My "from PC to Xbox 360 to PS3" experience

Gigantism

Gawd
Hi all,

Just got a PS3 on Thursday, and I wanted to share my experience with those on the fence about getting the console.
First of all a little background info:
-I’m 30 years old
-I’m a long time PC gamer
-The only console I ever owned was a PS1

2-3 years ago, my cousin got a Xbox 360, and has been bugging me since for me to get one also.
I kept telling him that most good games are available on PC, while the controls and graphics are better.
I personally didn’t care for Halo and Gears of War, and even FPS games in general. Being a long time PC gamer, I was never able to transition from Keyboard + mouse to dual analog. I was aware that consoles controllers were best for Fighting, racing and sports games.
But I was able to do that on PC too since I have a gamepad for PC. So everything was clear in my mind: I do not need a console.
Everything a console can do, my PC can do it too and better.

Last August, I moved in with my gf, who owns a 360.
At first, I thought it was kinda cool, as a “media center”, streaming movies from my PC to my TV seamlessly.
I was still not using it for gaming.

Then, a couple of months ago, the Dante’s Inferno demo came out. This was the turning point:
For the first time, I found myself having a lot of fun, and was sad to see the demo end. For the first time, I was sad to know that Dante’s Inferno wasn't gonna come out on PC. For the first time since 1997, I bought a console game.

I bought Dante’s Inferno used, for $40, and I had a blast. The controls were fun, the graphics were good, the gore and violence was sick.
Also, I must say I enjoyed playing on my Bravia .
Quickly after finishing Dante, I bought Ninja Gaiden 2 (which is good, but not as good as I hoped) and then Fifa 10.

Then, after talking to my friends about Dante’s Inferno, and how much fun it was, all I could hear was: God of War, God of War and God of War.
That got me thinking. I remember my friends talking about it a few years back. I saw a few of them play the game a couple of times even.
I had never tried it personally.
But then God of War 3 was coming out soon, and my gf started to talk about buying me a PS3 :D

So here I am: I got my PS3 on Thursday. I didn’t buy GOW3 because I was told to get GOW collection first, and play through the 1st two.
So I did buy it, and am playing through the 1st one at the moment.
I borrowed from friends:
Heavy Rain, Uncharted 1 & 2, Assassin’s Creed 2, Infamous, MGS4 and Little Big Planet (for gf).
I also found Burnout Paradise for $9.99 at walmart yesterday. I bought it since my gf was a huge fan of Burnout revenge on Xbox.

My impressions: The PS3 interface is slick looking. As a media center, it’s not as good as 360. Updating the system was a breeze.
However, updating games took FOREVER!! Others had mentioned it, and it is as bad as they described (updating Burnout took almost 1 hour!).
I must say, I used to love the Playstation controller when I used to own my PS1, but this time around I find the 360 controller to be better.

The games are beautiful and good! No real difference with 360 there (I find) although I didn’t do a side by side comparison or anything...just general impression.

All in all, I’m loving it! I’m loving playing Fifa and Soulcalibur on 360, I’m loving playing GOW and burnout on PS3 (haven’t had a chance to try the other games yet). I am lucky enough to have a 360 and PS3, but I find that both systems are good, and similar enough to make a good decision either way if you can afford only one. I gotta give Sony the advantage as far as exclusive titles go though, in my opinion.

My gf bought the Pirates of the Caribbean triology on Blu-Ray yesterday. I am very curious to see if the picture and sound will be THAT much better (haven't watched them yet).

That’s it for me, I hope my experience will help some people who weren’t convinced yet.

Cheers!

Honeymoon period. Please reply to your own post a year from now. That will be your true experience. Your story might remain the same...but I will be willing to bet, some of the shiny will wear off.

I have had every console and a gaming PC for the last few years. I cannot honestly say I prefer one platform over the other because I game across them all pretty evenly (minus my Wii that only gets used for the few and far between first party titles). Here lately I've been playing Stalker SoC (forgot I had it on Steam from a while back for $2.50), Perfect Dark on 360 Arcade, and a little bit of Little Big Planet for Family Game night. I also use the PS3 as my main BD player. And I've been playing BFBC2 on PC a bit.

I also use the 360 for Netflix and to connect to my Vista PC for the TV shows I have Media Center set up to record. But I find that the PS3 has been better to stream videos to through TVersity for when I download my Anime and some other videos due to it's wider compatibility with different formats/codecs.

So, IMHO, I don't think you can have everything on one platform, so why restrict yourself to just on platform? Depending on what you like to do/play, you're going to at least be missing out on some of the capabilities of the other competitors, so I just choose to no restrict myself :D.

Honeymoon period. Please reply to your own post a year from now. That will be your true experience. Your story might remain the same...but I will be willing to bet, some of the shiny will wear off.

I had a similar experience as him making a transition to consoles many years ago. I suppose I technically started gaming on consoles when I was a kid - had a nintendo and a super nintendo, and that was it. My parents bought me a playstation, but I never played it. When I got it I was at the age were I started learning computers, and sort of took off with that. My first real video card was a Voodoo3 2000, and it was awesome. It started my reign of PC gaming... and for years that was all I played. I got into Half-Life and CS, and I pretty much swore off consoles at that point.

I never really desired a console again until the 360 sprouted up, and I was lucky enough to win one in that mountain dew every ten minutes thing. So I snagged up a few launch titles and figured if I didn't like it I could more than get my money back on the games by selling the system. Turned out, I loved it. I think I ended up buying every launch title, I dropped a few hundred on games the month that system was released. A few years later now, I still have said 360, a PS3, and a Wii... and I haven't touched a computer game in ages. Counter strike got stale for me and that was all I really played in the later years of my time on PC. The only games I really miss on PC are RTS games (really, just Total War series), and I will still play those from time to time, but I don't spend a lot of time with it. I'd rather chill back on the couch with a controller in hand.

I also rather prefer the cost of consoles versus PC. There was a time when I spent all of my money to have the latest and greatest PC hardware. It was like a cycle, id get a new video card one month, motherboard the next, then CPU, then a ram upgrade, then maybe a new HDD, and now i've come full circle and im ready for another video card. I did watercooling and crazy overclocking and blah blah blah... and one day I realized im pouring thousands of dollars into keeping my PC current. I don't mind the initial $300-400 invest on a console knowing that I'm never going to have to pay to put parts in it again.

So... I was a "hardcore" PC gamer... and I gave that up for consoles. Years later, I don't really miss it.

I am sure that it will be the case...
However I'm also sure that in a year from now, there will have been a few more awesome games that will have come out, for both patforms, and that I will still be enjoying it.
:)

I also have a 360 and PS3, and the only thing I would comment about the OP is that the PS3 is a MUCH better Media Center device than the 360. If you install "PS3 Media Server" on your computer and connect with your PS3... you'll be able to view virtually any format on your PS3 and it'll transcode any video format in real-time to the PS3 so basically any file type can be viewed. It's simple, and easy to use and is just awesome when you have a large collection on a Media Server.

So I would give that a try and I would also invest in the PS3's BD-Remote accessory which is a lot better than using the controller for movies and anything else you're just viewing on the PS3. For your own reference: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/im...8&n=468642&s=videogames&qid=1269275358&sr=8-1

And also, as far as graphics go... Uncharted 2 is probably the best looking console game I have ever seen... not to mention the story and action and gameplay are all extremely top notch (however, I would play the first game first, because going from Uncharted 2 to 1 will be a shitty transition). And if you are a PC gamer like me, I can understand your transition difficulties going from KB+Mouse to controller... but there is a first person shooter you must try for PS3 and it's called "Killzone 2." That's the best looking first person shooter i've seen on a console. And no, you don't have to play the first one (which sucks) to get the second one so you're all good. And the only other suggestion I would have is Metal Gear Solid 4. If you've never played any of the previous ones I would highy highly suggest to because there are many things and references you need to know and understand about the previous games to get the whole story of Snake, but I have heard people really enjoying it without playing any of the previous games so that choice i'll leave to you.

I personally barely touch my 360... the games, blurays, and content overall on the PS3 is way better... not to mention I don't have to pay to play online or anything. But enjoy your console because the PS3 is a great device and is well-made and I have enjoyed mine since the first month it released. Also, get on the PSN and download a bunch of demos too... there are plenty for you to explore.

Cheers!

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I also have a 360 and PS3, and the only thing I would comment about the OP is that the PS3 is a MUCH better Media Center device than the 360. If you install "PS3 Media Server" on your computer and connect with your PS3... you'll be able to view virtually any format on your PS3 and it'll transcode any video format in real-time to the PS3 so basically any file type can be viewed. It's simple, and easy to use and is just awesome when you have a large collection on a Media Server.

So I would give that a try and I would also invest in the PS3's BD-Remote accessory which is a lot better than using the controller for movies and anything else you're just viewing on the PS3. For your own reference: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/im...8&n=468642&s=videogames&qid=1269275358&sr=8-1

And also, as far as graphics go... Uncharted 2 is probably the best looking console game I have ever seen... not to mention the story and action and gameplay are all extremely top notch (however, I would play the first game first, because going from Uncharted 2 to 1 will be a shitty transition). And if you are a PC gamer like me, I can understand your transition difficulties going from KB+Mouse to controller... but there is a first person shooter you must try for PS3 and it's called "Killzone 2." That's the best looking first person shooter i've seen on a console. And no, you don't have to play the first one (which sucks) to get the second one so you're all good. And the only other suggestion I would have is Metal Gear Solid 4. If you've never played any of the previous ones I would highy highly suggest to because there are many things and references you need to know and understand about the previous games to get the whole story of Snake, but I have heard people really enjoying it without playing any of the previous games so that choice i'll leave to you.

I personally barely touch my 360... the games, blurays, and content overall on the PS3 is way better... not to mention I don't have to pay to play online or anything. But enjoy your console because the PS3 is a great device and is well-made and I have enjoyed mine since the first month it released. Also, get on the PSN and download a bunch of demos too... there are plenty for you to explore.

Cheers!

Yes! I just just heard about the PS3 media center! I will install that tonight!

I have borrowed Uncharted 1 & 2, and MGS4 already. Although I haven't had a chance to try them yet, there are at the top of my list :)

As far as Killzone 2 is concerned, it has been recommended to me many many times (along with Resistance 2) but I really feel retarded when playing FPS on console.

I don't know what it will take for me to get comfortable, but it's just not working for now.
And it's not due to a lack of trying :(

Yes! I just just heard about the PS3 media center! I will install that tonight!

I have borrowed Uncharted 1 & 2, and MGS4 already. Although I haven't had a chance to try them yet, there are at the top of my list :)

As far as Killzone 2 is concerned, it has been recommended to me many many times (along with Resistance 2) but I really feel retarded when playing FPS on console.

I don't know what it will take for me to get comfortable, but it's just not working for now.
And it's not due to a lack of trying :(

Bottom line is, the more you play the more comfortable it will get.

Note: And remember when you go to download it, it's called "PS3 Media Server" not "Center."

Last edited:

Cheers!

thanx for telling me about PS3 Media Server, never knew there was a program that could transcode on the fly

but one quick question about the program, im trying to set the option under mencoder to use the "enhanced multicore support for h264 hd content" and when i check it a get a warning saying its experimental, but after i hit ok the setting stay unchecked, so am i doing something wrong that its not checking it?

EDIT: Found out that you need a specific version of java, 6u10 32-bit to be exact, in order to enable it. now that its enabled, i guess ill try out some streaming later today :)

also, any other tweaks i should before i stream, is everything set up nicely by default?

Last edited:
Bottom line is, the more you play the more comfortable it will get.

Note: And remember when you go to download it, it's called "PS3 Media Server" not "Center."

I guess you're right...I mean since my PC is still strong enough, I wasn't gonna bother..
FPS = PC...
But yeah, there are a few titles that are console exclusive (ie Killzone). Maybe in time I will feel less retarded LOL.

And thanks for the PS3 Media Server link ;)

And the only other suggestion I would have is Metal Gear Solid 4. If you've never played any of the previous ones I would highy highly suggest to because there are many things and references you need to know and understand about the previous games to get the whole story of Snake, but I have heard people really enjoying it without playing any of the previous games so that choice i'll leave to you.

To the OP, I'm not going to tell you not to play the first few MGS games before playing 4, but I will say that if you haven't played the previous games the story will be unbearable. Or at least it was for me. Seriously, the cutscenes go on FOREVER an weave a needlessly complex story that could easily be conveyed in smaller chunks.

I know I've complained about this before, but I don't want to watch a 30 minute cutscene. The game itself is pretty good, but the story and cutscenes are garbage.

To the OP, I'm not going to tell you not to play the first few MGS games before playing 4, but I will say that if you haven't played the previous games the story will be unbearable. Or at least it was for me. Seriously, the cutscenes go on FOREVER an weave a needlessly complex story that could easily be conveyed in smaller chunks.

I know I've complained about this before, but I don't want to watch a 30 minute cutscene. The game itself is pretty good, but the story and cutscenes are garbage.

i thought it was interesting, the short bits of gameplay made it feel like an interactive movie :p

Thanks, but I was actually a HUGE MGS fan!
MGS1 was my first awesome experience on console (I think that was the very first game I ever finished, along with Diablo).
I never finished MGS2 due a glitch on PC.
I was never into MGS3 due to a change in direction (survival thing).
I am looking forward to MGS4, as the story is supposed to be really really good, and I heard it really feels like a movie.
All I can say is: Snake is the man! :)

MGS1 was my first awesome experience on console (I think that was the very first game I ever finished, along with Diablo).
I am looking forward to MGS4, as the story is supposed to be really really good, and I heard it really feels like a movie.

Yeah, I understand that I'm in the minority on this one. When I got my PS3 a buddy of mine insisted that I get MGS4. He said it was pretty much the greatest thing ever. Needless to say, I was hugely underwhelmed. I'm playing as an old man, but I have to watch 30 minutes of a ninja annihilating 100 of the same damn robots that have been killing me throughout the last level. No thanks. 30 minute cutscenes are intolerable, I don't care what game. And it's not like there's only one cutscene that's that long. They're pretty much all that way.

Sorry for venting, but every time that game is mentioned I see red.

Yeah, I understand that I'm in the minority on this one. When I got my PS3 a buddy of mine insisted that I get MGS4. He said it was pretty much the greatest thing ever. Needless to say, I was hugely underwhelmed. I'm playing as an old man, but I have to watch 30 minutes of a ninja annihilating 100 of the same damn robots that have been killing me throughout the last level. No thanks. 30 minute cutscenes are intolerable, I don't care what game. And it's not like there's only one cutscene that's that long. They're pretty much all that way.

Sorry for venting, but every time that game is mentioned I see red.

Not to mention when you defeat each "boss" their story is all basically the same story, that was what was so disappointing!

I do have to say the climax of the game was very very good, made it all worth it in the end.

Not to mention when you defeat each "boss" their story is all basically the same story, that was what was so disappointing!

I do have to say the climax of the game was very very good, made it all worth it in the end.

So you're saying I should give it another go? I could just skip the cutscenes, but I just got so fed up with the game that I decided not to go back. I've finished several games since then, and I just can't bring myself to get back to MGS. I considered reselling it without finishing, but I guess I can slog through it.

x100

I loved my Xbox360 when I first got it, even though I only had one game. I almost completely dropped PC gaming, with the exception of the odd game of CS. Now I only play the yearly sports games on my Xbox360, and play everything else (except 360 exclusives) on my new PC.

I have to admit that I've been burning to play the Uncharted games and Killzone 2, but it's not enough to warrant the $299 or whatever it is for a PS3 in Canada these days. TBH... if Linux was supported by the new PS3s and ran better, I might consider it.

So you're saying I should give it another go? I could just skip the cutscenes, but I just got so fed up with the game that I decided not to go back. I've finished several games since then, and I just can't bring myself to get back to MGS. I considered reselling it without finishing, but I guess I can slog through it.

Well I thought the ending made the game worth playing through. It definitely lives up to it's Movie Gear Solid nickname, far more so than it's precedessor's.

You will be disappointed by the stupid boss's backstories, they are not unique at all, they are the same shit for each boss.

You will see some fucked up shit Raiden does that is utterly impossible, but again, the ending made it worth setting all those negatives aside for.

I think you could beat the game in 12? hours? if you watch every cutscene. Skipping em? Probably 5-6 hours or less. I personally played through it once, then never touched it again, it has no replay value for me.

But again, playing the game to the end, especially if you already have it is advised. It's definitely one of the best console experiences I've ever had, even as I note it's shortcomings quite harshly, a large amount of that is due to the story near the end.

x100

I loved my Xbox360 when I first got it, even though I only had one game. I almost completely dropped PC gaming, with the exception of the odd game of CS. Now I only play the yearly sports games on my Xbox360, and play everything else (except 360 exclusives) on my new PC.

I have to admit that I've been burning to play the Uncharted games and Killzone 2, but it's not enough to warrant the $299 or whatever it is for a PS3 in Canada these days. TBH... if Linux was supported by the new PS3s and ran better, I might consider it.

Right.
I guess I was lucky to have a gf who gifted it to me.
When you get a PS3 that you didn't have to pay for, all you do is borrow games and enjoy them.

im planning on getting a ps3 in one or two years, you know, when gran tourismo 5 finally comes out :rolleyes: lol

ive gone full circle. now that affordable pcs shit on current gen console graphics,the games are way way cheaper. pretty much any pc game release supports a 360 controller and they are the best media centers and far more reliable hardware wise, steam makes sure all games are fully up to date 360 and ps3 have just as many patches aswell. ill probably change my mind again when the next gen consoles come out and a pc equivalent costs 1000 quid

Last edited:
Among my friends, I am the only PC gamer. I get to play console games at their place and I absolutely hate the experience. I've played all the latest and most hyped console games as they've bought them and called me over. I really can't stand console gaming. Everything about them feels like compromise. Compromise for limited controls, for innacurate analog sticks, auto aim, 3rd person cameras, games that are more movies than games, annoying over the shoulder shooting cameras, quick time events, terrible FOV, etc. These are not and will never be gaming to me.

I loved consoles but my last was the Dreamcast. The console to me was for arcade games and arcade style games rarely exist anymore that have that feeling anymore aside from some fighting games. Now we have a new genre of next gen gaming - that is the console 3rd person platformer in the vein of God of War/Prince of Persia/Uncharted/Dante's Inferno/Assasin's Creed/Just Cause, etc. which all combine the things I hate most like over the shoulder shooting, analog stick aiming, 3rd person cameras, and quick time events. To me, that is the worst genre of gameplay that has ever existed but that is my own opinion and I am in the minority there. It kind of bugs me. I have been at parties before where I have pretended that I hurt my hand at work just so I didn't have to pick up the controller to play Gears of War when it was handed to me.

This is really a critism of this genre though, and not to consoles overall. I hate these games on PC as well. There is just something about 3rd person cameras that make me feel queasy and distant from the game. I wish all games were first person because for me, 3D is about immersion and I need 1st person perspective to vicariously feel that I am there. I am playing Mass Effect now and not 5 minutes go by that I wish the game was in 1st person everytime I see something nice. The only reason I am enjoying GTA IV right now is some like minded and industrious person made a 1st person mod for it. I need to explore as part of my natural personality, and I need to explore in 1st person.

Last edited:
duuuuuude Just Cause 2 is so much fun. The literal story elements are only ok, but its one of the most fun sand box games probably ever. Not since Far Cry have I been this intrigued by a sandbox game. Don't play Just Cause 2, play with it.

Overall, I don't play videogames nearly as much as I used to. Because of this, I've cut loose several parts of my gaming life to focus on the few things that I do play. This has meant dropping PC gaming almost completely. My PC is still good enough to play current games out to my HDTV in 720p, but besides Kane and Lynch recently, I haven't played a game on PC since Fallout 3 released. I stick to my PS3 because that's where most of the games are that I do want to play. I did recently try the Bad Company 2 PC beta and was actually surprised to see how much better it looked on my PC-----but it really isn't that important to me. I'm part of the Blu-ray.com clan for the PS3 version so I can pretty much log in any time of day and have people to play with. I have tons of fun with them.

Thanks guys for keeping this civil. It is nice seeing the thought process that people went through on their current choice of primary platform. I think we can agree that it is a good thing we have a choice to our personal preference.

Just got a new rig (gotta update sig), and it is when it is new, and I got a fast graphics card (ATI 5870) and the latest tech, that I enjoy PC gaming the most. Got all the details ramped up and having a blast playing World at War, Borderlands, etc. etc. This lasts about a year....then the card that was once of the fastest becomes a middle of the packer and shortly afterword, not fast enough to enjoy fast frames on the latest games. That's the problem on the PC....it simply rules with shooters and no matter how much you play 'em on console you don't have the control/precision as on a PC. But, keeping up with GPU technology is expensive. On the other hand, great fun is to be had on GoW, Darksiders, sports, racing, etc. etc. (BTW, I have a 360 and PS3). There is no perfect world when it comes to gaming unfortunately. And I can never get totally confortable with shooters on a console.

PC purists are in denial, and if not, snobbish ;)
Many of them make a direct comparison of games when they should appreciate the different style/type of games offered by the console platforms. As much as FPS sucks on console for PC gamers, they never gonna see games like ICO, God of War or Castle Crashers on their PC.

PC purists are in denial, and if not, snobbish ;)
Many of them make a direct comparison of games when they should appreciate the different style/type of games offered by the console platforms. As much as FPS sucks on console for PC gamers, they never gonna see games like ICO, God of War or Castle Crashers on their PC.

Good to know. I guess I just assumed that since the game had already been released the DLC would be available.

Edit: Wow, that's definitely not the post I meant to quote. Not sure how that happened. And while I don't agree that all PC purists are elitist, the guy above certainly sounded like he was. Uncharted 2 and God of War 3 are two of the best games I've played in a long time, but since they're played with a controlled and not a keyboard and mouse they're somehow inferior? Game like that actually play significantly better on a controller in my opinion.

Last edited:

Honestly, Metal Gear Solid 4 is the best game on PS3. I grew up with the Metal Gear Franchise through the years... and there are just some drop-dead awesome parts in Metal Gear Solid 4. The people here playing down the game by saying "The ninja does impossible stuff, the cutscenes are too long, the bosses stories suck..." my guess is that the people are just not as big fans of the Metal Gear Series or have not played the previous games because if you played the previous games then all of that should be expected (I didn't think the boss stories sucked especially since there were references to past bosses with the same names).

Since I was a kid... I mean, I played Metal Gear Solid when it came out in 1998. Back then, Blockbuster (I think) rented out consoles and I rented a Playstation and one of the demos on the disc that came with it was for Metal Gear Solid and I loaded that bad boy up and I was hooked. We were too poor to buy a Playstation back then but years later I played it and became hooked to the franchise and story-line. The background and story is very deep and having played all of them... Metal Gear Solid 4 is what I expected it to be... amazing.

If you're jumping into the franchise with MGS4, you're going to miss so many things that make the game great... all the nostalgic references and places... But then again, I imagine it's hard for this generation to go back to Playstation-era graphics but still, MGS still to this day is a amazing game despite being released 12 years ago now.

But that aside, all the things that people bitch about regarding MGS4 should all be expected if you're a fan of the series or have even played the previous games because it's the 1st MGS game to have long cut-scenes. But anyway, that was just my two cents... I would certainly not dissuade you from playing the game because the gameplay is great, controls are solid, the story is great, and the game has replay value (imo). I'm currently playing it through the fifth time... but then again I am a big fan of the series.

WTF, I've played ALL MGS games except the 3rd one because I didn't have the console for it at the time, that somehow makes my criticism less valid??? Or anybody elses for that matter?

You might wanna rephrase things there, sir. MGS4 was no doubt one of the best console experiences I've ever had, but it's by no means a perfect game. If you want perfection, I got 2 words, Zelda 64, that's a hard one for anybody to dispute. MGS4 has it's flaws, it is not without blemish.

I understand you got a lot of love for the games and the franchises, but love in this case, cannot overcome the fact that imperfections exist :p

Cut scenes are inordinately longer than any previous entry in the series by far! Yes, Raiden does some ultra unrealistic things, and that does detract from the story. Not only that, the story for each boss is the SAME. I don't know how else to put it, but that's a far cry from each boss having their own unique story from MGS1 and 2.

If you can't see those flaws, I don't really have anything to say, some people can just be blinded because they are such fans of a franchise, and that's their right. It still won't change the fact that people who can be objective can see these flaws and discuss them.

If you're jumping into the franchise with MGS4, you're going to miss so many things that make the game great... all the nostalgic references and places... But then again, I imagine it's hard for this generation to go back to Playstation-era graphics but still, MGS still to this day is a amazing game despite being released 12 years ago now.

I'll admit, MGS4 is the first MGS game I've played. That said, 30 minute cutscenes are unacceptable. I haven't played a single game that has told a story that is worth that. Maybe the story would have made sense if I had played the first 3, but a game is not a movie. Games can have cutscenes (I enjoyed the ones in Uncharted 2 and God of War 3), but the ones in MGS 4 were utter bullshit. I'm sure they could have told the same story just as effectively with significantly shorter cutscenes. I'll likely finish the game eventually, but I will skip every single cutscene from here on out.

WTF, I've played ALL MGS games except the 3rd one because I didn't have the console for it at the time, that somehow makes my criticism less valid??? Or anybody elses for that matter?

You might wanna rephrase things there, sir. MGS4 was no doubt one of the best console experiences I've ever had, but it's by no means a perfect game. If you want perfection, I got 2 words, Zelda 64, that's a hard one for anybody to dispute. MGS4 has it's flaws, it is not without blemish.

I understand you got a lot of love for the games and the franchises, but love in this case, cannot overcome the fact that imperfections exist :p

Cut scenes are inordinately longer than any previous entry in the series by far! Yes, Raiden does some ultra unrealistic things, and that does detract from the story. Not only that, the story for each boss is the SAME. I don't know how else to put it, but that's a far cry from each boss having their own unique story from MGS1 and 2.

If you can't see those flaws, I don't really have anything to say, some people can just be blinded because they are such fans of a franchise, and that's their right. It still won't change the fact that people who can be objective can see these flaws and discuss them.

Obviously you are confused because nowhere did I state anything in my post as pure fact nor did I say it was perfect... because that's impossible. People are going to have a different opinion about everything. I don't have to admit anything is wrong or agree with you on anything if I don't see it the same way. Imperfections to one person may be passable or the opposite to another. All I was saying to the OP was that if he thoroughly enjoyed the previous games then he will enjoy MGS4 and to not feel that he shouldn't play it just because some people didn't like certain parts. I was merely reinforcing how much I enjoyed the game and what I enjoyed about it being a long-time fan of the series... and just a fan of good games in general.

I don't have any biased... if a game is shit then it's shit but for me personally the first time I played the game through, I was so into the story I never noticed how long the cutscenes were because it was just all part of the interactive experience.

The cut-scenes are just one of the ways Kojima tries to pull the audience into the story. And still in my own opinion, the cut-scenes only felt long maybe the third time playing through it, because by then I knew everything there is to know, however the game answered a lot of questions and hit a lot of story points from the series that needed to be addressed.

It's just a difference of opinion... what you think were flaws, I just don't see it as that. Your criticisms weren't any less valid than my praises. I mean, regardless of what either of us think, the game has been a huge success and was a definite system seller and all I can do is encourage others to experience what I have experienced.

I am a huge MGS fan...
I really wanted to play MGS4 when it came out, and almost bought the PS3 for that.
I did hear a lot of good things about the game, and also some negative comments.
This is to be expected. After all, Kojima is a little out there, and everyone wouldn't just dig his style.
I can also understand that so many long cut scenes can be a turn off for some.
The owner who lent me the game even told me "The game is really good, the story is awesome...but in the end you realize that you just haven't played it all that much...there is a lot of watchin...".

I know what to expect, and I respect the fact that people can be divided when it comes to recommending the game or not.

Nothing new there...

Just got a new rig (gotta update sig), and it is when it is new, and I got a fast graphics card (ATI 5870) and the latest tech, that I enjoy PC gaming the most. Got all the details ramped up and having a blast playing World at War, Borderlands, etc. etc. This lasts about a year....then the card that was once of the fastest becomes a middle of the packer and shortly afterword, not fast enough to enjoy fast frames on the latest games. That's the problem on the PC....it simply rules with shooters and no matter how much you play 'em on console you don't have the control/precision as on a PC. But, keeping up with GPU technology is expensive. On the other hand, great fun is to be had on GoW, Darksiders, sports, racing, etc. etc. (BTW, I have a 360 and PS3). There is no perfect world when it comes to gaming unfortunately. And I can never get totally confortable with shooters on a console.

I couldn't agree with you more. Each platform has it strenghts and shortcomings.
The best gaming experience IMO (and for those who can afford it) is to own a PC (of course) and a console (or more).

To think that one of them can do it all and is the best at it and is the most affordable is just ignorance.

Performance = PC
Affordability = Console
FPS, RTS, MMO = PC
Everything else = Consoles

The PS3 interface is slick looking. As a media center, it’s not as good as 360

PS3MediaServer kick's arse over 360 and media center for the just simply way of install, and everything plays, you dont need to tweak a million things, i hated my 360 for media.

PS3MediaServer kick's arse over 360 and media center for the just simply way of install, and everything plays, you dont need to tweak a million things, i hated my 360 for media.

PS3MediaServer works for both the PS3 and 360 so it doesn't matter either way.... I use it for both of mine depending on which console is already on when I feel like watching something.

Back