My GTX 480 is starting show rainbow effects

maximus87

Weaksauce
So for the most part I've never seen this before. But I was trying out Crysis and almost immediately (during the first cut scene) I started seeing these rainbow effects. It was like a ghost of an image all distorted and rainbow like. I thought it might have been AA related, but turning it off didn't help. It looks bad and is horribly noticeable.

Other games I've been playing (like Bad Company 2) I haven't noticed this yet. Temperatures got up to 91C according to Afterburner, but I've seen that before without problems. I have reapplied the thermal paste with AS5 (twice). Both times I get the same temperatures of about 45C idle 90C~ in heavy load games, maybe 85C~ for less intense games. I know these things run hot but damn. I have the side of my case off and made sure this thing was nice and clean too, but it doesn't seem to matter.

I tried taking screen shots but of course it doesn't show up in them. Is this card done for already?

91C seems fairly normal for teh 480 under load so I would look to something other than heat as your issue. Try clean driver re-install and/or roll back to other driver version and if you still have problems start the RMA process.

I'm seeing it in Metro 2033 now too. I cranked up the fan to 80% and even with temps at 51C in game, I still see the same effect. Going to try driver reinstall of latest WHQLs though I somehow doubt that will do anything at all.

Pics or FRAPS video, please.

I haven't heard of this, yet. If a driver sweep doesn't solve the problem, it sounds like an RMA.

Try downclocking your core/memory and see if the problem subsides. If so, RMA.

Reinstalled drivers using driver sweeper and all that jazz, same problem.

I'd take pics if I had a camera, but I don't. It looks like the image is ghosting but instead of a shadow it's all rainbow colored. Oddly enough, my PS3 was seeing the same effect in Red Dead Redemption, my guess is VRAM as well...

Might try downclocking it, but honsetly I'll probably just RMA. It's an MSI card and I've never RMA'd through them so this might be interesting.

I was hoping my 480 could stop this losing streak of video cards I've had... let's see for me it's been:

BFG GTX 260
EVGA GTX 285 (like 4 of them in a fucking row)
XFX 5850
MSI GTX 480

:)

Keep in mind these are all on different systems, with different PSUs, mobos, etc throughout the years. I'm just unlucky as hell with video cards it seems.

hate to tell you, but ive heard less than great things about MSI's support for RMA...

Check your cable. Had it happen to me - connector had bumped loose, but was still attached. Do a cable swap just to be sure it isn't the cable.

Stress test it, make sure it's the card..

My 470 has been acting weird too, sometimes on bootup it will mangle up the desktop into weird colors, other times the screen will just go blank.. Must have crashed 5 times since in the past 3 weeks but damned if it only happens during the weirdest times and not gaming.

Wonder if this has to do with the lack of the backplate and VRM monitoring :mad: I think the auto fan might not be aggressive enough in certain cases. You can try making a custom profile, a lot of the time the card lets itself go up to near 80c but will still not push the fan 60%. I set mine up for it hits 70% before 80c and it cut temps quite a bit.

I've also got an MSI and will be uber pissed if I had to RMA this card for a VRAM issue when this is the EXACT same thing my 280 starting doing before it died.

...Oddly enough, my PS3 was seeing the same effect in Red Dead Redemption...

Wait, wait, wait...if you are seeing it on your console as well then it is definitely something wrong with your TV/monitor...you wouldnt happen to be using a DLP TV would you? DLPs are known for a "rainbow" effect sometimes...mine personally does not have this, but I know it can happen.

If you are NOT using a DLP TV then check all your cables for connection problems or interference.

Back