you also get some black luminance/contrast ratio results with the i1?

Back