My friend took his daughter to Macy's in NYC

Like I said, it's like saying 'show me the detailed plans for a nuclear bomb'--very few people on this planet will have this secret information.

There are ways to pack information into the second file streams on ntfs that's never seen normally, there are ways to run things on intel processers on the hardware level without anyone noticing. It goes fathom that the technology is there to monitor and transmit all this information, and unless you're at the very pinnacle of the technology we're discussing and can break all security clearances, nda, gag-orders, etc. that you've had to execute to prove that this technology doesn't exist and is in use, I think it's the other way around--the mics are guilty until proven innocent. At least that's how I'm going to view it as long as evidence that I personally have seen doesn't 'add up' with what I know.

That's not how logic works, sorry.

Ever heard "extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence?" You need to show that this monitoring is actually happening; asking someone to prove it's not happening is ludicrous. Just citing anecdotal experience and saying that it's technically possible (which isn’t necessarily true) isn't enough. Besides, Occam's Razor most definitely applies. What's more plausible: that the companies aren't always listening, or that there's a vast conspiracy where every company with a voice assistant is listening all the time, on every device, with perfectly undetectable technology for... what reasons, exactly? It wouldn't even be very effective, since it'd produce tons of garbage data and kill battery life.

Quite frankly, this is confirmation bias: you want to believe that what you've experienced is evidence of a sinister strategy, so you're coming up with ways to justify that belief. "You see, it's just so well hidden that legions of security researchers have never discovered evidence of intentional always-on listening." I can't say I'm immune to confirmation bias, but the actual, quantifiable evidence makes it unlikely that they're spying on you.

Last edited:
Nope, I don't need a phd thesis analysis on what's going on to believe it. The data leak stories are starting to hit the news such as the Alexa leak, and more will come as the systems inadvertently divulge what they're doing. These devices are monitoring everything, not only when summoned to do so--you can believe it now, or wait for the confirmation in the years to come.

And another bit of proof is how It happened again yesterday. A random conversation with my wife about using Cheetos for cooking and a few hours later recipes for the same the same thing appears on her facebook feed. A little bit too coincidental for my tastes. My wife thought it was funny, but I wanted to lock that phone in the fridge.

Nope, I don't need a phd thesis analysis on what's going on to believe it. The data leak stories are starting to hit the news such as the Alexa leak, and more will come as the systems inadvertently divulge what they're doing. These devices are monitoring everything, not only when summoned to do so--you can believe it now, or wait for the confirmation in the years to come.

And another bit of proof is how It happened again yesterday. A random conversation with my wife about using Cheetos for cooking and a few hours later recipes for the same the same thing appears on her facebook feed. A little bit too coincidental for my tastes. My wife thought it was funny, but I wanted to lock that phone in the fridge.

If you are cooking with Cheetos, maybe you have bigger issues than people spying on you ;)

You (or your wife) worried about the phone "spying" on you and you have a facebook account? Interesting.

You (or your wife) worried about the phone "spying" on you and you have a facebook account? Interesting.
Nope, it's just a coincidence that a device that's constantly listening to speech happens to pull up something without any intentional command that was related to the speech. And it's not the first time. Yeah, nothing to worry about. This will turn out peachy in the end a couple of years down the road. :rolleyes:

Back