My "from PC to Xbox 360 to PS3" experience

If a game comes out on the PC and the consoles I always buy it for PC. The consoles are only used for their exclusives.

The main draws for the PC for me are the increased performance (45fps is pretty much the minimum for me not to feel jerkiness), the far faster load times (some games hide this but the first time you load them up (*cough* Uncharted 2 *cough*) you have plenty of time to make a sandwich, eat it, digest it, and dump it in the toilet before it's ready to start), and the backwards compatibility with not only PC games but emulators for somewhat recent consoles.

I prefer the PS3 over the 360 for streaming simply because it's far quieter. My overclocked PC is 2 feet away from my ears and it's half as quiet as the 360 is at 10 feet away. Netflix on the 360 probably gets more use than any other device in my house though.

I too made the jump from PC to PS3. Not that I don't like PC games anymore, I just wanted to try something different and some of the exclusives caught my eye.

Yes, the graphics can look worse than the same game running on a PC, but in my experience it's easy to look past this if the gameplay is engaging.

I was pleasantly surprised by Ratchet and Clank (both Tools of Destruction and A Crack in Time) and really enjoyed Uncharted 1 & 2. LBP is great and even some PSN titles like Critter Crunch are very well done.

Most recently I've started into the God of War collection, and while the graphics look a little last-gen (technically, they are) they are very fun games to play.

Some *shiny* has worn off but not to the point where I regret buying the system or the games to go with it. Everything in moderation I guess..

PC purists are in denial, and if not, snobbish ;)
Many of them make a direct comparison of games when they should appreciate the different style/type of games offered by the console platforms. As much as FPS sucks on console for PC gamers, they never gonna see games like ICO, God of War or Castle Crashers on their PC.

And you will never see mods like Prophunt for TF2. I got a PS3 for Christmas, all the big name games along with it. Infamous, AC2 and the GoW games are worthwhile, but Uncharted 1 and 2 and Killzone 2 all suck ass. Even with the good games and the hefty investment, I've spent considerably more time playing a hide and seek mod for a 3 year old game since then (I discovered it at roughly the same time).

In all honesty, most of the best games on the PC are NOT the games themselves, but heavily modded versions of the games. Oblivion blew ass without mods. FO3 is a completely different game with mods. Counterstrike STARTED as a mod. Team Fortress started as a mod. Quake 3 is at its best with modded versions of the game. Much of the shit in Modern Warfare 2 is based on mods for the original. So much of the modern versions of Battlefield is based on Desert Combat, the mod for BF1942.

Typing this up really pisses me off at the developers dropping mod support for their games. Fuck you IW.

If a game comes out on the PC and the consoles I always buy it for PC. The consoles are only used for their exclusives.

Pretty much that. I admit that the fighting games (GoW) are better on the consoles than they would be on the PC. But the exclusive shooters would be much better on the PC. I might even be able to tolerate Uncharted if I could aim with a mouse instead of a thumbstick.

I am not sure why you are trying to argue with me. The point I was trying to make was that there is no better platform, but different platforms with their own library of games and genres.

I think people who only experience PC gaming are missing a lot on gaming in general and vice-versa. Sitting in front of your screen is totally different than sitting in couch and messing with a bunch of friends in SF4 or Bomberman. At least that's how I experienced gaming back in the days before consoles became networked PC wannabes :p

...but Uncharted 1 and 2 and Killzone 2 all suck ass...

I might even be able to tolerate Uncharted if I could aim with a mouse instead of a thumbstick.

For one, elaborate. And two, what were you expecting to control Uncharted 2 with? You shouldn't just bash it like that without giving it a chance... you got a console so you might as well try to control it. I mean, at some point you had to learn to control games on a keyboard and mouse too... It's not so hard as people over-dramatize it to be... i've had this conversation with so many PC gamers and it's always the same regurgitated argument... you need to actually TRY and not just automatically be like, the aiming sucks because there's no mouse and keyboard support. You have the game and console... at least give it a few chances. Uncharted 2 wasn't voted GOTY on MANY websites and publications by accident.

And i'm a PC gamer too... and all i'm saying is you all need to stop with the same regurgitated and lame comments about console games... "there's no mouse and keyboard." I guarantee this isn't the first time you've picked up a controller... or have you ever played a arcade game? How many different types of controls are there? There are different controls for each game... and part of being good at the game itself is learning HOW to control it so that you're actually good... not being a pussy and complaining that the controls aren't to your specific specification. From a console perspective and game perspective in general... the controls are pretty solid and I guarantee it's not unplayable and ruins the entire experience the way you describe it.

Anyway, enough of my rant and OP derailment... that's just annoying to me... as a PC gamer and gamer in general.

And i'm a PC gamer too... and all i'm saying is you all need to stop with the same regurgitated and lame comments about console games...

Anyway, enough of my rant and OP derailment... that's just annoying to me... as a PC gamer and gamer in general.

Ha, I feel the same way and think he is another PC gamer in denial. It seems we see a lot of them lurking on this forum, but I understand where he is coming from. I have played Unreal Tournament for almost ten solid years now and getting used to the thumb stick is just counter-intuitive for me. Thumb stick will never give you the type of precision and control you get from a mouse and keyboard. The perfect example of this would be TF2. The difference in moves and aim between PC and console platforms in TF2 is just night and day. However, console developers were smart enough to recognize that and arranged FPS gameplay consoles to compensate for the thumb stick.

I just don't understand why they refuse to support mouse & keyboard on consoles. The PS3 supports those inputs, and yet only Unreal Tournament 3 supports them. The argument is that mouse and keyboard provide an unfair advantage over gamepads (thus proving they are superior input methods). However, you can buy a racing wheel, or play SF4 with an arcade stick which provides a tremendous advantage over a pad. Why is stopping Sony or MS to release sanctioned mouse/keyboard accessories? I would be all over that instead of spending the money on some lousy 3rd party solutions.

got all of the current consoles plus PC in sig....... i spend most of my time on the PC when it comes to FPS keyboard + mouse >*

PS3 is pretty much a blu-ray player plus ratchet and clank and a few other games I got on clearance

Xbox 360 is pretty much used as an arcade machine and onlime gaming with friends....

Ha, I feel the same way and think he is another PC gamer in denial. It seems we see a lot of them lurking on this forum, but I understand where he is coming from. I have played Unreal Tournament for almost ten solid years now and getting used to the thumb stick is just counter-intuitive for me. Thumb stick will never give you the type of precision and control you get from a mouse and keyboard. The perfect example of this would be TF2. The difference in moves and aim between PC and console platforms in TF2 is just night and day. However, console developers were smart enough to recognize that and arranged FPS gameplay consoles to compensate for the thumb stick.

I just don't understand why they refuse to support mouse & keyboard on consoles. The PS3 supports those inputs, and yet only Unreal Tournament 3 supports them. The argument is that mouse and keyboard provide an unfair advantage over gamepads (thus proving they are superior input methods). However, you can buy a racing wheel, or play SF4 with an arcade stick which provides a tremendous advantage over a pad. Why is stopping Sony or MS to release sanctioned mouse/keyboard accessories? I would be all over that instead of spending the money on some lousy 3rd party solutions.

You do realize that this forum [H] started off as a PC community? There was a time when we didn't have a console sub-forum, and the gaming forum mostly comprised of PC related material. When someone invests a lot of time and money into something they like and for some of the people at [H] PC modding, overclocking, gaming is a huge hobby. I understand why some of them, like my friends, don't want to touch a console or even give one a try.

What it comes down to is 'what do the game developers want?' It's not up to Sony or Microsoft to make all FPS'ers mouse and keyboard friendly. As you stated, UT3 supports it, which shows all of us it can be done.

I own a gaming pc, 360 and ps3. Love each one of them and can hold my own on any game type on either of these. FPS with mouse or gamepad.....it really does not matter. I find fanboyism funny, if you love your preference thats fine but most of the time one sided replies in these types of threads are funny as hell.

Originally Posted by krameriffic

I might even be able to tolerate Uncharted if I could aim with a mouse instead of a thumbstick.

say what? all three of those games are fantastic........

Originally Posted by krameriffic

say what? all three of those games are fantastic........

Yea saw that post also.... sometimes you just gotta let it ride man.

Sorry but I wholeheartedly agree with that krameriffic guy, Uncharted 1 and 2 were pretty terrible. The shooting system ruined those games for me. The annoying over the shoulder locked camera angle is so awkward (I'm okay with GTA style camera) but the way the camera was locked in place while he moved was awful. The mechanics were terrible, I hate having to shoot guys wearing T-Shirts 5-10 times before they die. I played through both because the story was interesting and I enjoyed the exploration and climbing parts of the game. Everytime I found a cache of supplies though, I knew enemies were coming and I just let out a sigh of disappointment and gave the controller to someone else because it truely made me angry.

Regarding Killzone 2 - this game is awful. There's nothing new or innovative there. It's just a console shooter for those console players who have never experienced a decent FPS on PC before. The whole game is dark and repetitive. It's as if they wanted to take the "steam and smoke factory" from movies (a classic movie cliche where the climax of the film is a fight that takes place inside an industrial factory) and just repeat it over and over and over again. It's just another corridor scripted shooter that was generic and ugly.

Sorry but I wholeheartedly agree with that krameriffic guy, Uncharted 1 and 2 were pretty terrible. The shooting system ruined those games for me. The annoying over the shoulder locked camera angle is so awkward (I'm okay with GTA style camera) but the way the camera was locked in place while he moved was awful. The mechanics were terrible, I hate having to shoot guys wearing T-Shirts 5-10 times before they die. I played through both because the story was interesting and I enjoyed the exploration and climbing parts of the game. Everytime I found a cache of supplies though, I knew enemies were coming and I just let out a sigh of disappointment and gave the controller to someone else because it truely made me angry.

You, sir, are out of your mind.

Regarding Killzone 2 - this game is awful. There's nothing new or innovative there. It's just a console shooter for those console players who have never experienced a decent FPS on PC before. The whole game is dark and repetitive. It's as if they wanted to take the "steam and smoke factory" from movies (a classic movie cliche where the climax of the film is a fight that takes place inside an industrial factory) and just repeat it over and over and over again. It's just another corridor scripted shooter that was generic and ugly.

Although I haven't tried any of those games yet. I can relate to what this guy is saying.
The shooter element in Uncharted could be enough to turn me off.

I downloaded the demo for Just Cause 2 on both PC and 360, and although I thought the game would be more enjoyable on console, I actually found myself hating the 360 version only because of the shooting...

I felt a lot more comfortable shooting my gun on PC just because I have a mouse.

I can see how Uncharted could give me the same feeling...and it could be enough to ruin the gameplay...

Now I heard so much about Uncharted 2 that I borrowed it along with the 1st one as soon as I got my PS3.
I haven't tried them yet, but am afraid of not wanting to play it because of the aforementioned reason, and missing out on a really good game otherwise :(

This is like saying I do not know why I can not use my hands, since they are more superior than my feet, to carry the ball in soccer. If you can not adapt to using a controller then simply do not play console games. Stick to PC gaming were you can use your mouse and keyboard. Adapt or do not play it is not that hard to use a controller really :rolleyes: I have no problem using either and have invest time in both of them to get good with either one of them... do not know why other people have such a hard time with it but then again maybe some of us are farther down the evolutionary chain of gamers than others.

Last edited:
This is like saying I do not know why I can not use my hands, since they are more superior than my feet, to carry the ball in soccer. If you can not adapt to using a controller then simply do not play console games. Stick to PC gaming were you can use your mouse and keyboard. Adapt or do not play it is not that hard to use a controller really :rolleyes: I have no problem using either and have invest time in both of them to get good with either one of them... do not know why other people have such a hard time with it but then again maybe some of us are farther down the evolutionary chain of gamers than others.

Well some of us have been playing FPS on PC for 15 years +
We have gotten used to K+M, plus we have gotten really good at it.
To try to adapt to something else (controller) is not an easy task, can be frustrating sometimes and takes a certain amount of time. I manage, but I am not nearly as good as I am with K+M.
Does it mean I should stay away from consoles? LOL
Does it mean you are further down the evolutionary chain of gamers? LOL

To try to adapt to something else (controller) is not an easy task, can be frustrating sometimes and takes a certain amount of time. I manage, but I am not nearly as good as I am with K+M.

I am hitting 30 this year and played only on consoles until 5 years ago and I didnt take me long at all to get adapted to pc FPS. To each is own but saying a game it terrible because for some reason you cant use a controller is just lame, HOWEVER I see your POV saying it can be frustrating. This thread can go on forever, but I just find it disgusting when "hardcore" pc gamers OR console fanboys act like the other platform is garbage because THEY dont play on it.

I haven't tried them yet, but am afraid of not wanting to play it because of the aforementioned reason, and missing out on a really good game otherwise :(

You see that's my problem... people discourage people from playing an otherwise good game that not only won game of the year last year, but is just a incredibly entertaining experience. I grew up a PC Gamer too and I still play them to this day but to discredit a game because there is no mouse support is ridiculous.

And I also don't understand how someone can say "I liked the GTA4 camera angle and shooting, but Uncharted 2 was horrendous." That's a ludicrous statement considering the fact that there is virtually no differences between the two as far as camera position and shooting mechanic. You can manually aim on both, as well as use cover and crouch and all that... so I just don't see where people get these comparisons from. I do however think that the difference lies within the game itself since GTA4 and Uncharted 2 are two totally different shooting games, but the core shooting mechanic is not at all so different to say that Uncharted 2 compared to GTA4's shooting mechanic is horrible.

I have been playing PC games for 17ish years (im 27) and I adapted fine. It can be frustrating but you know what helps with that is practice and patience. Well sure you not as good as a K/M neither am I but the sooner you get over that and look at it is a new tool to play with the better you will be. All I am saying is if you can not adapt then stick to what you know. Some of us have evolved with the technology for games and can hold our own with either.

Aaight, I thought it was time for a little update:

- I finished GOW 1 & 2: Games were fun, not too outdated (haven't tried GOW 3 yet). Some puzzles were annoying, but the games were good fun overall.

- Tried Burnout Paradise for a bit (my gf is a big fan)...I thought it was alright.

- My gf and I are playing through Heavy Rain on Sundays...it's a very interesting and different concept.
If you haven't tried it, you ought to.

- Tried AC2...wasn't really impressed, but I will give it another chance...some day...

- Tried Infamous...same as AC2...

- Tried Uncharted 1 (Drake's fortune) and I was pleasantly surprised! This feels like a blockbuster adventure movie. I'm liking it a lot, and the right analog shooting isn't a big deal...I manage.

- Tried Little big planet with the gf, and we both love it!

The only game I am playing on 360 lately is FIFA, only because I own more 360 controllers (and my FIFA is a 360 copy, but you get the point :p).

Aaight, I thought it was time for a little update:

- I finished GOW 1 & 2: Games were fun, not too outdated (haven't tried GOW 3 yet). Some puzzles were annoying, but the games were good fun overall.

- Tried Burnout Paradise for a bit (my gf is a big fan)...I thought it was alright.

- My gf and I are playing through Heavy Rain on Sundays...it's a very interesting and different concept.
If you haven't tried it, you ought to.

- Tried AC2...wasn't really impressed, but I will give it another chance...some day...

- Tried Infamous...same as AC2...

- Tried Uncharted 1 (Drake's fortune) and I was pleasantly surprised! This feels like a blockbuster adventure movie. I'm liking it a lot, and the right analog shooting isn't a big deal...I manage.

- Tried Little big planet with the gf, and we both love it!

The only game I am playing on 360 lately is FIFA, only because I own more 360 controllers (and my FIFA is a 360 copy, but you get the point :p).

All I can say is get ready for God of War 3 and Uncharted 2. Especially Uncharted 2... the leap from awesomeness from Uncharted 1 to 2 is like night and day.

If you haven't, download the God of War 3 demo from the PSN.

I didn't read the entire thread here.. but I'm with the peoples that I did read.

I pretty much refused to buy a console for a long long time and I sort of regret not making the switch sooner. I think the thing that I like the most about console gaming is how it just works. I remember more than one occassion where I would have to tinker with things and try this and that to get some things to work on a PC game, and with a console game you just put the disk in and it works great.

I also like not having to spend thousands on keeping up on the system. Yes, the games are a little more expensive, but I'm not dumping hundreds on parts here and there.

I really don't PC game any more, when I game its on my 360.

All I can say is get ready for God of War 3 and Uncharted 2. Especially Uncharted 2... the leap from awesomeness from Uncharted 1 to 2 is like night and day.

If you haven't, download the God of War 3 demo from the PSN.

I downloaded the GOW 3 demo last night, and played it.
I thought it was really really good, but I also heard that it is very different from the actual final product...

Interestingly enough, I am liking Uncharted 1 a lot, so I can't wait to see what Uncharted 2 has in stock for me :)

I didn't read the entire thread here.. but I'm with the peoples that I did read.

I pretty much refused to buy a console for a long long time and I sort of regret not making the switch sooner. I think the thing that I like the most about console gaming is how it just works. I remember more than one occassion where I would have to tinker with things and try this and that to get some things to work on a PC game, and with a console game you just put the disk in and it works great.

I also like not having to spend thousands on keeping up on the system. Yes, the games are a little more expensive, but I'm not dumping hundreds on parts here and there.

I really don't PC game any more, when I game its on my 360.

I'm sure that if I had made the switch sooner, I wouldn't feel all useless and retarded when I try to play a shooter on console...

It's getting better tho...slowly and painfully better...

Well, I'm 35 and started playing on PC in 1993 with the release of DOOM. Before that, it was arcades and consoles.

While nothing can beat the visuals of PC, some of my greatest gaming experiences/memories have been on consoles. For example, the Resident Evil series, which was absolutely phenomenal, as well as the first Silent Hill. Sony's first PS really started a whole new era of gaming, IMO.

I'd have to say that, while I've been a very hardcore PC gamer for the last decade specifically, that I never stopped playing on consoles, though I do not like the PS3. The visuals are almost always at least slightly sub-par to the 360, and I hate the controllers. So, for me, it's PC and 360.

Of course, for the FPS genre, I prefer PC due to the fact that, no matter how good you are with a controller (and remember, I've used them all) that there's simply no matching the accuracy of kb/m. I also prefer PC, as stated, due to far superior visuals and performance.

However, I quite enjoy many games on 360, and each platform has it's own thing to offer in it's own right, so I do not put "one above the other". Most action games, third-person shooters etc. feel much better to me on console (360) than on PC, and control schemes and general "feel" are very much console-targeted/oriented by devs.I've logged countless hours on GTA IV, Gears of War 1 & 2, and even some racing titles with the wife.

We have a larger HD LCD TV as well, and the 360 looks pretty damn great with games that really push the visuals.

However, the PC offers the best experience, IMO, for the FPS genre, and of course for MMO's which are PC-specific anyway. Even RPG titles such as Oblivion etc. I would never touch on console, just because of the depth and experience the PC offers with much better visuals. It allows you to get deeper into things.

There were years when I was strictly a console gamer, then years when it was mainly PC, but I never "discount" either. If it wasn't for PC, we never would have experienced DOOM or GTA. If it wasn't for console, we never would have experienced Resident Evil, or in the modern day, games such as Crackdown, Dead Rising or certain racing titles (I'm sure sports fit in here too somewhere, but I'm not a sports fan).

So, it just comes down to preference of/and experience, but both platforms have much to offer in their own right. I just wish we'd see the next gen of console visuals already, because sometimes it's very hard to go from my high-end PC rig to console, in terms of visuals, heh.

Luckily, my wife is also a heavy gamer, and has only in recent years gotten into PC gaming. She's very much into shooters, zombies and blowing sh*t up as well, lol. So, I've built many rigs over the years for my self, and now us both, and we own two 360's because we also game heavily on that, such as with Borderlands, Gears of War etc.

It's an expensive hobby, but possibly the most enjoyable in human history (aside from sex, but that ain't a hobby, that's a necessity, lol).

OMG, I'm having such a good time playing Uncharted 1!!

Unfortunately, I don't have time to play for hours at a time, so I play 1 hour here, half an hour there...
But the game is a lot of fun, and I had my first big shooting sequence yesterday, and it felt surprisingly painless :)

yay!!

OMG, I'm having such a good time playing Uncharted 1!!

Unfortunately, I don't have time to play for hours at a time, so I play 1 hour here, half an hour there...
But the game is a lot of fun, and I had my first big shooting sequence yesterday, and it felt surprisingly painless :)

yay!!

I need to start Uncharted 1. Picked it up for $20 on sale recently.

I need to start Uncharted 1. Picked it up for $20 on sale recently.

From what I was told (in this very thread I believe), Uncharted 2 is a HUGE improvement compared to the first one.

I couldn't be happier because I have both at home (borrowed long term) and I am ABSOLUTELY LOVING Uncharted 1 so far....

Good time ahead my friend :)

Well, I'm 35 and started playing on PC in 1993 with the release of DOOM. Before that, it was arcades and consoles.

While nothing can beat the visuals of PC, some of my greatest gaming experiences/memories have been on consoles. For example, the Resident Evil series, which was absolutely phenomenal, as well as the first Silent Hill. Sony's first PS really started a whole new era of gaming, IMO.

I'd have to say that, while I've been a very hardcore PC gamer for the last decade specifically, that I never stopped playing on consoles, though I do not like the PS3. The visuals are almost always at least slightly sub-par to the 360, and I hate the controllers. So, for me, it's PC and 360.

Of course, for the FPS genre, I prefer PC due to the fact that, no matter how good you are with a controller (and remember, I've used them all) that there's simply no matching the accuracy of kb/m. I also prefer PC, as stated, due to far superior visuals and performance.

However, I quite enjoy many games on 360, and each platform has it's own thing to offer in it's own right, so I do not put "one above the other". Most action games, third-person shooters etc. feel much better to me on console (360) than on PC, and control schemes and general "feel" are very much console-targeted/oriented by devs.I've logged countless hours on GTA IV, Gears of War 1 & 2, and even some racing titles with the wife.

We have a larger HD LCD TV as well, and the 360 looks pretty damn great with games that really push the visuals.

However, the PC offers the best experience, IMO, for the FPS genre, and of course for MMO's which are PC-specific anyway. Even RPG titles such as Oblivion etc. I would never touch on console, just because of the depth and experience the PC offers with much better visuals. It allows you to get deeper into things.

There were years when I was strictly a console gamer, then years when it was mainly PC, but I never "discount" either. If it wasn't for PC, we never would have experienced DOOM or GTA. If it wasn't for console, we never would have experienced Resident Evil, or in the modern day, games such as Crackdown, Dead Rising or certain racing titles (I'm sure sports fit in here too somewhere, but I'm not a sports fan).

So, it just comes down to preference of/and experience, but both platforms have much to offer in their own right. I just wish we'd see the next gen of console visuals already, because sometimes it's very hard to go from my high-end PC rig to console, in terms of visuals, heh.

Luckily, my wife is also a heavy gamer, and has only in recent years gotten into PC gaming. She's very much into shooters, zombies and blowing sh*t up as well, lol. So, I've built many rigs over the years for my self, and now us both, and we own two 360's because we also game heavily on that, such as with Borderlands, Gears of War etc.

It's an expensive hobby, but possibly the most enjoyable in human history (aside from sex, but that ain't a hobby, that's a necessity, lol).

I pretty much have the same story as you, and I can remember playing Resident Evil and especially Resident Evil 2 on the Playstation and being absolutely blown away. But I don't understand how you can hate the Playstation 3 so much because of it's controller. The controller basically hasn't changed much since the very first controller to come out on Playstation. Granted the first iteration didn't have the analog sticks but since that revision, it hasn't changed.

So I guess my point is if you liked the original Playstation so much, then why wouldn't the new one be so much worse since the controller hasn't changed much?

I pretty much have the same story as you, and I can remember playing Resident Evil and especially Resident Evil 2 on the Playstation and being absolutely blown away. But I don't understand how you can hate the Playstation 3 so much because of it's controller. The controller basically hasn't changed much since the very first controller to come out on Playstation. Granted the first iteration didn't have the analog sticks but since that revision, it hasn't changed.

So I guess my point is if you liked the original Playstation so much, then why wouldn't the new one be so much worse since the controller hasn't changed much?

To me, since the Playstation 1, I always thought that it was the best controller out there.
However, I didn't use a Playstation controller in over a decade, and got used to the 360 controller.

I must admit that after getting my PS3, the controller didn't feel as good as the 360's.
I was surprise to see that the best controller out there in my opinion wasn't as good as I remembered...

Well OP, I must say we share an almost identical story. I began as a PC gamer (still one), invested most of my gaming time in the PC during the last years (I played the PS1 and PS2 a lot before that), bought an X360 2 years ago, sold it and recently bought a PS3.

I believe both systems (consoles and PC) are complements to each other. I never enjoyed a platformer more than on a console, nor a driving game. I cannot think of one FPS I enjoyed on a console too (when you have access to a PC, and learned to play to FPS on one, you simply cannot see the PS3 or the 360 as the best system to play FPS).

Even though the old keyboard+mouse combo is (I think) better to play FPS, I can easily understand people having lotsa fun playing such games on a console. It's simply a question of habit and personal preferences and gaming history, rather than anything else.

Well OP, I must say we share an almost identical story. I began as a PC gamer (still one), invested most of my gaming time in the PC during the last years (I played the PS1 and PS2 a lot before that), bought an X360 2 years ago, sold it and recently bought a PS3.

I believe both systems (consoles and PC) are complements to each other. I never enjoyed a platformer more than on a console, nor a driving game. I cannot think of one FPS I enjoyed on a console too (when you have access to a PC, and learned to play to FPS on one, you simply cannot see the PS3 or the 360 as the best system to play FPS).

Even though the old keyboard+mouse combo is (I think) better to play FPS, I can easily understand people having lotsa fun playing such games on a console. It's simply a question of habit and personal preferences and gaming history, rather than anything else.

Old habits die hard...
I am gradually doing better at shooters on consoles tho...
I don't think I'll ever be as comfortable or as prolific on a controller than with a M+K setup, but it's getting better :)

From what I was told (in this very thread I believe), Uncharted 2 is a HUGE improvement compared to the first one.

I couldn't be happier because I have both at home (borrowed long term) and I am ABSOLUTELY LOVING Uncharted 1 so far....

Good time ahead my friend :)

Uncharted 2, here are some brief words I posted when I was playing it:

----------
This game is really beautiful. Lots of color, Tons of detail with worn exteriors and filled interiors. Its makes the occasional moment of harsh or off lighting seem worse than it really is.

I'm of course liking the game quite a bit, but I do have some niggles:

For the things that this new installment brings (climbing + shooting, climbing + grabs, better cover mechanics, and more rounded gun options); I really miss the melee system from the first game, the pluming smokey explosions are gone, and the game is overall easier on "hard" than Drake's Fortune was.

I miss sixaxis balancing on narrow objects. Created a small bit of tension, especially if you were trying to run across.
-----------

Also note: I suggest that everyone play with subtitles on as its a fairly common problem for voices to not activate during cut scenes (this may have been patched/fixed by now). I had it happen one time, but it lasted the entire scene which was a longer one. I'd read about the problem on the Blu-ray forums so luckily I knew to start the game with subtitles and didn't miss anything.

While I don't mind playing FPS games on sticks, I pretty much won't play if it's a competitive MP game. Single player I have no problem with, but I wouldn't touch something like COD or BC2 online with my ps3. It's more there for the SP experience.

PS3MediaServer kick's arse over 360 and media center for the just simply way of install, and everything plays, you dont need to tweak a million things, i hated my 360 for media.

lollerskates it is not worth the trouble to go find a specific version of some software to make it work. 360 works right out of the box and takes less than 3 minites to setup a connection between PC and 360 on a vista/7 machine

Luckily, my wife is also a heavy gamer, and has only in recent years gotten into PC gaming. She's very much into shooters, zombies and blowing sh*t up as well, lol.

There had better not be a day that goes by where you don't tell her how much she rocks. Most guys are not that lucky! My girl enjoys gaming, but she's not hardcore into it by any means; i.e., she will not take it upon herself to play a game if I don't initiate it. She likes games like Super Mario Galaxy/Kart and LBP but doesn't see what all the fuss is about when it comes to GTA, COD, etc. Maybe I need to keep looking... :D

I'm kind of the opposite of the OP.

I grew up on consoles. Loved the NES, SNES, SEGA Genisis, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, N64, PS, PS2 and XBOX. Sometime around 2004 my boss introduced me to PC gaming with fps like SOF2 and it's online community.

I was hooked.

While having lots of classics on previous consoles, I could no longer go back. I've since then have been building computers for friends and keeping up with my machine, and even have a spare in my bedroom hooked up to my TV for media center purposes.

There really is no better media center then a htpc that can play highend games and store blurays on your hdd with all your music and internet.

I use a Steelseries glass mouse pad and a wireless Logitech Revolution mouse and Dinovo Edge bluetooth keyboard, and I can use this on my couch and it's flawless. Games look and run so much better on my 60" dlp then with the 360 or ps3 that I have.

Lately I find myself just using the consoles for when I have friends over and play guitar hero and two player games. Even though I do have two xbox controllers compatable with my pc, there's just not enough multiplayer games on Pc.

Anyways loved consoles back in the day, but feel like it's a step backwards not forwards. Most innovation seems to keep comming on the PC with new directX's, 3D technology (PC has this first), Eyefinity, Physix, etc. More to come in the future I'm sure as consoles are now going to be on a 10 year lifespan according to Sony.

When I was really into gaming, I have always had a mixture of both. I started as a console gamer, but that was before most people owned a PC. I switched to PC when I had one and rarely enjoy the console experience.

My parents had a Pong machine though I don't remember it. I do remember playing Pole Position on the wood cabinet Atari with metal switches and the various Atari models after it. I remember playing Intellivision after that with games like B-17 bomber with the voice pack which was almost as big as the console. It was around the time of the Nintendo 8-bit that I drifted towards the PC.

I have never liked Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Castlevania, or any of the classic console games. I just can't get into them and still to this day. I remember watching/playing them off and on at friend's houses but more watching than playing. I did enjoy games like Contra and Ikari Warriors. I remember liking the Genesis for side scrolling action games like Streets of Rage, and Altered Beast. I never got into the sports games though and pretty much everything else I played was now on the PC. We never owned a Super Nintendo.

After that my brother got a Playstation, but I never liked the Sony controls/controllers so I really don't remember playing it. I remember buying a Sega Saturn with the import cartridge so I could play All Japan Pro Wrestling. After that I owned a Dreamcast with a handful of games. I would say the Nintendo 64 we used the most. My friends still have fond drunken memories of Goldeneye, the THQ/AKI wrestling games, Mario Kart, and all the various racing games.

I bought an Xbox for Soul Caliber and that was about it. I never owned a PS2. I bought a 360 but it ended up being used as an extender and ended up with a second one as another extender. I would probably pick up a PS3 if they got down to 360 Arcade prices, but not really sure why. I have a Wii someone gave me as a gift which sits in a drawer.

When I have time to game I play the PC. I rarely play a game on the 360 if so it is a demo since I don't know if I actually own any 360 games. They just don't hold my interest. I have tried FPS on the console but other than back on the 64 I have never been able to play as well or accurately with the controller.

I think ultimately I just don't get the things console gamers like or accept. $49.99 was and still is my max I will pay for a game. I don't understand paying for Live. I don't get the acceptance of DLC. I don't get console exclusives. I don't get console exclusive content. I could go on and on. I understand this stuff from a business perspective, but I don't understand why the fans have accepted it so easily with little to no fight.

I wish I could get into console games. I try them when a game looks good, but they always disappoint either with the controls, the camera, or just the overall game imho.

Back