My Gigabyte GTX 680 is taking a dump - what to buy?

v6maro

[H]ard|Gawd
First, my video keeps freezing and going to standby mode when I play CS:GO - I heard that this has been a common issue lately, anyone else having this issue? I've changed drivers a million times.

Secondly, is the GTX 970 a worthy upgrade?

Have you done the oven trick yet?

970 is a nice upgrade sure, but what is your budget?

First, my video keeps freezing and going to standby mode when I play CS:GO - I heard that this has been a common issue lately, anyone else having this issue? I've changed drivers a million times.

have you checked temps? how old it's that PSU? at what resolution are you playing? what games are you playing or are you planning to play?. a gtx 970 it's a huge upgrade you will be pleased with the performance upgrade but it will also depend on the games you play..

Not for that resolution as the GTX 970 only has 3.5GB of VRAM. For 2560 x 1600 I would definitely step up to a GTX 980 or GTX 980ti. Countless members of the forum have said that the 2600K pairs quite nicely with both of those cards so no need to upgrade much more.

I assume that you're only considering Nvidia. If you do consider AMD, then the R9 290x, R9 390, R9 390x, and the entire Fury lineup would suit your needs.

Have you done the oven trick yet?

970 is a nice upgrade sure, but what is your budget?

No, what is that???

I'd like to be around 3-350.

have you checked temps? how old it's that PSU? at what resolution are you playing? what games are you playing or are you planning to play?. a gtx 970 it's a huge upgrade you will be pleased with the performance upgrade but it will also depend on the games you play..

Temps seem normal!
PSU was bought at the same time as the card, same with the mobo
2560x1600
CSGO, Battlefront

Not for that resolution as the GTX 970 only has 3.5GB of VRAM. For 2560 x 1600 I would definitely step up to a GTX 980 or GTX 980ti. Countless members of the forum have said that the 2600K pairs quite nicely with both of those cards so no need to upgrade much more.

I assume that you're only considering Nvidia. If you do consider AMD, then the R9 290x, R9 390, R9 390x, and the entire Fury lineup would suit your needs.
hmm, so I HAVE to go to a 980 for 2560x1600?

980ti SC+ @ newegg is $599.99 AR right now.
ugh, almost double what I wanted to pay :(

Temps seem normal!
PSU was bought at the same time as the card, same with the mobo
2560x1600
CSGO, Battlefront

I would start looking at the PSU, freezing, standby mode, black screens are always pointing to PSU/power issues or temperatures.

hmm, so I HAVE to go to a 980 for 2560x1600?

have? not necessary, but if you are planing the same longevity as your 680 and are planing to enjoy newer games, you should go with GTX 980 as minimum for 2560x1600.

ugh, almost double what I wanted to pay :(

but you receive 4x performance than a single GTX 680. and can be more once overclocked it's involved.

I'm not biased towards either camp, but a 290X will push that display for what you want to pay.

Can you please start posting real world examples where the 3.5gb of ram on the 970 limits performance at 2560x1600 other than Dying Light? ? In games people actually play? Hardocp includes VRAM usage in most of their reviews.

Here are the top 20 most played games in September - http://caas.raptr.com/most-played-games-august-2015-diablo-iii-and-warframe-make-big-gains/

It is not a limiting factor in any of those.

OP, I have a pretty similar setup to you. I could not play Witcher 3 or GTA V with a single 970 (at settings or frame rates I like), but if you have a single 680 now you probably aren't super concerned with that. I wouldn't go for any less than a 970 though. I had 680s before, and now I have a 960 in another machine, and I do not think a 960 is much faster than a 680.

Does this only happen in CS:GO? Did you try verifying the game's integrity cache? I've had the same issue and that fixed it if not temporarily. I asked the same question yesterday regarding the 970 vs 390. Consensus was at >1080P, the 390 is more ideal vs the 970 as they're similarly priced but the 290/290x may be just as good at a lower price point. If you can get a decent used or B-stock 980 from EVGA it would be nice to.

I would start looking at the PSU, freezing, standby mode, black screens are always pointing to PSU/power issues or temperatures.

have? not necessary, but if you are planing the same longevity as your 680 and are planing to enjoy newer games, you should go with GTX 980 as minimum for 2560x1600.

but you receive 4x performance than a single GTX 680. and can be more once overclocked it's involved.

Thanks for the help, how can I check my PSU? It was brand new when I bought it. I have a multi meter if that helps.

Does this only happen in CS:GO? Did you try verifying the game's integrity cache? I've had the same issue and that fixed it if not temporarily. I asked the same question yesterday regarding the 970 vs 390. Consensus was at >1080P, the 390 is more ideal vs the 970 as they're similarly priced but the 290/290x may be just as good at a lower price point. If you can get a decent used or B-stock 980 from EVGA it would be nice to.

This happens in all games unfortunately. It even happend in 2d (w7 desktop) mode last night watching a youtube video.

Thanks for the help, how can I check my PSU? It was brand new when I bought it. I have a multi meter if that helps.

you can do a fast test by using any of the molex connector... connect the common multimeter cable to one of the black molex cable(ground) and the other cable to the +12Vcable (yellow) you can keep monitoring your Machine under any load to see if the 12V is dropping too much..

you can do a fast test by using any of the molex connector... connect the common multimeter cable to one of the black molex cable(ground) and the other cable to the +12Vcable (yellow) you can keep monitoring your Machine under any load to see if the 12V is dropping too much..

ok cool, what shouldn't it drop below? 11.9??

also - my buddy is selling two 780 ti's which I could run in SLI for 600, so thats an option.

yes is an option, but remember 780TI SLI is arround the level of a single 980TI some games will favor the 780TI SLI Setup and others will favor the single 980TI but the 980TI its a great OC'er and scale very well with the increase in clocks, always go with a powerful single card always as possible, if you want to go used, try looking for a used 980TI deal, you don't mess with SLI profiles, Less power consumption and less heat produced... 780TI SLI would be a viable option if you were already using a 780TI..

yes is an option, but remember 780TI SLI is arround the level of a single 980TI some games will favor the 780TI SLI Setup and others will favor the single 980TI but the 980TI its a great OC'er and scale very well with the increase in clocks, always go with a powerful single card always as possible, if you want to go used, try looking for a used 980TI deal, you don't mess with SLI profiles, Less power consumption and less heat produced... 780TI SLI would be a viable option if you were already using a 780TI..

thanks! Also, what should the voltage not dip below?

at least in the game i've tested it is, at least with my old GTX 770 which its the same 680. and why not show the anandtech link with 680 vs 980TI? http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1496?vs=1494. look at the shadow of mordor test...

Um that's like the only example out of 10 games they tested lol. Even in GTA V it's still "only" 2.3x faster.

On average it seems to be 2-2.5x faster than 680, probably 3x if we factor in overclocking. Obviously still an impressive upgrade, but 4x is definitely not the norm.

thanks! Also, what should the voltage not dip below?

+12V have a ±5% tolerance (0.60v) so you have a margin from 11.40v to 12.60v however I start to worry at less than 11.80v that's my bare minimum, of course are things that can't be checked with the multimeter that can cause heavy instabilities like the peak to peak Ripple but the voltage should tell enough to see if it's necessary a PSU replacement...

also - my buddy is selling two 780 ti's which I could run in SLI for 600, so thats an option.

A single 780ti isn't far off from a 980. With the right vbios they can clock fairly high. Of course, power consumption goes up too. If you're lucky you can try to get the B-stock 780ti Kingpin editions for less than $200 from EVGA. But for $600 I'd go with the 980ti.

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 Graphic Card $250
https://jet.com/product/Gigabyte-...58a59f189b

Use 20NOW for $50 off.

Get this until pascal arrives if you are on 1080/2560 res

Back